Buckley vs. Vidal during election season: Intelligent, dignified loathing

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
There are a zillion clips of William F Buckley and Gore Vidal going after each other on political matters. As cool as they are to watch, they're a sad reminder of how far contemporary political rhetoric has sunk. A reflection of our culture in general, of course.

The moderator, I forget his name, (Howard K Smith?) clearly isn't terribly fond of Republicans, and during introductions he refers to Buckley as a "conservative Republican" and Vidal as an author. Some things never change, I guess. :rolleyes-41:

These two guys loved to hate each other, but the way they debate is fun to watch. Unless, of course, you're partial to today's childish hyperbole, distortion and showbiz. These guys wouldn't get much interest today, you actually have to pay attention -- they're a bit too articulate and dignified, not enough third-grade slap fighting.

There are a zillion clips of William F Buckley and Gore Vidal going after each other on political matters. As cool as they are to watch, they're a sad reminder of how far contemporary political rhetoric has sunk. A reflection of our culture in general, of course.

The moderator, I forget his name, (Howard K Smith?) clearly isn't terribly fond of Republicans, and during introductions he refers to Buckley as a "conservative Republican" and Vidal as an author. Some things never change, I guess. :rolleyes-41:

These two guys loved to hate each other, but the way they debate is fun to watch. Unless, of course, you're partial to today's childish hyperbole, distortion and showbiz. These guys wouldn't get much interest today, you actually have to pay attention -- they're a bit too articulate and dignified, not enough third-grade slap fighting.

---long long ago-----I was a teenager-------I was forced ---by high school history teacher----to TUNE into a sunday morning "news" show every week------I watched
a discussion between Vidal and Buckley------at one point----BUCKLEY stood up----LOOMED over Vidal and-------kinda yelled IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP ---YOU PINKO QUEER, I AM GOING TO PUNCH YOU--------I have never seen that footage again and no one believes me....... really-----it happened-----I swear

---long long ago-----I was a teenager-------I was forced ---by high school history teacher----to TUNE into a sunday morning "news" show every week------I watched
a discussion between Vidal and Buckley------at one point----BUCKLEY stood up----LOOMED over Vidal and-------kinda yelled IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP ---YOU PINKO QUEER, I AM GOING TO PUNCH YOU--------I have never seen that footage again and no one believes me....... really-----it happened-----I swear

Now THAT wouldn't be very intelligent OR dignified!

:laugh:

It happened-----something like 1964 (???) ----really-----it happened---I think
that the film was DESTROYED-------it never came back...........no one believes me

that the film was DESTROYED-------it never came back...........no one believes me

Found it, you were right!

Back then, calling someone a Nazi was a big deal, even crypto-Nazi!

I do not have speakers who said "crypto Nazi"?? ------what I recall was
more like PINKO QUEER------buckley to vidal and HE STOOD up to say it.
My guess would be it would be Vidal saying "crypto Nazi" to buckley

I do not have speakers who said "crypto Nazi"?? ------what I recall was
more like PINKO QUEER------buckley to vidal and HE STOOD up to say it.
My guess would be it would be Vidal saying "crypto Nazi" to buckley

Vidal had called Buckley a crypto-Nazi, and the video starts off with Buckley saying "now listen you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll nail you in the goddamn face."

Yes....dignified. So very dignified.

In Mac's weird passive aggressive world.....it's fine for two political pundits to be rude and petulant.....as long as they use proper language.

Those two ushered in the era of profitable insult politics for American media corporations and set a fine example of how two smart people can help make other people dumber. They do not deserve our praise. And they'd both tell you that if you were able to ask them.

Earmuffs, bitch.

Forum List

Back