Bucket List Moment: My Day At Saratoga Race Course

TruthSeeker56

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2011
New Hampshire
Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending the horse races at "The Spa", also known as Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York.

Saturday was Whitney Stakes day, along with 10 other races, including four additional graded stakes races.

Wow, what a historic, beautiful venue!. Saratoga oozes a history that began in 1863.

The grandstands. The roof spires. The beautiful infield. The statues. The Go For Wand gravesite in the infield. The dirt track and the two turf tracks. The trumpeters announcing each race. The legendary Tom Durkin in his booth calling the races. The beautiful racehorses. The jockeys. The whole atmosphere was simply MAGICAL.

The ghosts of Secretariat, Man o' War, Gallant Fox, Whirlaway, Damascus, Dr. Fager, Go For Wand, and countless other legendary racehorses, were all there at Saratoga, as I walked around and took photos.

The Whitney Stakes is where Onion defeated the legendary Secretariat in 1973.

Saratoga is where the top filly Go For Wand broke down during a stretch duel with Bayakoa in the 1990 Breeder's Cup Distaff. Go For Wand is buried at the finish line in the Saratoga infield.

Saratoga is where a horse named Upset dealt Man o' War his only defeat.

Name any top racehorse from the past, and chances are excellent that they raced at Saratoga.

On Saturday, I had the honor of walking around Saratoga, taking plenty of photos, and watching 11 races, including the $1.5 million Travers Stakes, which was appropriately won by Secretariat's great, great grandson.........a horse named Moreno.

I actually bet on three winners, and a 4th horse to show, but it wasn't about winning bets. My visit to Saratoga was a pilgrimage that I will never forget.

Forum List

Back