Brunswick Police Officer arrested for Terrorist Threats.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
I'm sure that Police Officer Crawford of the Brunswick Police Department had learned that he could do pretty much whatever he wanted in Uniform. The badge and uniform gave him unquestionable authority to do anything. He could pummel a person and claim they were resisting arrest. He could threaten them without any problem and swear it was a warning if they failed to comply or whatever.

But that authority, that power, was not international. And it was limited to when he was on duty, in his area. Crawford's brother apparently got into a fight with another man. The other man was in court answering charges of assault. In Georgia, those things are normally handled fairly casually. Sometimes it is written off as "mutual combat" which means that the two guys got into a fight, and now it's all over. Sometimes it is written off as Disturbing the Peace. That means a minor fine, and "conditional probation" which means the Judge says that we will ignore it if you don't do it again for a couple years. So for a while you need to avoid fights.

Brunswick police officer arrested after alleged incident in McIntosh Co.

Apparently this normal response of the courts was intolerable to Crawford. I mean, it was his family, his Brother, and what good is it to be a cop if you can't drop the proverbial hammer, or perhaps the literal hammer on someone fucking with your family.

Crawford to insure that nobody missed the fact that he was one of the Brotherhood showed up in court in Uniform, and with his Police Car. In Georgia, cops take their police cars home. However, Crawford wasn't working that day. After the case was over, Crawford stopped the malefactor and threatened him, shouting the threats in the hearing of three other cops, and the clerk of the court. In other words, in front of too many witnesses. In Georgia, the County Sheriff provides the bodies for Baliff duties. Crawford is a City Police Officer. There tends to be a bit of rivalry between the two departments in most counties. Sort of like in the Military when the Marines make jokes about the Army.

Crawford was just arrested for these Terroristic Threats and charged with the additional crime of Violation of Oath of Office. So the idiot who shouldn't have ever been a cop in the first place, didn't understand he couldn't throw his weight around any old time he wanted, and let his emotions override his obviously limited intelligence.

So now Crawford has to hope that the DA decides to let this be handled as a minor misdemeanor of disturbing the peace. Hopefully someone fires this idiot before he does any more damage to the community, and revokes his Certification to Police. Otherwise he'll just go get a job with another department and continue screwing up to the detriment of others.

Sadly, there is every chance that it will be handled just like that. The plea bargain will make it a minor thing, and even if he does leave the Brunswick Police Department, he'll get a job as a cop elsewhere. Perhaps older, perhaps even marginally wiser, but certainly no smarter.

Small town city cops......... What can ya say.

"Terroistic threats?" :eusa_whistle: We're not into hyperbole at all are we........... :eusa_whistle:

I'm sure that Police Officer Crawford of the Brunswick Police Department had learned that he could do pretty much whatever he wanted in Uniform. The badge and uniform gave him unquestionable authority to do anything. He could pummel a person and claim they were resisting arrest. He could threaten them without any problem and swear it was a warning if they failed to comply or whatever.

But that authority, that power, was not international. And it was limited to when he was on duty, in his area. Crawford's brother apparently got into a fight with another man. The other man was in court answering charges of assault. In Georgia, those things are normally handled fairly casually. Sometimes it is written off as "mutual combat" which means that the two guys got into a fight, and now it's all over. Sometimes it is written off as Disturbing the Peace. That means a minor fine, and "conditional probation" which means the Judge says that we will ignore it if you don't do it again for a couple years. So for a while you need to avoid fights.

Brunswick police officer arrested after alleged incident in McIntosh Co.

Apparently this normal response of the courts was intolerable to Crawford. I mean, it was his family, his Brother, and what good is it to be a cop if you can't drop the proverbial hammer, or perhaps the literal hammer on someone fucking with your family.

Crawford to insure that nobody missed the fact that he was one of the Brotherhood showed up in court in Uniform, and with his Police Car. In Georgia, cops take their police cars home. However, Crawford wasn't working that day. After the case was over, Crawford stopped the malefactor and threatened him, shouting the threats in the hearing of three other cops, and the clerk of the court. In other words, in front of too many witnesses. In Georgia, the County Sheriff provides the bodies for Baliff duties. Crawford is a City Police Officer. There tends to be a bit of rivalry between the two departments in most counties. Sort of like in the Military when the Marines make jokes about the Army.

Crawford was just arrested for these Terroristic Threats and charged with the additional crime of Violation of Oath of Office. So the idiot who shouldn't have ever been a cop in the first place, didn't understand he couldn't throw his weight around any old time he wanted, and let his emotions override his obviously limited intelligence.

So now Crawford has to hope that the DA decides to let this be handled as a minor misdemeanor of disturbing the peace. Hopefully someone fires this idiot before he does any more damage to the community, and revokes his Certification to Police. Otherwise he'll just go get a job with another department and continue screwing up to the detriment of others.

Sadly, there is every chance that it will be handled just like that. The plea bargain will make it a minor thing, and even if he does leave the Brunswick Police Department, he'll get a job as a cop elsewhere. Perhaps older, perhaps even marginally wiser, but certainly no smarter.

I hope he gets fired. Clearly an abuse of power.

"Terroistic threats?" :eusa_whistle: We're not into hyperbole at all are we........... :eusa_whistle:

No. That was the actual charge when he was arrested. From the linked article above.

James Dustin Crawford, who has served as a Brunswick police officer for nearly two years, was arrested March 21 after turning himself in on charges of making terroristic threats and violation of oath, Lowe said. The arrest stems from an incident that occurred March 16 at the McIntosh County Courthouse, Lowe said.

Don't blame me for the criminal charge. I didn't write the law.

No. That was the actual charge when he was arrested. From the linked article above.

James Dustin Crawford, who has served as a Brunswick police officer for nearly two years, was arrested March 21 after turning himself in on charges of making terroristic threats and violation of oath, Lowe said. The arrest stems from an incident that occurred March 16 at the McIntosh County Courthouse, Lowe said.

Ahh, missed that. Oops...... :dunno:

Not to worry. I know I am essentially discredited as a cop hater so the assumption of my ginning the story up or slipping the phrase in for emotional impact is understandable. I'm not upset or insulted.

2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES :: CHAPTER 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY :: ARTICLE 2 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER :: § 16-11-37 - Terroristic threats and acts; penalties

(d) A person who commits or attempts to commit a terroristic threat or act with the intent to retaliate against any person for:

(1) Attending a judicial or administrative proceeding as a witness, attorney, judge, clerk of court, deputy clerk of court, court reporter, probation officer, or party or producing any record, document, or other object in a judicial or official proceeding; or

(2) Providing to a law enforcement officer, adult or juvenile probation officer, prosecuting attorney, or judge any information relating to the commission or possible commission of an offense under the laws of this state or of the United States or a violation of conditions of bail, pretrial release, probation, or parole

shall be guilty of the offense of a terroristic threat or act and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished, for a terroristic threat, by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than ten years or by a fine of not less than $50,000.00, or both, and, for a terroristic act, by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years or by a fine of not less than $100,000.00, or both.

Five years. That is what the cop faces. Not less than five years if convicted. It will be interesting to see what it is plea bargained down to.

Not to worry. I know I am essentially discredited as a cop hater so the assumption of my ginning the story up or slipping the phrase in for emotional impact is understandable. I'm not upset or insulted.

2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES :: CHAPTER 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY :: ARTICLE 2 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER :: § 16-11-37 - Terroristic threats and acts; penalties

(d) A person who commits or attempts to commit a terroristic threat or act with the intent to retaliate against any person for:

(1) Attending a judicial or administrative proceeding as a witness, attorney, judge, clerk of court, deputy clerk of court, court reporter, probation officer, or party or producing any record, document, or other object in a judicial or official proceeding; or

(2) Providing to a law enforcement officer, adult or juvenile probation officer, prosecuting attorney, or judge any information relating to the commission or possible commission of an offense under the laws of this state or of the United States or a violation of conditions of bail, pretrial release, probation, or parole

shall be guilty of the offense of a terroristic threat or act and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished, for a terroristic threat, by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than ten years or by a fine of not less than $50,000.00, or both, and, for a terroristic act, by imprisonment for not less than five nor more than 20 years or by a fine of not less than $100,000.00, or both.

Five years. That is what the cop faces. Not less than five years if convicted. It will be interesting to see what it is plea bargained down to.
I've had run ins with small town cops, many have very little training. I did contract work with federal law enforcement in DC, DOD and with the Virginia State Police, because of the type of work I was involved in I had to undergo an intensive four week mini-police academy then firearms training all of which I had to pass with at least an 80% score rate for Virginia alone, the federal course was tougher. After that it was firearms requal and a week long "refresher course" every year, they didn't mess around.

I've had run ins with small town cops, many have very little training. I did contract work with federal law enforcement in DC, DOD and with the Virginia State Police, because of the type of work I was involved in I had to undergo an intensive four week mini-police academy then firearms training all of which I had to pass with at least an 80% score rate for Virginia alone, the federal course was tougher. After that it was firearms requal and a week long "refresher course" every year, they didn't mess around.

Most cops across the country have very little training. It takes longer to be a barber that a cop.

States require more training time to become a barber than a police officer - CNN.com

Forum List

Back