British Enfield Desert Storm

SayMyName

Live, Love, Laugh.
Dec 30, 2011
Shanghai, China
I never was one to fall in love with cars and bikes and such, but while in India over the last 6 months of 2013, I fell in love with this bike. When I needed to get around fast, I started with a scooter, but, one day when I saw what seemed to be a relic from the British Army in India colonial days outside Kulapalaiyam, along the southern coast, my heart raced. I suppose it was a sense of love. If and when I ever go back, I will get another.

Anyone else enjoyed these beautiful beasts from the past? You can read more here....Classic Desert Storm - Features, Specification & Reviews

RoyalEnfieldDesertStormCycle1a_zps07a0e06a.jpg

Last edited:
Why not just get one? The military version is still available. Reminds me of the Triumph Daytona 500 produced in the late 60's and early 70's. Fun bike for it's size.

Cool bike!! . :thup:

I had no idea that they still made them. . :cool:

Neither did I. I was outside the Solar Kitchen in the international village of Auroville, India when I first saw one. I did not realize I was standing there just staring with my mouth open until my love smacked me on the shoulder, walking away, sighing, "Good, Goooood!" As if I was staring at a woman.

Neither did I. I was outside the Solar Kitchen in the international village of Auroville, India when I first saw one. I did not realize I was standing there just staring with my mouth open until my love smacked me on the shoulder, walking away, sighing, "Good, Goooood!" As if I was staring at a woman.
Most women just don't "get it" when it comes to bikes and cars. .. :eusa_angel:

80 to 90 miles per gallon of gas.

Hmmm, I will have to think about that. Petrol was sold by the liter for about, goodness, it was cheap, I know that. I will have to give it some thought on how much I paid in dollars. Maybe 180 rupies a liter. It fluctuated weekly. I think I would fill up once a week perhaps, but only put about 2 or 3 liters at a time and drove everywhere throughout the country on the roughest of trails...hell, what am I saying...cattle paths.

Oh, and I forgot to ad, you don't have to buy one. You can rent it by the day or week. I paid for mine one week at a time. I only wrecked once, and paid maybe 2600 rupies for all the damage. I was lucky in that crash.

Last edited:

From a 500cc carb'd cycle? BULLSHIT!

Hmmm, Let's just say I was riding on average about 10 kilometers a day, or about six miles. I filled up with one or two liters a week when I rode by the small shop that sold petrol out of a big pot. So, 70 kilometers for the week, costing say 2 liters. That equates to about 140 kilometers a gallon, or 86 miles. Hmmm, not sure if this correct, but I can only go by what was going on. I agree with you, it seems high, but maybe he is right. But, then, there were a couple of days a week I probably did not ride. I might have to figure that sum in there somewhere.

Last edited:

Probably. The claim comes from royalenfieldmotorcycles.com. Be interesting to hear from someone with actual experiance on one.

Goodness, I don't know, but my figures could be right, though I hadn't thought about it...seem to come out along with my experience...here they say 39 kilometers per liter, which would be about 140 for gallon...or 80 some miles per gallon. Sounds high, I agree, but there you have it.

http://www.choosemybike.in/new-bikes-in-india/royal-enfield-bikes-india/royal-enfield-classic-desert-storm-price-and-features

Hmmm, Let's just say I was riding on average about 10 kilometers a day, or about six miles. I filled up with one or two liters a week when I rode by the small shop that sold petrol out of a big pot. So, 70 kilometers for the week, costing say 2 liters. That equates to about 140 kilometers a gallon, or 86 miles. Hmmm, not sure if this correct, but I can only go by what was going on. I agree with you, it seems high, but maybe he is right. But, then, there were a couple of days a week I probably did not ride. I might have to figure that sum in there somewhere.

In perspective, even a modern 500cc bike with EFI won't get 80MPG! A Honda CRF230 (with a tiny 230cc EFI engine) won't top 75. A carb'd 234cc Rebel or Nighthawk or a V-star 250 (248cc) will manage 65-70.

OK, I checked out bunchs of online reviews. Looks like 45 to 60 mpg is more accurate. A few claims of 70+. Couple had claims of 80+, one even as high as 98. The bulk of them claimed the 45 to 60 range. I guess if you weigh 90 lbs and are going downhill at coasting speed you get great mileage.

OK, I checked out bunchs of online reviews. Looks like 45 to 60 mpg is more accurate. A few claims of 70+. Couple had claims of 80+, one even as high as 98. The bulk of them claimed the 45 to 60 range. I guess if you weigh 90 lbs and are going downhill at coasting speed you get great mileage.

I wonder if fuel would play a part in this. You usually do something you would never do with a bike in the States, and that is get it the only place you could in the country, off the front step of a little shop, sold by the liter in a little formerly used water bottle. I was told it was no problem, and never had any issues...

there is quite a bit of owner experience over on ADVRIDER from a couple of ROYAL ENFIELD owners . The bikes are nice bikes in my opinion and are slowly getting better mechanically from what I've heard but i also hear that they are still in the 50s - 60s which is alright if that's what a guy wants . The military is nice as well as the Café and the trail , dirt bike , trials or whatever its called . The trials is assembled at home from R.E. parts that are sold by R.E..

Forum List

Back