Bridge Over the River Kwai (free HBO MAX)

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I have seen the movie before, Bonzi had not surprisingly.
We watched it last night.
It is a great movie. It is not really a war movie, even though obviously it is centered around WW II.
It is a story of perseverance, blind ambitions and pride. The movie portrays the good and the bad of each of these things.
The movie ends with a scene where the medic keeps repeating 'It's madness... madness... madness" As he stands and surveys the futility of all the mass suffering and death of war.
To me:
The British Colonel and the Japanese Colonel represents the two sides of war.
Both are willing to sacrifice the lives of others to win against the other.
The bridge represents the war itself. Enormous price is paid to build it, nothing is more important than building the bridge. The cost of lives and resources is meaningless, only the bridge matters.
And in the end, the bridge is destroyed. And everyone is dead.

I have seen the movie before, Bonzi had not surprisingly.
We watched it last night.
It is a great movie. It is not really a war movie, even though obviously it is centered around WW II.
It is a story of perseverance, blind ambitions and pride. The movie portrays the good and the bad of each of these things.
The movie ends with a scene where the medic keeps repeating 'It's madness... madness... madness" As he stands and surveys the futility of all the mass suffering and death of war.
To me:
The British Colonel and the Japanese Colonel represents the two sides of war.
Both are willing to sacrifice the lives of others to win against the other.
The bridge represents the war itself. Enormous price is paid to build it, nothing is more important than building the bridge. The cost of lives and resources is meaningless, only the bridge matters.
And in the end, the bridge is destroyed. And everyone is dead.
The movie was inspired by the construction of the Burma Railway in 1942–1943 but characters and plot are entirely fictional. Alec Guinness was good in the role of the Briitish colonel as was the Sessue Hayakawa as the Japanesse colonel. Don't remember much about William Holden's role.

The movie was inspired by the construction of the Burma Railway in 1942–1943 but characters and plot are entirely fictional. Alec Guinness was good in the role of the Briitish colonel as was the Sessue Hayakawa as the Japanesse colonel. Don't remember much about William Holden's role.
Holden's role was not memorable, he played the flippant American who only cared about himself.

The British surrendered to a relatively outnumbered Japanese force at Singapore so they were treated (unfairly) by the Japanese as an inferior race. The American forces finally rescued the poor bastards.

Forum List

Back