Breibart Sued

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Madeline, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/us/politics/13cpac.html?_r=1

» Andrew Breitbart on Pigford Lawsuit: ‘Bring It On’ - Big Government

The Sherrod lawsuit (which I assume is predicated on slander and invasion of privacy) should be interesting. I only know of the Pigford issue in passing, but what sort of fool would file if they could not prove their allegations?

Interesting stuff...Breibart seems to think he can defend on First Amendment grounds, but there is no First Amendment right to commit slander, libel, etc.

Whaca think?

2. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    a lot of people file stupid law suits

3. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Well, like I said, I really dun know a whole lot about the Pigford dispute. But donca think Sherrod has a case, Divey?

4. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    gonna be hard for her to prove damages when she ended up with an even better job than she had before

5. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    True, that.

6. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    I think she will end up regretting that she filed suit, at least against Breitbart.

Her claim is against the USDA and the NAACP, not Breitbart. Breitbart didn't fire her, the USDA did, under great pressure and with the applause of the NAACP. And the video was her, her own words, which she never has denied saying. Breitbart now admits that the segment he posted (he claims he didn't have the full video) was "out of context" with the full version, but nonetheless, it is her words and her words only. She said it, and she doesn't deny it. Did he do it with malice? He said, she said.....

It is telling that she isn't suing the USDA, nor the NAACP (who DEMANDED her firing), they are not named in the suit. Only Breitbart and people associated with his companies.

Breitbart is licking his chops. She has opened the door, and win or lose, he is going to win.

Its going to be a circus, with plenty of shit to go around for everyone!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    and if he has a smart lawyer, he will get a change of venue
    DC is hostile to anyone not democrat

8. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Like him or hate him, he's a smart guy who gets sued every day of the week. He has excellent lawyers, and they will take full advantage of this opportunity.

I don't think her case has merit, but that's my opinion. I won't be shocked if she wins a judgement against Brietbart.

But Breitbart will be the big winner in this when all is said and done. I guarantee you she will be on his Christmas card list until he is dead and gone, regardless of the outcome of her suit.

They didn't think this all the way through.

9. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Unless I'm mistaken, the USDA would have had a "thou shalt not bring disrepute on this employer" clause for Sherrod. Whether it would completely insulate them, who knows?

I dunno why she should sue the NAACP -- they were hardly alone in calling for her head.

10. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,277
    I think you can sue anyone for anything. It doesn't mean you're right.

She's just looking for cash. Hoping he'll settle out of court. Maybe she saw the movie "The Social Network". The people that sued the founder of Facebook got $65 million.

She has no damages because Obama offered her another job after she resigned, and she turned it down. These facts will have alot of weight in any court proceedings. Ms Sherrod resigned and wouldn't accept a higher paying job that was offered to her. It seems the NAACP and other Liberals overreacted. Its an example of Liberals turning on themselves. Seems they and others that harassed Ms Sherrod are the ones she needs to sue. But instead she wants to sue a Conservative.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011