Breast Feeding in public? Offensive or not?

Public breastfeeding?

• I'm not bothered by public breastfeeding at all

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I'm only bothered if the mother doesn't at least make an attempt to cover up

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Public breastfeeding disgusts me-covered or not.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Once in awhile, if done discreetly, I don't really see a problem with it.. But then again, I don't really see what you're doing in a mall for at least 2-3 hours if you have a child that small that you're breast feeding.. I can't imagine the child really cares for all that hustle & bustle, either.. There are always other alternatives - go into the bathroom, go back to your car, plan to be home when you know your child is going to be ready to eat...

Shattered said:
Once in awhile, if done discreetly, I don't really see a problem with it.. But then again, I don't really see what you're doing in a mall for at least 2-3 hours if you have a child that small that you're breast feeding.. I can't imagine the child really cares for all that hustle & bustle, either.. There are always other alternatives - go into the bathroom, go back to your car, plan to be home when you know your child is going to be ready to eat...
Kinda how I see it too.

Mr. P said:
Isn't this why they make the pumps? :duh3:

but then you have to use a bottle to feed the infant, and if you want to go anywhere with breast-milk in a bottle...tell me how you heat it up after it has been refridgerated for several hours?

Then there's the problem with bottle-to-breast confusion where the baby will have problems (not all babies) latching on, because they get confused between bottle and breast.

After I was cleared to drive following the birth, I used to go out for hours on end with Nathan, because I was suffering from severe post partum, and the only way I felt better was to be out of the house completely, and be around people. I probably would have been in bad shape had it not been for being out of the house for 4-5 hours. Nathan slept most of the time when he wasn't eating anyway.

mom4 said:
Those are a great idea. I wish they had had more of them when I was bf.

I know. I like the new one that the mall closest to me has built. It has soft leather sofas, outlets, lamps, magazines, and is separate from the bathroom area.

The mall I went to yesterday was an older one. I only nursed Nathan to 6 months because he would not latch on anymore after having the bottle all day at daycare.

Just look at the big hoopla over Janet Jackson popping her tit out at the Super Bowl, and that was a nice looking boob.

I think part of what turns poeple off about public breat feeding is, it's not an overly attractive thing to see.

I have to agree with Shattered too. I'd think a mother could, with a miniscule amount of planning, arrange her schedule so that she won't HAVE to be in public when this feeding requires.

Shattered said:

You know my wife breast fed all of our children in public at one time or another. What would you have a woman do on a plane at 30,000 feet??

You also make the assumption that everyone lives right nextdoor to a mall or store. some of us live out a little bit and it takes up to an hour to get to the mall or wherever you are going. So an hour there an hour home you are already at 2 hours and the time there 3 hours adds up very quickly. and why should parents plan there lives so as not to offend you because you find something natural disgusting....

I am not saying that the woman who just whips it out is right in fact I prefer discretion!! This being said all woman have the "RIGHT" to breast feed in public. I for one would rather have the baby fed than screaming..

Pale Rider said:

I have to agree with Shattered too. I'd think a mother could, with a miniscule amount of planning, arrange her schedule so that she won't HAVE to be in public when this feeding requires.

Do you have children?? if not this statement is wrong on so many levels. You can plan all you want but in the end the infant will dictate as to when it is hungry not you!!!

So all the planning in the world just doesnt always work. You and Shattered make it seam like these mothers just go to the mall to breast feed. I for one can tell you from experience that is not the case. You can try to plan for every contingency but hey shit happens deal with it if you dont like what you see dont look!!!

nukeman said:
You know my wife breast fed all of our children in public at one time or another. What would you have a woman do on a plane at 30,000 feet??

<b>You also make the assumption</b> that everyone lives right nextdoor to a mall or store. some of us live out a little bit and it takes up to an hour to get to the mall or wherever you are going. So an hour there an hour home you are already at 2 hours and the time there 3 hours adds up very quickly. and why should parents plan there lives <b>so as not to offend you because you find something natural disgusting....</b>

I am not saying that the woman who just whips it out is right in fact I prefer discretion!! <b>This being said all woman have the "RIGHT" to breast feed in public. I for one would rather have the baby fed than screaming..</b>

Did it ever occur to you to actually read my post prior to hitting the reply key? Show me where I said anything even remotely close to what you're implying.

Parents should plan their lives according to what's best for their children.

nukeman said:

You also make the assumption that everyone lives right nextdoor to a mall or store. some of us live out a little bit and it takes up to an hour to get to the mall or wherever you are going. So an hour there an hour home you are already at 2 hours and the time there 3 hours adds up very quickly. and why should parents plan there lives so as not to offend you because you find something natural disgusting....

I am not saying that the woman who just whips it out is right in fact I prefer discretion!! This being said all woman have the "RIGHT" to breast feed in public. I for one would rather have the baby fed than screaming..

Whats the big deal...it is a natural event...not sexual..doesn't bother me at all...I suppose it bothers those who feel guilty for trying to sneak a peek! :dunno:

nukeman said:
You also make the assumption that everyone lives right nextdoor to a mall or store. some of us live out a little bit and it takes up to an hour to get to the mall or wherever you are going. So an hour there an hour home you are already at 2 hours and the time there 3 hours adds up very quickly.
This is exactly right. We live a 1/2 hour drive from a commercial area, and when I was breast-feeding, we didn't even have a decent grocery store close by. So that's an hour drive time, right there. Then only an hour to get through the store? To save gas money, we only went grocery shopping once a month. It took a good two hours to get through the store.

Also, there's the fact that babies aren't robots. They don't eat EXACTLY every 3 hours. You might feed the kid once an hour for three hours, then it will sleep for 3 hours. You can usually guesstimate when the baby will be hungry, but it's an iffy business.

mom4 said:
This is exactly right. We live a 1/2 hour drive from a commercial area, and when I was breast-feeding, we didn't even have a decent grocery store close by. So that's an hour drive time, right there. Then only an hour to get through the store? To save gas money, we only went grocery shopping once a month. It took a good two hours to get through the store.

Also, there's the fact that babies aren't robots. They don't eat EXACTLY every 3 hours. You might feed the kid once an hour for three hours, then it will sleep for 3 hours. You can usually guesstimate when the baby will be hungry, but it's an iffy business.

This would be one of the occasions I referred to when I said that once in awhile, and if done discreetly, it's fine.. You need groceries.. You know how far you live.. You planned accordingly by doing as much as possible in one trip.

Nowhere have I stated I find it the least bit repulsive, but rather stated that it's more a bonding period for mother and child, and regardless of the different reasons someone may choose to breastfeed, I don't much think the children care for all the hustle & bustle of constantly "eating out", either. It's supposed to be a peaceful time...

Just because I don't think it should be done constantly, doesn't mean I'm opposed to it, or find it "gross".. I don't.

I think Nuke's had one too many aimed at his head.

I didn't breast feed for several reasons. Breast feeding in pubic was not something I was totally comfortable with even though that reason alone was not the reason I decided not to breast feed.

I know from my experience, parents don't always have total control of their infants nursing/feeding times and they can surprise you, despite your best planning. My husband worked days and nights up until my daughter was 3, I was often stuck doing almost all errands during the week. Total pain dragging an infant, stoller and supplies everywhere on the bus, but it had to be done. And better a nursing baby, than a screaming baby. Right?

Shattered said:
This would be one of the occasions I referred to when I said that once in awhile, and if done discreetly, it's fine.. You need groceries.. You know how far you live.. You planned accordingly by doing as much as possible in one trip.

Nowhere have I stated I find it the least bit repulsive, but rather stated that it's more a bonding period for mother and child, and regardless of the different reasons someone may choose to breastfeed, I don't much think the children care for all the hustle & bustle of constantly "eating out", either. It's supposed to be a peaceful time...

Just because I don't think it should be done constantly, doesn't mean I'm opposed to it, or find it "gross".. I don't.

I think Nuke's had one too many aimed at his head.
This is kind of my POV, too. I tried to stay home as much as possible when my kids were little bc I think it gives them a sense of stability. I really tried not to cart my kids around from pillar to post just to "keep them busy." I think kids need to feel secure first, then they will have the confidence to explore.

But some women don't have that option; they have to work. And buy groceries, clothes, etc.

Maybe Nuke has witnessed his wife being the victim of some nasty treatment, and that's why he's so defensive. Some people can be VERY rude to bf-ers. Kudos to him for standing up for his wife! :)

Sometimes I feel an emotional dislike for our society. Our society is so jacked - we promote destructive behaviours and even give them special rights, yet the most natural, the most basic behaviours are frowned upon. We live in a society where a fat man with HUGE tits can go topless because he's a man, but a woman - even a "Carpenter's delight" does the same and she'll get a ticket.

Feeding a baby isn't something from which I'd EVER shield my kids' eyes. Women have boobs to feed babies; it's biology. Now, as most men have mommy-issues, of COURSE we like 'em too. Still, Noticing a woman feeding her baby shouldn't even be an ISSUE...to ANYONE.

I'd also think long and hard about removing from custody of the parents those kids whose Mom breast-fed them past about age 2. Even 18 months is pushing it, IMO. 7 or 8? Forget it...that parent has serious mental issues.

dmp said:
I'd also think long and hard about removing from custody of the parents those kids whose Mom breast-fed them past about age 2. Even 18 months is pushing it, IMO. 7 or 8? Forget it...that parent has serious mental issues.
I agree that those women do have issues. But removing the child from custody? That's WAY extreme IMO.

But thanks for supporting breast-feeding moms in general! :)

mom4 said:
I agree that those women do have issues. But removing the child from custody? That's WAY extreme IMO.

But thanks for supporting breast-feeding moms in general! :)

But...I fear they would be raising seriously jacked-up kids. Maybe as bad as them turning out to be liberals. Ugh...:(

I don't deserve thanks for supporting things which just make sense. When I lived in Germany there were boobies everywhere; some I didn't ENJOY seeing. After about 6 months of tee-hee'ing, I sorta just relaxed, and things were never a big deal after that.

Now - most of those were just bewbies hanging out there...and that didn't bother me. But a woman Feeding her kid? C'mon America. Pull your head out of your 4th-point-of-contact.

:D

nukeman said:
Do you have children?? if not this statement is wrong on so many levels. You can plan all you want but in the end the infant will dictate as to when it is hungry not you!!!

So all the planning in the world just doesnt always work. You and Shattered make it seam like these mothers just go to the mall to breast feed. I for one can tell you from experience that is not the case. You can try to plan for every contingency but hey shit happens deal with it if you dont like what you see dont look!!!

Don't blow a gasket fire cracker. I think you're over reacting a little. There's only one "level" here we're talking about. And yes, I have a son.

My point is, feed the kid in the car "before" you take it into public, where you still have a fair amount of privacy. Not sit down and whip out the tit five minutes after you enter a store.

If it's OK to peel out your tits in public to feed a baby, then it should be OK to bare 'em WHENEVER.

The ClayTaurus said:
There's your reason for it not being legal.

It's a maturity thing, maybe? Folks around here like to speed because it's against the law. They like to Drink under-age cuz it's agaisnt the law, too.

If I started a country, it'd be like this:

Driving age: 18 (and completion of Skip-Barber type course)
Drinking age: 16 (with parent present)

Forum List

Back