BREAKING NEWS: Justice Souter to Retire

Maybe you don't understand my question correctly.

Why would the AMERICAN civil liberties union, defend a FOREIGN citizen? Especially if he's being charged with terrorism... you know, the same kind of terrorism that brought down our towers on 9/11?

Why not let Human Rights Watch or the Red Cross or any of the other far left international organizations take care of this. Why does an AMERICAN leftist organization have to do this?

ACLU is NOT leftist

That's like saying Skinheads aren't rightists. OF COURSE THE ACLU IS A FAR LEFT FRINGE GROUP.

Everything they've done in the past decade has been to defend the civil liberties of foreign citiziens who have tried to commit terrorism!! If you are an AMERICAN lawyer, you defend AMERICANS - NOT FOREIGNERS - ESPECIALLY FOREIGNERS WHO TRIED TO KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE!
you have no idea if they really tried to kill americans because they never went to trial.

The ACLU interprets the Second Amendment as a collective right. Therefore, we disagree with the Supreme Court’s decision in D.C. v. Heller. While the decision is a significant and historic reinterpretation of the right to keep and bear arms, the decision leaves many important questions unanswered that will have to be resolved in future litigation, including what regulations are permissible, and which weapons are embraced by the Second Amendment right that the Court has now recognized.
As always, we welcome your comments.

Yeah, but that's disingenuous, particularly coming from lawyers who ought to understand the reasoning and history of the amendment. The fact is, the ACLU chooses to view it as a collective right for political reasons, and then puts out the talking points in support of it. That's what I am talking about by picking and choosing.[/QUOTE]

you are wrong about how the ACLU came to it's position.

You either didn't read this or didn't understand it. The ACLU wasn't defending the 2nd amendment. They were involved because of what they saw as intrusive 'investigations' on the part of the police.
actually they were defending Texas State Law which say you can carry a concealed weapon in your car. And either way they were defending someone right to carry a weapon.

actually they were defending Texas State Law which say you can carry a concealed weapon in your car. And either way they were defending someone right to carry a weapon.

You don't understand how this case worked. Go back and read it again and look at the supporting documents and you will see why the ACLU was involved. It was because they were worried about intrusive searches. Basically a 4th amendment issue for them.

You don't understand how this case worked. Go back and read it again and look at the supporting documents and you will see why the ACLU was involved. It was because they were worried about intrusive searches. Basically a 4th amendment issue for them.
you are taking one quote and saying that is their basic issue.
Read my post of their joint statement. Kind of seems like they protecting the gun owner's rights to me.

you are taking one quote and saying that is their basic issue.
Read my post of their joint statement. Kind of seems like they protecting the gun owner's rights to me.

You should go re-read the statement. How much you see about the 2nd amendment in there? It's not even a 2nd amendment case to begin with, it is a case dealing with Texas statutory law. Go back and read it and you'll see what it is about and why the ACLU was involved.

Mind you, I think the ACLU was right in their position, but it had absolutely zero to do with the 2nd amendment.

this will be interesting
will Obama go far left like GInsburg, or replace him with a moderate, like Souter was

Do you know what the difference was between Ginsburg's opinions and Souter's?

you know, given that you've applied different labels to them.
lets put it this way
a Souter type would likely be the best i would hope for
And maybe who he picks will prove people wrong. Roberts has proved me wrong. Yes he conservative but he is not far right as many liberals stated.

this will be interesting
will Obama go far left like GInsburg, or replace him with a moderate, like Souter was

Do you know what the difference was between Ginsburg's opinions and Souter's?

you know, given that you've applied different labels to them.
lets put it this way
a Souter type would likely be the best i would hope for

personally, i'd love to see another justice like souter. but truth is, he has always voted with the liberal wing of the court. that's why i'm not sure what the actual difference is between the two.

what i do know is that since souter, no one is allowed to get away without the roe v wade litmus test... souter was a huge disappointment to the right and a great surprise to the left.

[
And maybe who he picks will prove people wrong. Roberts has proved me wrong. Yes he conservative but he is not far right as many liberals stated.

Anyone who examined Roberts' record would have known better than to think he was a far-right extremist. Which is why he received so much support and recognition across the political aisle.

Alito, on the other hand...

Anyone who examined Roberts' record would have known better than to think he was a far-right extremist. Which is why he received so much support and recognition across the political aisle.

Roberts is given respect because he's a jurist...even if one doesn't agree with him, one has to admire his scholarship...

unlike Alito who was rightfully given the name, Scalito...

Roberts is given respect because he's a jurist...even if one doesn't agree with him, one has to admire his scholarship...

unlike Alito who was rightfully given the name, Scalito...

Yes, I agree. In fact, looking purely from the standpoint of jurisprudence, I think Roberts is the best justice on the Court. So I wasn't too sorry to see him on there or even in the role of Chief Justice, even though I tend to have a differing view on many social issues.

I also think the doctrine of judicial restraint ought to be used more often than it is today, and Roberts seems as likely as anyone on the court to employ it.

[

I agree but when I was watching the appointment I was not up on my politics, I pretty much didn't care to investigate for myself and went along with what someone told me. And like Jillian said he is jurist and I feel he is not usually partisan.
And as for Alito, I don't even want to start on him. I think he is far right extremist who has no place on the supreme court and Thomas is his lap dog.

Forum List

Back