BREAKING NEWS: Chi @ GB - People walking out of the stands!!!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by xotoxi, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Missourian

Missourian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,362
    False dichotomy...it's not an either or situation.

Want to stop black people from getting shot at routine traffic stops? Reduce the 52% of all homicides in our nation that are committed by black males which make up a mere 7% of the population. Reduce the nearly 40% of all violent crime that are committed in this nation by that same 7% of the population...black males.

Link to statistics (fact check BBC Channel 4) FactCheck: do black Americans commit more crime?

Jessie Jackson summed it up...and you won't call him a racist for saying it..

"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” Jesse Jackson

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  2. Missourian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,362
    Everyone judges.

3. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,254
    Criminal resisting police capture like Philando Castile?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,254
    Then no one is a true patriot.

5. Missourian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,362
    That was a very unfortunate case.

One of the first things I did before carrying a gun the first time was research how to handle a traffic stop while armed. I learned rule one was to never say "I have a gun" or "I'm carrying a firearm"...but instead to keep my hands on the wheel, or in plain view and say "I have a CCW permit, how would you like me to proceed".

This is the video I watched...because I've read a lot of Ayoob's firearm related internet posts, and I trust his opinions.

Watch for yourself...he covers this topic in the first 30 seconds.

If you watch, or read the transcript of the dashcam video, you'll see that that is exactly the moment everything went wrong.

The officer says he smelled Marijuana in the vehicle, and that is what first sent him into alert mode.

Thirty seconds into the conversation, Castile begins to tell Yanez that he has a weapon.
    Castile: Sir, I have to tell you I do have a ...
    Yanez: OK.
    Castile: ... firearm on me.
    Yanez: OK
    Castile: I (inaudible)
    Yanez: Don't reach for it then.
    Castile: I'm, I, I was reaching for ...
    Yanez: Don't pull it out.
    Castile: I'm not pulling it out.
    Reynolds: He's not.
    Yanez: Don't pull it out.
    Yanez, whose hand had been near his gun, pulls out his weapon and fires seven rapid shots into the car, striking Castile five times.

Philando Castile shooting: Dashcam video shows rapid event - CNN
    Castile doesn't tell Officer Yanez that he has a legal firearm and a conceal carry permit...only that he has a firearm.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  6. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,744
    The people are demanding the govt tell them how to act patriotically. Yes, we don't need to think for ourselves, our govt can tell us instead.

7. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,254
    Your plan is a very smart way of approaching the situation properly. Obviously Castile did not know this or chose not to follow this when he was shot. I'm sure you would agree that this does not make him a "criminal resisting police capture" but rather a man who made a mistake or a very bad choice.

I believe the bigger issue here that the protestors are trying to bring to the forefront is that police enter an interaction with a black man with a heightened sense of danger...which is far more likely to end in tragedy.

If a white man in a business suit driving a Mercedes was in the same exact situation as the above, and did the exact same thing, the officer possibly would have told the man: "bring the gun out slowly with your finger off the trigger and place it on the dash". Maybe not...I don't know.

In my opinion, the protest is for a good reason...to increase awareness, to make people think before acting. It would be nice if the protest turned into action to force politicians to admit there is a problem, to increase/improve training of LEOs on how to diffuse situations, and to encourage and teach civilians (especially young black men and boys) on how to safely and respectfully deal with authority.

The problem is multifactorial and both sides have a role to play. However, one side has guns and power, while the other side is economically disadvantaged and has historically been oppressed.

8. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,617
    THANK YOU! I recorded Colbert last night and when I put it on this a.m, it was the fourth quarter of the game. I wondered what happened.

9. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,617
    Yes, I heard it. And yes, we are all fools.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. IsaacNewton

IsaacNewton Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,262
    Yes