Breaking: Justice Scalia has died

If this had happened say 2-3 months before the election I'd say they could stall that long and not get beaten silly over it. Not now, it's too far away. 9 months away, almost a year. A stall like that would herald in a permanent break-down of US Constitutional government.

If one party can in effect rule on their own in perpetuity by delay this form of government has run its course. We will have reached a point where one cohort in the population has deemed their beliefs trump the Constitution or form of government we have.

Go read some history, this is how democracies end. Not with a big bang, but by slow strangulation. I'm certainly not predicting anything, but history is not to be ignored.

This certainly brightened up my otherwise cold, dull day!

That's not a nice thing to say!

For the amount of damage that guy did....I do not feel one ounce of guilt.

Can't help but smile about this news :D
Adhering to the Constitution and enforcing law, written as intended, is damaging to you?

You're the last person who should pontificating about what the constitution means.

In another 2013 interview, Scalia stated that "In order for capitalism to work, in order for it to produce a good and stable society, traditional Christian virtues are essential"

His time and mentality is over :bye1:

If this had happened say 2-3 months before the election I'd say they could stall that long and not get beaten silly over it. Not now, it's too far away. 9 months away, almost a year. A stall like that would herald in a permanent break-down of US Constitutional government.

If one party can in effect rule on their own in perpetuity by delay this form of government has run its course. We will have reached a point where one cohort in the population has deemed their beliefs trump the Constitution or form of government we have.

Go read some history, this is how democracies end. Not with a big bang, but by slow strangulation.

I say they let Obama make a recess appointment, and the new justice will only serve until December. They will be out a job in January when the new Congress takes their seats.

Uh, Oh....Who is Uncle Clarence Thomas going to lean on now that his mentor is gone?

I don't rejoice over anyone's death and my condolences to the bereaved. Looks like Obama has the last laugh after all and his Obamacare is all but guaranteed well into the 21st century, BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

R.I.P 'Tony"
Trump will get to appoint three more justices, at least. Ginzburg is not long for this world. Kennedy probably also won't last through two Trump terms. Of course, the court can do a lot of damage in the meantime.

Let's have a Double Header .....Thomas next?

Just imagine the political fight that is coming.

Politically, a big fight will benefit the Democrats tremendously.
Maybe, maybe not.

It has to benefit the Democrats, because the issues that the typical conservative are going to throw a fit about if an Obama appointee holds are losing issues in the general population.

Wow, ya think ?
Got any other earth-shattering news, like maybe a report that JFK was assasinated ?

Uh, Oh....Who is Uncle Clarence Thomas going to lean on now that his mentor is gone?

I don't rejoice over anyone's death and my condolences to the bereaved. Looks like Obama has the last laugh after all and his Obamacare is all but guaranteed well into the 21st century, BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

R.I.P 'Tony"
Trump will get to appoint three more justices, at least. Ginzburg is not long for this world. Kennedy probably also won't last through two Trump terms. Of course, the court can do a lot of damage in the meantime.

So what?
It will now be 5 libs and 4 cons even if the R's do get the Presidency this fall.
Enough to do a lot of damage.

Article Two of the United States Constitution places the power of appointing Justices with the President of the United States, stating:

"he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint ... Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law..."​

More: Appointment and confirmation to the Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

President Obama will be the president for the next 10 months - and the Constitution gives him the power to nominate Supreme Court justices. Will rabid Conservatives try to deny his choice for partisan reasons?

R.I.P 'Tony"

ROFL! what a scumbag. Ginzburg is next to die. She can't even keep her eyes open during a state of the union address.

Article Two of the United States Constitution places the power of appointing Justices with the President of the United States, stating:

"he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint ... Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law..."​

More: Appointment and confirmation to the Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

President Obama will be the president for the next 10 months - and the Constitution gives him the power to nominate Supreme Court justices. Will rabid Conservatives try to deny him of that right?
Your damned skippy.

R.I.P 'Tony"

How about a trifecta, Obama, Hillary and Sanders? The nation would sigh with relief and I could realize my dream of pissing on Obama's grave

Time for leftists to celebrate, so their America-hating commie dictator in the White House can try to appoint another America-hating commie to the SCOTUS

President Obama will be the president for the next 10 months - and the Constitution gives him the power to nominate Supreme Court justices. Will rabid Conservatives try to deny him of that right?
Your damned skippy.

He can nominate away...getting a confirmation will be dicey

we can only hope. last thing we need is another anti American white male hating negro loving hispanic with a chip on her shoulder on the supreme court.

Forum List

Back