Braised short ribs

theDoctorisIn

Platinum Member
Senior USMB Moderator
Aug 12, 2009
In the center of it all
So I made short ribs for dinner, and I used my usual recipe:

Brown the short ribs, 1 minute per side on high heat. Put the meat aside.

Lower the flame to medium, and sautee a diced onion and 4-5 ribs of diced celery, until soft and fragrant.

Add 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce, 1 tbsp of dried thyme, 1 tsp of dried rosemary, 2 bay leaves, and 2 cups red wine. Reduce by half.

Add ribs back in, add beef broth until liquid almost reaches top of meat. Bring to a boil, then put in the oven at 325.

Cook for 2.5-3 hours, flipping at mid point.

Remove from oven, remove ribs from sauce. Strain sauce, throw out half of vegetable matter. Mix remaining vegetable matter with sauce, puree in blender.

Put sauce on stove, heat it to a simmer. Add sliced ribs.

Serve over mashed potatoes.

Something was missing. I'm just wondering if any of the foodies here have any tweaks to my recipe.

Maybe the juices should have been reduced or the meat was crap. I don't hardly cook much meat anymore they have all the fat and flavor removed...I bought sausage that was like sawdust....when my grandmother made it the stuff swam in grease and melted in your mouth

Lower the flame to medium, and sautee a diced onion and 4-5 ribs of diced celery, until soft and fragrant.

Add 2 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce, 1 tbsp of dried thyme, 1 tsp of dried rosemary, 2 bay leaves, and 2 cups red wine. Reduce by half.

Add ribs back in, add beef broth until liquid almost reaches top of meat. Bring to a boil, then put in the oven at 325.

Remove from oven, remove ribs from sauce. Strain sauce, throw out half of vegetable matter. Mix remaining vegetable matter with sauce, puree in blender.

Something was missing. I'm just wondering if any of the foodies here have any tweaks to my recipe.

Curious .....
Where does the recipe come from?
Are you talking beef ribs like these?
i-TChNnf8-L.jpg

Dunno. Sounds good though, so passing it on. I eat whatever she puts in front of me.

Curious .....
i-TChNnf8-L.jpg

Is everyone else getting a no pic?
Smugmug has always worked here in the past,

Curious .....
i-TChNnf8-L.jpg

I can't see your picture - but this is what I'm talking about (Beef short ribs):

short-rib-beef-stew-ale-short-ribs.jpg

As for the recipe, it's mostly from my head - an amalgamation of what a lot people have told me, and things that I read a decade ago.

Dunno. Sounds good though, so passing it on. I eat whatever she puts in front of me.

It is really good, but I can't help but think there's something I could tweak to make it better.

The slow braising allows the collagen in the meat to gelatinize, and make the meat insanely tender. You don't even need a knife.

It is really good, but I can't help but think there's something I could tweak to make it better.

The slow braising allows the collagen in the meat to gelatinize, and make the meat insanely tender. You don't even need a knife.

Billy drools.

Yes, you forgot to box it up and send it to me so it can GET IN MA BELLY.

Forum List

Back