Brain dead Medicaid patients on life support

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2009
Georgia
My son works for a private health nursing staffing agency staffing nurses for Medicaid patients. One of the things he does is staff nurses to watch totally brain dead folks on respirators. His company bills Medicaid $40 an hour for 84 hours each week to sit and watch these people that have no chance whatsoever of ever living a productive life again. His company bills Medicaid $3360.00 a week for this. He has numerous patients they staff for this.
Do the math. He states that with the other administrative work that is involved the total cost is $200,000.00 a year in tax payer $$ to keep these people alive.
He states that many parents and family do not want it but that many people just sit and watch their loved ones with no chance of any productive life. The reason they need the care is that these people can not blink their eyes as they have no brain function for this.
Ethically, he believes this is a waste of money even though his company makes a lot of $$ off of it.
I posted it in this section because he states that almost all of the families that demand this Medicaid program are very religous and will not allow their family members to be taken off of life support.
I saw this when my father died. Full ward of 85+ year old patients billing Medicare $5,000 a day in ICU in south Florida hospitals on respirators with no chance of ever doing anything. Everyone of them brain dead.
This has to change. No other country on earth allows this kind of waste.

Yes a quandry.
Death panels?
Do their relatives resist letting them expire?

I support death with dignity aka legal suicide for those with no hope.

That's what a living will is for. I've told my family NOT to keep me alive like that because it's not living at all. If you have no brain activity, you're dead. Period. Being on life support does nothing but sap $$ from whoever is paying for it, be it Medicaid or a retirement plan, etc.

Mom didn't have a living will, and there was no "do not resuscitate" order on file.
She had a stroke, went into a coma, and died in a hospital bed over the following 4 days.

Yes a quandry.
Death panels?

My girlfriend's dad just died. He was deep into alzheimer's, in and out of the hospital over the last several months. The last time he was in, it was because when he ate or drank anything..some of the food and liquids got in his lungs..and made him sick.

Even in his deep dementia..he knew he was in the hospital..and hated it. They had to give him mittens to keep him from ripping out the tubes. Before going home the last time, the doctor recommended he get a feeding tube put directly into his stomach.

This caused a rift in the family because it was a drastic procedure..that would only stave off the inevitable. Ultimately they chose not to do it. But that wasn't before the doctor got a last dig in on my girlfriend. He said "Mercy killing is illegal in this state".

In any case..he died peacefully at home..surrounded by people who loved him.

That..in..from where I sit..should be your final moments.

My son works for a private health nursing staffing agency staffing nurses for Medicaid patients. One of the things he does is staff nurses to watch totally brain dead folks on respirators. His company bills Medicaid $40 an hour for 84 hours each week to sit and watch these people that have no chance whatsoever of ever living a productive life again. His company bills Medicaid $3360.00 a week for this. He has numerous patients they staff for this.
Do the math. He states that with the other administrative work that is involved the total cost is $200,000.00 a year in tax payer $$ to keep these people alive.
He states that many parents and family do not want it but that many people just sit and watch their loved ones with no chance of any productive life. The reason they need the care is that these people can not blink their eyes as they have no brain function for this.
Ethically, he believes this is a waste of money even though his company makes a lot of $$ off of it.
I posted it in this section because he states that almost all of the families that demand this Medicaid program are very religous and will not allow their family members to be taken off of life support.
I saw this when my father died. Full ward of 85+ year old patients billing Medicare $5,000 a day in ICU in south Florida hospitals on respirators with no chance of ever doing anything. Everyone of them brain dead.
You might have a problem with those who fought to keep that poor woman, Terri Schiavo, on life support a few years ago.

The question of how far one should go in continuing life support is a complex one.

To turn this into a simple economic equation, like you do, is simply disgusting.

The question of how far one should go in continuing life support is a complex one.

To turn this into a simple economic equation, like you do, is simply disgusting.

I did not turn it into a "simple economic equation"
It IS a complex economic equation.
You with the help of government point a gun and confiscate my hard earned money to give to these people to care for someone that is already dead.
That is the simple truth. Sorry you can not deal with reality.

so humans are a waste to you.

You with the help of government point a gun and confiscate my hard earned money to give to these people to care for someone that is already dead.

what kind of gun did they use?

I don't believe you. Hospitals would send patients to hospice, not keep wards full of brain dead people.

:cuckoo:

Go to Lee county in Florida and Lee General in downtown Fort Myers if you do not believe me.
Hospitals have beds to fill. It took me 5 days to get Dad out of there and we had a DNR order in place. 125K later.
Medicare pays the bills and you do not believe they take advantage of it.

Something about profit. Wake up. I already know you are not very bright, naive and gullible as they come but why do you think Medicare fraud is at 20%.

what kind of gun did they use?

The kind that have bullets

Reading your posts are a waste and you are a human.

I don't think he is saying that....but if a family wants to keep a person alive past the point of return, that should be on their dime, shouldn't it?

I don't think he is saying that....but if a family wants to keep a person alive past the point of return, that should be on their dime, shouldn't it?

No.

Yes a quandry.
Death panels?

He's not talking about assisted suicide. He's talking about killing people who are vulnerable, against the wishes of their family.

As I've always said, this is where progressivism takes us. The same people who support abortion support this. They want people THEY view as a burden killed. And they want the state to make the decision. This is why they want to force people into state medical programs. It's all about culling the population, it always has been.

No.

Really? Interesting that we should be picking up that tab...when the person is past the point of return.

What is the point of us paying out for that, then? Explain.

human dignity, compassion and love, God's wishes

Forum List

Back