BP Fined $18.7 billion over Deepwater Horizon Gulf Oil Spill

blackhawk2415

Rookie
Jun 18, 2015
Settlement reached, BP is getting fined $18.7B dollars for their screw up. Although, I don’t think you can put a price tag on the environmental damage that has happened. Even though $18.7 Billion may seem like a lot, but when you look at the SEC filings for BP, this fine only puts in a minor dent in their operations. Something like this is definitely going to happen again, rest assured, and I really believe there should be more awareness and crack down on “accidental spills” (e.g. operations restrictions, quotas, etc.)

Excerpt:

BP has been hit with a record fine of $18.7 billion (£12 billion) from the US government and five US states five years after the catastrophic Deepwater Horizon oil spill off the Gulf Coast. The settlement is being described as the largest ever environmental fine. BP has faced a deluge of legal claims since the April 2010 catastrophe, in which 11 workers were killed.

[Source] [More...]

I don't think the fine amount is enough based on many considerations. Much of it having to do with their reckless behavior leading up to the spill and their attempts to cover up that reckless behavior after the spill. And of course using chemical dispersents when they shouldn't have. In other words, the list goes on & on.

And of course their maiming & killing large numbers of American oil workers on more than one ocassiin because of their ongoing reckless behavior on top of the environmental damage.

If I were king, I would have seized their assets and sold them at auction.

Good news. YOu fuck up, you pay.
No, big oil fucks up and the tax payers pay. The whole fine is tax deductible. Bend over an crack a smile, and BP will drive home the shaft.

When oil was $140.00 a barrel, gas was $4.00 a gallon. Now oil is more than 60% less, down to $56.00 a barrel, and we're still paying $3.00 a gallon for gas, down only 25%. That gives big oil another 35% profit. ISIS wishes it could fuck America that much.

Good news. YOu fuck up, you pay.
No, big oil fucks up and the tax payers pay. The whole fine is tax deductible. Bend over an crack a smile, and BP will drive home the shaft.

When oil was $140.00 a barrel, gas was $4.00 a gallon. Now oil is more than 60% less, down to $56.00 a barrel, and we're still paying $3.00 a gallon for gas, down only 25%. That gives big oil another 35% profit. ISIS wishes it could fuck America that much.
How long before we find out Exxon is buying oil from ISIS on the black market?

Forum List

Back