Bought a 3D Printer Tonight... Anyone Else Out There With One?

Yeah... they have the filament that looks like wood now too. Do you recycle your misprint filament? How do you do it?

Mostly I just throw it in the bin. I have a box of stuff I've printed that didn't come out quite right. You can reprocess PLA into new filament but with the cost of filament as low as it is, it's not worth the effort. Plus, the different between cheap filament and better filament is the tolerance of the filament width. I can't equal factory tolerance by recycling at home.

Well I've heard of people that will melt it all together for something cheap... not necessarily to make it into new filament, but to make things like a poker ch1p (Just found out poker ch1p is a banned word here. lol) or something simple out of it.

Sounds VERY messy. If I want to cast something in plastic, I just use 2 part polyurethane and a silicone mold -- I've been making props that way for years. PLA is very difficult to get liquid enough to cast with. It would harden too quickly.

Have you seen the 3D printers that can do metal, and have been used to make replica engine blocks?

No printable filament would be suitable for making an engine block. Remember, it melts at around 200C, even the metal infused filament. Metal filaments are merely PLA plastic with metal powder infused. The metal gives it no additional structure, just the appearance of metal.

That is why I laugh whenever someone inevitably brings up the subject of 3d printed guns. I can't think of a WORSE way to make a gun than with a 3d printer. Unless you want to find a novel way to remove one of your hands.

It would be however, be ideal for making an engine block pattern, which is molded in green sand, and then cast in aluminum and machined.

Yeah a 3D printed gun is only good for one shot if that... and as you said that is if it doesn't blow up in your hand like holding an M80 fire cracker.

They are however making 3D printers that can make metal parts that can be used in engines, even jet engines.

Building The World's Largest 3D Laser Printer For Metal Parts - GE

Mostly I just throw it in the bin. I have a box of stuff I've printed that didn't come out quite right. You can reprocess PLA into new filament but with the cost of filament as low as it is, it's not worth the effort. Plus, the different between cheap filament and better filament is the tolerance of the filament width. I can't equal factory tolerance by recycling at home.

Well I've heard of people that will melt it all together for something cheap... not necessarily to make it into new filament, but to make things like a poker ch1p (Just found out poker ch1p is a banned word here. lol) or something simple out of it.

Sounds VERY messy. If I want to cast something in plastic, I just use 2 part polyurethane and a silicone mold -- I've been making props that way for years. PLA is very difficult to get liquid enough to cast with. It would harden too quickly.

Have you seen the 3D printers that can do metal, and have been used to make replica engine blocks?

No printable filament would be suitable for making an engine block. Remember, it melts at around 200C, even the metal infused filament. Metal filaments are merely PLA plastic with metal powder infused. The metal gives it no additional structure, just the appearance of metal.

That is why I laugh whenever someone inevitably brings up the subject of 3d printed guns. I can't think of a WORSE way to make a gun than with a 3d printer. Unless you want to find a novel way to remove one of your hands.

It would be however, be ideal for making an engine block pattern, which is molded in green sand, and then cast in aluminum and machined.

Yeah a 3D printed gun is only good for one shot if that... and as you said that is if it doesn't blow up in your hand like holding an M80 fire cracker.

They are however making 3D printers that can make metal parts that can be used in engines, even jet engines.

Building The World's Largest 3D Laser Printer For Metal Parts - GE

Laser CNC is a much older technology. CNC machining is ideal for building firearms, that's how they're made commercially. It's a subtraction process ... like most metal and wood working. It takes material away from the stock. Our 3d printers work by adding material to build the object.

Both 3D printing and CNC use numerical control of stepper motors to move the cutting tool / print head accurately to where it needs to be to do the work.

So I had a 15% off coupon from eBay today and decided to go ahead and take advantage and buy a 3D printer. I had been wanting to get one for awhile, so I pulled the trigger. This one is pretty big and isn't supposed to take too much to set it up.

Anyone else out there got one? Any pointers on some good shareware? Good places to find .stl files?

NEW Alfawise U20 Large Scale 2.8" Touch Screen Aluminium Alloy DIY 3D Printer US | eBay

Nope, I suggest you take a course in SolidWorks 3d programing though if you havent. It's great for 3D printing and a lot of fun.

So I had a 15% off coupon from eBay today and decided to go ahead and take advantage and buy a 3D printer. I had been wanting to get one for awhile, so I pulled the trigger. This one is pretty big and isn't supposed to take too much to set it up.

Anyone else out there got one? Any pointers on some good shareware? Good places to find .stl files?

NEW Alfawise U20 Large Scale 2.8" Touch Screen Aluminium Alloy DIY 3D Printer US | eBay

Nope, I suggest you take a course in SolidWorks 3d programing though if you havent. It's great for 3D printing and a lot of fun.

Dude, Fusion 360. It's from AutoDesk and -- it's free

I'd like to find a program I can get that makes 3D models of objects for me using a camera taking pictures at multiple angles. A buddy told me they take a TON of RAM to do however... and it can get pretty expensive to get a good enough camera to do it.

I'd like to find a program I can get that makes 3D models of objects for me using a camera taking pictures at multiple angles. A buddy told me they take a TON of RAM to do however... and it can get pretty expensive to get a good enough camera to do it.

For what I make, 3d scanning is more trouble than it's worth. If you scan it, it will take a bunch of effort to repair the file and close up all the open vectors --- although there is software that does this. If I already have a shape I want to recreate, I will typically cast it --- so much faster.

For me, 3d printing is all about making unique prototypes of things you create in your own mind. It's not the best technology for copying items you already have.

That being said, a lot of folks will 3d scan an item and use it as the basis for a new design.

I'll check it out. Free is great! I did have a lot of fun though getting a solid Works Cert. It allows you to to rendering and simulated automation as well, along with analysis of parts wear and its pretty good for making assemblys. However, its the only one I've ever tried so I'm not sure how it compares to auto cad or Auto Desk

I'll check it out. Free is great! I did have a lot of fun though getting a solid Works Cert. It allows you to to rendering and simulated automation as well, along with analysis of parts wear and its pretty good for making assemblys. However, its the only one I've ever tried so I'm not sure how it compares to auto cad or Auto Desk

I'm teasing ... the best 3d modeling software is the one you know how to use. Solid works, sketch up, Blender, Fusion, all will do what you need them to do in different ways and you will be at this for years before you get to the point where the software you're using makes any appreciable difference to your work --- I will never get to that point.

Use what you know, why re-invent the wheel?

For what I make, 3d scanning is more trouble than it's worth. If you scan it, it will take a bunch of effort to repair the file and close up all the open vectors --- although there is software that does this. If I already have a shape I want to recreate, I will typically cast it --- so much faster.

For me, 3d printing is all about making unique prototypes of things you create in your own mind. It's not the best technology for copying items you already have.

That being said, a lot of folks will 3d scan an item and use it as the basis for a new design.

Well scanning is important to make... say replacement items like clips for a car, or other pieces like that are unique and hard to find an original.

I have an .stl file for an invention I created, it is two pieces... but I am waiting until I have my printer dialed in to print one.

Well scanning is important to make... say replacement items like clips for a car, or other pieces like that are unique and hard to find an original.

I have an .stl file for an invention I created, it is two pieces... but I am waiting until I have my printer dialed in to print one.

Yea, there are applications. I've yet to go down that path. Unless the part it insanely complex, I can probably draw it before I could scan it. It's still pretty cool to be able to scan something and make it ... it's like a 'Star Trek' transporter.

I'm teasing ... the best 3d modeling software is the one you know how to use. Solid works, sketch up, Blender, Fusion, all will do what you need them to do in different ways and you will be at this for years before you get to the point where the software you're using makes any appreciable difference to your work --- I will never get to that point.

I know. It takes time because there is always so much more to know. I took the course twice and really picked up on a lot of things I didnt even notice the first time... it just takes practice practice practice. Plus they update those programs every year as well.

I know. It takes time because there is always so much more to know. I took the course twice and really picked up on a lot of things I didnt even notice the first time... it just takes practice practice practice. Plus they update those programs every year as well.

Kind of like watching a movie like Inception... or Memento. You have to watch it multiple times to catch everything!

Kind of like watching a movie like Inception... or Memento. You have to watch it multiple times to catch everything!

Yeah, and the thing I really noticed is that with solid works there are different ways to do the same thing when creating in 3D, but some ways are better than others and with time and screw ups you figure it out. Especialy if you are drawing things that you may want to make future variations of.
Good luck with your printer! hope you have fun.

I'd love one, but they're too expensive for me, I'd want either a high quality one or nothing at all.

Well I had an eBay coupon and saved a good bit off of mine. It is only a $300 printer but it prints a large surface area, and honestly many people tell me it is better to learn on a cheaper one before spending a lot on a more complex one.

Yes, maybe. I'd print simple things but would want them at a good quality. I make stuff that is already small, I use cardboard for it. If I could save time by using something stronger and tidier than cardboard cut with a knife, and make it look better, I'd be laughing.

But the reason I use cardboard in the first place is, it's usually free. Though the woman with the cat food boxes has moved to the other side of the country.

I got a buddy that downloaded the plans for those guns before our evil freedom loving overlords took away our freedom of speech. Want 'em?

:auiqs.jpg:

Almost every person I have talked to in the 3D printing and with guns, have said they would NEVER fire one of them, and even if they did, they wouldn't be worth trying to fire a second time.

You can 3D print in aluminum.

I got a buddy that downloaded the plans for those guns before our evil freedom loving overlords took away our freedom of speech. Want 'em?

Almost every person I have talked to in the 3D printing and with guns, have said they would NEVER fire one of them, and even if they did, they wouldn't be worth trying to fire a second time.

After all the issues I've seen with Ford's aluminum blocks and heads, no way in hell I'd ever make one or let alone buy one of those.

After all the issues I've seen with Ford's aluminum blocks and heads, no way in hell I'd ever make one or let alone buy one of those.

Dude,you're not building a car engine.

My FJ had an aluminium block and heads as does my Tundra and they have zero problems.

Oh....they dont 3D print engine blocks,they make them from billet aluminium.

Dude,you're not building a car engine.

My FJ had an aluminium block and heads as does my Tundra and they have zero problems.

No, I'm not with this one... but it was a discussion we were having about other printers.

Forum List

Back