Boot: Tough Love In Middle East

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and some causal fallout from the NIE report:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110010968

2. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    That thought fills Sunni Arabs with dread. "If we accept Iran as a nuclear power that is like accepting Hitler in 1933-34," warned one senior Arab official, using the kind of analogy that back in Washington would get him dismissed as a neocon warmonger.

Yes, and Saddam was a Sunni, a clear minority group in Iraq where the Shi'ites are far more numerous. The toppling of Saddam was what filled that guy with dread, too. No more protection from the hordes.

Boot's essay isn't confirmation that the U.S. should attack Iran. It's yet more confirmation that the disputes in that region don't involve us. But to Boot, who is Jewish, "us" is like the Lone Ranger's "we."

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    And bin Laden is a Shia. What of it? I know you want it to be about the Jews, it just isn't.

4. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    No he's not. OBL is not shia. You are completely misinformed on him and al qaeda if you think that.

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I wouldn't care if tomorrow, every Jew in the world said, "eh, screw it. Let's try to lump along ourselves with Israel. Pack up AIPAC, everyone." And they were replaced by every Arab, Turk, Persian and Kazakh saying, "hey, U.S., please send your whole military here to deal with our problems."

I'd still say, my friends, it's not reason for our men and women in uniform to die.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Ok, I should have looked it up, inform me. I beg to differ as for completely misinformed. I know he's Wahhabi, which I thought was Shia because of SA, but if Sunni, ok.

7. DeadCanDance

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

You've had 7 years since 9/11 to bone up on the nature and scope of the threat against us. You're way, way off. Those rightwing blogs haven't been informing you well. Its no wonder you are prone to conflating all muslim groups, and a nations under one simplistic umbrella of "threat". The informed person learns the nuance between muslim groups and terrorists, and uses that information to assess and prioritize the threats, from the non-threats.

Suffice it to say, that Wahhabism is a form of sunni Islam. Its, in effect, the state religion of Saudi Arabia. Al Qaeda is an umbrella for sunni jihaddists.

Amazing, that you completely have it all mucked up and backwards.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    f off, you are not only devoid of humor, you are an anal bastard. Not nice to play with, which thankfully means you are NOT one of the brighter liberals on the board. Please, please, put me on ignore, because you are not worth responding to.

9. DeadCanDance

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    It would pay to turn off those rightwing blogs and get informed.

bin laden is not a shia. Sunni Al Qaeda, in fact, hates shia muslims, and particularly persians. Were you aware that there was sectarian violence in iraq between shia and sunni in iraq? That's the problem with you conflating all muslims into one group, and mixing them up so you end up attacking the wrong people. As offensive as the shia iranians are, there are opportunities to engage them as an ally of convenience against sunni fundamentalists (the ones actually attacking us). Iran helped us topple the sunni Taliban government of Afghanistan, because they were rivals of the sunni Taliban. Iran offered to help us fight al qaeda, but Bush turned them down in 2002. What a moron.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Ok, now that you've whipped that dead horse. Yeah, Iran offered, while working on the centrifuges they pledged not to have. Whatever, all is good in Muslim nations.