Group Suprised At Reaction to Manger-Stealing Effort

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
Ha.

Ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071206/NEWS01/712060335

Or should I say, Ho ho ho?

Merry Christmas, everybody!

HYDE PARK – A manger scene will remain on the lawn of town hall.

A day after asking the town to remove the nativity scene, Bonnie Meadow, executive director of the Jewish Federation of Dutchess County, has withdrawn her request.

The public outcry following her request was more than Meadow expected, she said in a letter today to Hyde Park Supervisor Pompey Delafield. She had asked the town to remove the manger scene, claiming it offended some non-Christians in Hyde Park and that it violated federal law.

“I never dreamt that my request to remove the nativity scene at the offices of the Town of Hyde Park would upset so many people so much,” Meadow said in the letter. “It was never my intent to hurt anyone or to spoil their holidays. In view of the public outcry, I hereby rescind my request to you.

“I apologize for whatever difficulty this may have caused and I wish you and your community a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays,” she said.

Perhaps, except that it's illegal for them to put up a creche. Hence the snicker from our resident KKK'er.

Jilian, the Knights of Columbus erects and maintains. I'm sure the city would accomodate any other requests. Unless someone complains, usually the ACLU, is there really a problem?

Personally, I wish everyone was as reasonable as this woman. If I were the Knights in that town, I think I'd pop for a Jewish symbol as a reciprocal gesture, leaving it to the Jewish association in the coming years.

Should the city pay for? No. Should they maintain it? No. Should it be up too long? No.

Jilian, the Knights of Columbus erects and maintains. I'm sure the city would accomodate any other requests. Unless someone complains, usually the ACLU, is there really a problem?

Personally, I wish everyone was as reasonable as this woman. If I were the Knights in that town, I think I'd pop for a Jewish symbol as a reciprocal gesture, leaving it to the Jewish association in the coming years.

Should the city pay for? No. Should they maintain it? No. Should it be up too long? No.

Correct you are. Apologies. Given it was one of WJ's, can't say I read it with particular care, given the level of pathetic garbage he posts. Of course, it was appropriate to rescind the request to remove the creche if it was privately funded and not on government property such as a courthouse, legislative building or at a school.

Well 'Getting rid of God' strikes me as offensive. Where would we put 'Him'?

Sorry, what I meant is that before, no one was offended and all of a sudden there's a rush of people who are offended at the slightest little thing. Heck, it you don't like something just ignore it. I saw a Happy Ramadan sign at a local grocery store and although I don't care for that, I didn't go crying to the store manager that it should be taken down.

Correct you are. Apologies. Given it was one of WJ's, can't say I read it with particular care, given the level of pathetic garbage he posts. Of course, it was appropriate to rescind the request to remove the creche if it was privately funded and not on government property such as a courthouse, legislative building or at a school.

Thank you. It's funny how I sometimes don't get along with the easiest folks, but while certainly having serious disagreements with WJ, I find some hope there. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Sometimes he makes me laugh.

Sorry, what I meant is that before, no one was offended and all of a sudden there's a rush of people who are offended at the slightest little thing. Heck, it you don't like something just ignore it. I saw a Happy Ramadan sign at a local grocery store and although I don't care for that, I didn't go crying to the store manager that it should be taken down.

I know, I should have added a smilie, but I don't like the choices, I WAS kidding. I'd be ok with 'Happy Ramadan' as long as they also acknowledge the other holidays as specifically.

Somehow we end up with a "Blessed Eid", "Buy your Hanakkah stuff here", and "Happy Holidays" for the rest. I guess there aren't enough Blacks around here to 'count', as no Kwanza.

I know, I should have added a smilie, but I don't like the choices, I WAS kidding. I'd be ok with 'Happy Ramadan' as long as they also acknowledge the other holidays as specifically.

Somehow we end up with a "Blessed Eid", "Buy your Hanakkah stuff here", and "Happy Holidays" for the rest. I guess there aren't enough Blacks around here to 'count', as no Kwanza.

Exactly, instead of trying to banish one just incorporate several. For the ones who claim sensitivity issues, it doesn't seem they're being very sensitive.

Exactly, instead of trying to banish one just incorporate several. For the ones who claim sensitivity issues, it doesn't seem they're being very sensitive.

I will say I'm offended at the Blessed Eid, but not the other religious holidays being acknowledged for any reasons than commercial. On the other hand, would I complain about it, no. Well here or with family, friends, yes. But not to management.

Now about those public displays, not being Mitt, what can we do for our atheist friends? How about a Big "Happy Winter" or something? Let's not leave them out, besides, most of them show up at the parties, just as happy as us!

Yeah, the store in Brooklyn with the "Chanukah hams" was a bit confused, but funny, didn't hear any whining from the Jewish community about it, just a lot of chuckling....and a dead funny thread in DU about it, cracked me up. :D

I will say I'm offended at the Blessed Eid, but not the other religious holidays being acknowledged for any reasons than commercial. On the other hand, would I complain about it, no. Well here or with family, friends, yes. But not to management.

Now about those public displays, not being Mitt, what can we do for our atheist friends? How about a Big "Happy Winter" or something? Let's not leave them out, besides, most of them show up at the parties, just as happy as us!

How about "A Happy and Bright Season to everyone"? :D

Forum List

Back