Group Suprised At Reaction to Manger-Stealing Effort

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by William Joyce, Dec 9, 2007.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Ha.

Ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071206/NEWS01/712060335

Or should I say, Ho ho ho?

Merry Christmas, everybody!

HYDE PARK – A manger scene will remain on the lawn of town hall.

A day after asking the town to remove the nativity scene, Bonnie Meadow, executive director of the Jewish Federation of Dutchess County, has withdrawn her request.

The public outcry following her request was more than Meadow expected, she said in a letter today to Hyde Park Supervisor Pompey Delafield. She had asked the town to remove the manger scene, claiming it offended some non-Christians in Hyde Park and that it violated federal law.

“I never dreamt that my request to remove the nativity scene at the offices of the Town of Hyde Park would upset so many people so much,” Meadow said in the letter. “It was never my intent to hurt anyone or to spoil their holidays. In view of the public outcry, I hereby rescind my request to you.

“I apologize for whatever difficulty this may have caused and I wish you and your community a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays,” she said.

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Good sense isn't dead (yet). Good for her.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Perhaps, except that it's illegal for them to put up a creche. Hence the snicker from our resident KKK'er.

4. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
  5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Jilian, the Knights of Columbus erects and maintains. I'm sure the city would accomodate any other requests. Unless someone complains, usually the ACLU, is there really a problem?

Personally, I wish everyone was as reasonable as this woman. If I were the Knights in that town, I think I'd pop for a Jewish symbol as a reciprocal gesture, leaving it to the Jewish association in the coming years.

Should the city pay for? No. Should they maintain it? No. Should it be up too long? No.

6. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352
    Why, in the last 15 years or so, has Christmas and getting rid of God become so offensive?

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well 'Getting rid of God' strikes me as offensive. Where would we put 'Him'?

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Correct you are. Apologies. Given it was one of WJ's, can't say I read it with particular care, given the level of pathetic garbage he posts. Of course, it was appropriate to rescind the request to remove the creche if it was privately funded and not on government property such as a courthouse, legislative building or at a school.

9. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352
    Sorry, what I meant is that before, no one was offended and all of a sudden there's a rush of people who are offended at the slightest little thing. Heck, it you don't like something just ignore it. I saw a Happy Ramadan sign at a local grocery store and although I don't care for that, I didn't go crying to the store manager that it should be taken down.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Thank you. It's funny how I sometimes don't get along with the easiest folks, but while certainly having serious disagreements with WJ, I find some hope there. Don't ask me why, I don't know. Sometimes he makes me laugh.