Boomers. What was your favorite toy or plaything?

I was a local tetherball champ at my neighborhood park. Lots of kids much bigger than me were victims of my killer spike.

I liked coloring, paper dolls, Barbies, kickball, lots of team sports all throughout grade school. High school became another entity. It was all about popularity, dances, different clubs, etc..

Anyone remember the vibrating table top football games?

Electric football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That game sucked

You spent 5 minutes setting up your men then turned on the vibrating table and they went round and round in circles or off the board. Nothing like real football after about three seconds

The men were cool though. They were painted like real NFL teams

Cool toys

Lincoln Logs
Dominos
Erector Sets
Creepy Crawlers
Hot Wheels
Jarts
BB Guns or pop guns
Anything by Wham-o (Frisbee, sling-shot, slip n slide, superball, trac ball)

Last edited:
Anyone have a Gilbert chemistry set?

Gilbert+copy+copy.jpg

We played so many board games. We also had a set of the big orange Grimm's Fairy Tales that were read over and over. I still remember the illustrations. Scary, kind of but you always found something new each time you read them.

I enjoyed playing with my Woody....every chance I got

woody.jpg

Anyone have a Gilbert chemistry set?

Gilbert+copy+copy.jpg

I had one of those. I also had a simple microscope which I enjoyed using to examine stuff like salt crystals. It worked well at low power, but was crappy at high power. In a moment of nostalgia I recently bought a similar type of microscope (a bit better though than the one I had as a small child) in a thrift store for $4.00

$uploadfromtaptalk1368819104015.jpg

Last edited:
We mostly worked where we could from early on, cleaning around the barn and outbuildings, steering tractors pulling hay wagons guiding on trees and fence posts by six or so, hauling ashes to the garden in winter, etc.

Still, we got Tonka toys and used other toy metal trucks, cars, buses etc from the 1920s and 1930s. There was a 1940s oval track H-O gauge Lionel that was damn near sacred. The attic was big and pretty much ours when it was raining in summer. It was fairly warm in winter; wood and coal were cheap.

Mostly we played where we could. A stick was a sword a pile of brush was a castle, and so on. We had horses and saddles - work saddles (for logging, etc., serious saddle horns), not cool saddles. We had quality toys and real work stuff. Real guns. No bullshit. We had nothing and we had everything.

Don't think about those times much any more.

Last edited:
I had a chemistry lab too, lol. I liked looking at bugs up close and butterfly wings.

Forum List

Back