Boomers. What was your favorite toy or plaything?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
BB bugs and wooly worms were my pals. Loved playing with them. When I got older..I liked to climb trees or lay in tall grass and hold still for hours so animals had no clue I was even there and eventually stepped over me or sat on me (birds, lizards).

I didn't care for dolls or playing dress up. I liked being outside and away from people. My entertainment was nature.

And yours?

BB bugs and wooly worms were my pals. Loved playing with them. When I got older..I liked to climb trees or lay in tall grass and hold still for hours so animals had no clue I was even there and eventually stepped over me or sat on me (birds, lizards).

I didn't care for dolls or playing dress up. I liked being outside and away from people. My entertainment was nature.

And yours?

Those little green Army Men!

Growing up in the Rural South, and poor, there were very few actual toys........the occasional one at Christmas..........that's about it. We had to hunt for things to play with.....empty bottles found along the road side, various creatures........chasing Black Racers was fun......you chase them - they run - you stop - they stop - you run - they chase you...........and it goes on until one or the other tires and simply "slithers" away......Going out into the woods and finding Box Turtles was cool, using water colors or crayons (if you had them) to paint numbers on their shells and race them........building forts in the woods was cool too.............

Then, I grew older, and discovered girls.............wow!

A Daisy Red Ryder BB gun... "You'll shoot your eyeball out."

When I was very young clothes-pins served as my vast army of combatants.

The hinged snappers against the non-hinged in titantic battles.

After that, when my mother started working at Binney and Smith (Crayola) then it was red clay men versus green clay men.

I'd spend whole days just crafting the vast armies of clay warriors who would kill or be killed for their team the REDS or the GREENS.

I'm talking about battles involving hundreds of clay men (usually each about three inches tall. I had like 50 lbs of modeling clay)

These battles would often rage for days leaving dead, decapitated, maimed and wounded clay men all over the house.

My poor mother, she put up with this despite the fact that clay leaves an oily residue that is sometimes impossible to remove from furniture and material.

You didn't mention at what age?

Age 5 - Tonka Toys

Age 15 - Baseballs/footballs/skateboards

Age 25 - bongs/carburator pipes

Age 35 - no toys

Age 45 - dildos'

Age 55 - ATVs

Age 65 - not there yet

And yours?

Same here for the most part. We had a huge sand box out back, and would sculpt elaborate terrains in the sand... then blow the shit out of it all with firecrackers.
Then... set it all on fire LOL.

And yours?

We were poor. The only toy I usually got was a doll. But I loved my friends' board games. Mostly I got new clothes, store bought clothes, and I always liked that just as much, because I was dressed as well as the other kids.

Books. Seriously. I always preferred books or games to toys.

As a teen: tools!

Now? *looks around carefully* Well...my wife is lots of fun to play with! :D

And yours?

Same here for the most part. We had a huge sand box out back, and would sculpt elaborate terrains in the sand... then blow the shit out of it all with firecrackers.
Then... set it all on fire LOL.

Cherry Bombs!

main.php

Last edited:
Electric trains. I had a Lionel O gauge steam engine that produced smoke. This was back in the 1950's, by which time all the trains that ran through my town were diesel. But steam engines appeared a lot in the movies and on TV.

Forum List

Back