Books made into Movies

I Claudius and Claudius the God, both by Robert Graves, was done extremely well by the BBC.

Now even with their very long series, (I think it was like 13 hours long or maybe longer) they couldn't possibly capture everything in both those books, but I really believe they did an extraordinary job of getting it, anyway.

ALSO, the BBC did a bang up job when they did Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

They also did an great job of doing that as an audio version.

I'll tell yas, the Brits are, in my opinion, brilliant when it comes to theatric arts.

Of course it helps a LOT, I suppose, that the government supports those arts, too.

Last edited:
The Shining is a terrible book. The movie was incredible. Why Kubrick picked that book to make a movie, I don't know, but he sure knows how to make books into movies.

The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me, both by Stephen King. Loved both of these movies. Shawshank is one of those movies that I've seen a million times but if I catch it on tv, I get sucked in over and over again.

Having said that, every other SK book or story made into a movie has been crap, imo. I agree with you EZ, they usually botch it and I always tell people to read the book.

Yeah, I LOVED LOVED LOVED "The Stand" and had read it about 4 times when I heard they were doing a t.v. mini series. I watched the entire thing, but it didn't float my boat.

Amen to Shawshank and Stand by Me.

They are making a movie based on "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. If you haven't read the book I highly recommend it. I'm curious how the movie will turn out.

I can't read Stephen King. He is too words and verbose for me. I need my books to be simple and straightforward.

However, when I was 2, Stephen King lived in my town and I went to a babysitter with his daughter.

you must want to beat Tom Wolfe with a white-suit-matching cane then.

Thomas Wolfe - great example of good books and good/bad movie

Bonfire of the Vanities - great book, terrible movie
The Right Stuff - great book, great movie

Have you heard that a movie of The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test is being produced?

I was more into the fantasy books, but they have done will with a few of those:

Narnia series and Bridge to Terabithia

Horror (not the drama ones) which they have tried they always fail ... epically.

Have you watched the Dragonlance cartoon? It could have been a LOT better. If something like the FR Avatar series were made in the style of the old Heavy Metal cartoon... instant cult following. I could name no less than a dozen fantazy books that would make GREAT movies. Starting with The Deathdealer series and ending with The Deathgate Cycle.

Fight Club was pretty true to the book and I love both.

I used to read a lot more than I do now, but it started to make my head hurt. That's why I got glasses, but it didn't really help. :( I miss being able to sit for hours with a book.

I agree with those that don't like SK, his books annoy me. You can tell when he's become bored with the story because he ends it 2 pages later.

Did you think so? The entire ending in the book was just.. different.

Read any other Puhlaniuk books? If not, I highly suggest Choke, Invisible Monsters and Survivor.

and then promptly move on to Vonnegut.

Have you heard that a movie of The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test is being produced?

That would be interesting. I read it after Cuckoos Nest because I was sorta interested in Ken Kesey.

That would be interesting. I read it after Cuckoos Nest because I was sorta interested in Ken Kesey.

Check out Kerouac's On The Road. Kesey's driver, Niel Cassady, was Jack's Dean Moriarty in his loose autobio about the pre-hippy beat generation. I've always found it fascinating how Ginsberg and Cassady links Kerouac's book with the scene described in Wolfe's TEKAT.

Check out Kerouac's On The Road. Kesey's driver, Niel Cassady, was Jack's Dean Moriarty in his loose autobio about the pre-hippy beat generation. I've always found it fascinating how Ginsberg and Cassady links Kerouac's book with the scene described in Wolfe's TEKAT.

I've read it. Most of the "beat" authors actually. I know you all think I'm some stupid, drunk, cum catcher but I do read... at least I used to before it caused me such bad head aches. Now I try to get audio books. I'm listening to "The jungle" by Upton Sinclair right now. I don't want to be dumb... I'm trying really hard. It just seems like I can never be good enough for anyone else. :(

a stupid, drunk cum catcher? :lol: do you have a tattoo on your lower back yet? A lot of college age gals qualify for that nomenclature so don't take it personally. The farcical nature of that age bracket isn't monopolized by gals anyway.

To be honest, I think a lot of "beatnik" poets were nothing short of conmen. Gregory Corso comes to mind. I've always felt that Ginsberg really only became famous because of the Ferlingetti trial and his relationship with Kerouac. This is why they all seemed to have to name drop Jack at every corner when trying to validate their poetry. Anyway.. enjoy!

a stupid, drunk cum catcher? :lol: do you have a tattoo on your lower back yet? A lot of college age gals qualify for that nomenclature so don't take it personally. The farcical nature of that age bracket isn't monopolized by gals anyway.

To be honest, I think a lot of "beatnik" poets were nothing short of conmen. Gregory Corso comes to mind. I've always felt that Ginsberg really only became famous because of the Ferlingetti trial and his relationship with Kerouac. This is why they all seemed to have to name drop Jack at every corner when trying to validate their poetry. Anyway.. enjoy!

I was thinking about getting 1.... is that bad? :confused: I think they can be cute.

I used to read a lot more than I do now. I would read things even if I was in disagreement just cos I thot it would be good to know how others saw the world. I enjoyed "On The Road" but some of the others not so much. I'm trying to read/listen to everything considered "classic" literature. There's so much I don't understand yet but I'm trying.

My advice is to wait until you are no less than 25 years of age before you get a tattoo. If anything, lower back tattoos have become as sheepingly trendy and farcical as tribal tats, kanji on white dudes and various other UNIFORMS associated with a laughable attempt at non-conformity. if, by 25, you still feel the same way then go with your bad self. Had I made the decision at your age i'd have Greek letters on me right now. Thank the FSM that I don't.

I hear ya. I went through my beatnik phase around 2003-4 and read all I could get ahold of. Lately, I've been into reading Autobios and memoirs. Especially those related to music. It was interesting to read both takes on the Seduction of Patti Boyd in Clapton and Harrison's books, respectively.

As far as classics go.. Last Halloween I read Bram Stoker's Dracula and... I just ahve to say... After seeing movies with vampires and zombies and shit of that nature it really is true that Stoker's Victorian era book is, in many way, boring as fuck and not even slightly scary.

I've read it. Most of the "beat" authors actually. I know you all think I'm some stupid, drunk, cum catcher but I do read... at least I used to before it caused me such bad head aches. Now I try to get audio books. I'm listening to "The jungle" by Upton Sinclair right now. I don't want to be dumb... I'm trying really hard. It just seems like I can never be good enough for anyone else. :(

I'm a big fan of books on tape too.

When I was on the road a lot they made the miles and hours pass painlessly.

Nobody thinks you're stupid, Amanda.

Where did you get that idea?

Nobody thinks you're stupid, Amanda.

Where did you get that idea?

Um... just about everyday of my life someone makes a point of uh... pointing it out.

I think some of you might be surprised if you spent a day with me. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, hardly a day goes by without some saying or insinuating that I'm dumb. I've just sort of accepted it as fact. They can't all be wrong, can they? :confused:

But I should add that I don't really care. I like me... most of the time... I do sometimes disappoint myself.

Last edited:
Are you fishing for compliments, Amanda? Don't confuse name calling with constructive advice. Most of us here have seen at least twice as much life than you. And, I don't think you are dumb at all. Youthful. which brings it's own naivety. but not dumb.

Forum List

Back