boo freaking hoo

Shattered said:
Don't misunderstand.. They won't get a dime of my money.. That's time they could be using to look for a job.. I just think his response was unwarranted, given the first portion of the initial question.. If they start harrassing you, hell yes, give it right back.. But to sound like a jackass right off the bat for no reason is just uncalled for, IMO...

As I said, they are invisible. If they choose to force the issue, I can give it back.

nucular said:
My wife and I were approached by a panhandler last week. He said, "I'm sorry to bother you but..." and before he could say more I shot back with, "then why are you bothering us?" Evidently he hadn't heard that before because he started having a temper tantrum.

Usually when they say, "Sir, could you spare some change?" I just say, "No, why don't you give me some money instead?" They act indignant.

The Armory where my husband worked for over 15 years is used as a homeless shelter every winter. I've had a pretty good opportunity to study and interact with hundreds of the homeless in our county. A small minority are there because they've fallen on hard times..........the majority are there because they don't want responsibilities.........and/or are mentally impaired.

I always just tell them that I don't carry cash but I'd be glad to donate clothes and food if they tell me what they need. Most will just say "that's ok", but occasionally I'll have someone tell me they would love a hamburger and coffee. One lady said she would be happy to have some socks......it all depends on the situation I guess.

But for the most part I don't give "any spare change" to the panhandlers.

Shattered said:
There's no point in being rude.. A simple "Sorry, no." and keep walking would be sufficient...

Gimme a break! HE was rude! In my book anytime any unknown person speaks to me and it's not in my interest that's an intrusion. One would think a woman would understand this concept. So instead of pretending that what he was doing was normal I gave it back to him. What's wrong with that?

One detail I didn't mention in my original post (although I doubt this will change your opinion) was that this was a well dressed, healthy, fit young man.

I believe in taking responsibility for yourself. There was nothing preventing this guy from looking for a job. He just thought begging was easier and more lucrative. If he was an amputee or someone obviously troubled maybe my reaction would have been different, but jeez........
:fu2:

Kathianne said:
On the other side of the cheddar curtain, the panhandlers are not so nice...

This was in San Francisco, a town that is infested with panhandlers. In Milwaukee we don't have many, or really any.

nucular said:
Gimme a break! HE was rude! In my book anytime any unknown person speaks to me and it's not in my interest that's an intrusion. One would think a woman would understand this concept. So instead of pretending that what he was doing was normal I gave it back to him. What's wrong with that?

One detail I didn't mention in my original post (although I doubt this will change your opinion) was that this was a well dressed, healthy, fit young man.

I believe in taking responsibility for yourself. There was nothing preventing this guy from looking for a job. He just thought begging was easier and more lucrative. If he was an amputee or someone obviously troubled maybe my reaction would have been different, but jeez........
:fu2:

How do you know he was panhandling? He got out half a sentence before you exploded at him.. For all you know, he could have been asking for the time. Note: I'm not saying he WASN'T panhanding..just that perhaps you COULD have been mistaken, and flew off the handle over nothing.

Any time any unknown person speaks to you? That makes you an intolerant bastard - and you have the nerve to criticize others for being intolerant? Never, ever, EVER have children.. and if you're going to, don't teach them the manners you obviously learned from your parents.

Shattered said:
How do you know he was panhandling? He got out half a sentence before you exploded at him.. For all you know, he could have been asking for the time. Note: I'm not saying he WASN'T panhanding..just that perhaps you COULD have been mistaken, and flew off the handle over nothing.

Any time any unknown person speaks to you? That makes you an intolerant bastard - and you have the nerve to criticize others for being intolerant? Never, ever, EVER have children.. and if you're going to, don't teach them the manners you obviously learned from your parents.

Let me get this straight, I lack manners because I rejected a panhandler? Why do you care? And where did I criticize anyone for being intolerant? What is your problem? You are out of it.

As far as children are concerned, too late to do anything about that! Would you like to adopt them, as you are obviously much more highly evolved than me?
:piss2:

Forum List

Back