boo freaking hoo

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Johnney, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    link
    i didnt know this was a "right"?

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
  3. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    I really don't have an opinion one way or the other, but what law could you cite to prevent someone from sitting in a public place with a 'spare some change' sign?

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Unfortunately they don't often do that. There are laws against aggressive panhandling, not just sitting there w/ a sign.

Amazingly if you panhandled in the time of Ben Franklin and the other founding fathers you were put on display with a sign for others to mock you. It wasn't even considered cruel and unusual to do so....

The "right" to panhandle is not one that was included in the Constitution.

5. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I lived in New Orleans for about a year and a half and they had a huge problem with panhandlers at the time.

One paper did a story on some of the people out there with "spare some change" signs. It was found that for 2 men this was their "job" and they went home to a middle class neighborhood at night, apparently people are fairly generous.

Some of these people can be very hostile and dangerous, not to mention mentally ill. It would be nice to see these people as harmless but a fair number are also pickpockets and petty theives. I don't have a problem with cities that try to keep panhandlers out of tourist areas because of this reason.

6. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Hmmm. Do people have rights outside of those specified in the Constitution. Do people have a right to wear red nail polish in public? It is not mentioned in the Constitution.

7. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Loitering.. Obstructing traffic.. Depending on where they're doing it.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I haven't heard anyone claiming a right to wear red nail polish but it wouldn't surprise me as some people wrongly think they have a right to do anything they please.

9. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hey nake, check this out. While I was in Germany, I came across something interesting; I saw an old man, with bum like looks, step out of his car (a mercedes) with a dog and a sympathy sign. He looked at our body language and could tell that we were judging his character. So he said, in his rough accent," fauk yau" and went about his business.

Our nation understands that there are people out there that are dodging taxes by earning their living as beggars.

If you live in NYC, where the streets will be occupied by millions of individuals per day, you can earn as much as $500 per day, without paying taxes, by simply begging the millions to giving you a nickel at a time. It is the slight of hand procedure that gives you the illusion that the bum is not receiving anything, therefore he earns your sympathy as well as your nickel.

These folks are not theives, they're con artist. A thief takes your possessions away from you without your permission; a con artist takes possessions away from you using your own free will.

Think about it!

10. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Yeah, Yeah. You can find all kinds of opportunistic frauds - From your lazy well-to-do street-corner panhandler to crafty Fortune 500 CEOs. Now. Is it just possible that some "bum" that you see, a complete stranger, really did fall on hard times? Perhaps he made a few foolish choices coupled with unforeseen circumstances. Maybe, just maybe, he is an ignorant depressed man in desperate need for a small and brief handout. I spent nearly an hour really communicating with one such "bum" who practically told me his life story. I give him some spare change and several old "temporary employment agency" business cards. (I used to do much temp work for several such businesses when I became desperate for work). I gave him some advice, writing the instructions out for him, and directed him to some support shelters and groups relevant to his circumstances. He thanked me and I never saw him again. I suppose that my point is that I hope that people are not quick to judge individual strangers based just on appearances and prejudices.