Bombings in Thailand target tourist cities, killing at least 4

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Southern militants fighting for greater autonomy have carried out sophisticated, coordinated attacks before, but most have hit three provinces in the far south that were not among those targeted this week.

The violence occurred just ahead of the first anniversary of the Aug. 17 bombing of Bangkok's Erawan Shrine, which left 20 dead and injured more than 120 others. Thai authorities said that bombing was revenge by a people-smuggling gang whose activities were disrupted by a crackdown, but analysts suspect it might have been the work of Uighur separatists angry that Thailand forcibly repatriated more than 100 Uighurs to China.

The latest troubles began Thursday afternoon, when a bomb exploded in the southern province of Trang — an area full of beautiful beaches and tourist islands — killing one person and injuring six, according to police.

Then on Thursday night, attackers in Hua Hin hid bombs on a busy street filled with bars and restaurants. One Thai woman was killed and about 20 people were wounded, 11 of them foreigners.

Police said four of the injured tourists were from Germany, two from Italy and one from Austria. The Netherlands said four of its citizens were also wounded. "No political aim justifies violence and attacks on innocent people," German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said in a statement.
Bombings in Thailand target tourist cities, killing at least 4

We haven't even hit August 17th yet.

A lot of Thais aren't happy with the military junta that seized power, and the new constitution it wrote giving it the power to appoint all Senators in the National Assembly.

As a person who lived in Thailand for a while, and actually left during the Red Shirt riots, there is so much going on there that could be the impetus of these and other bombings.

First, the Thai government has -- for decades -- mismanaged the Islamic issue in the southern provinces. I traveled there a few times, but it got to the point where it was clearly no longer safe to travel in many areas in Pattani, Yala, and Narithiwat...and occasionally even in the other peninsular provinces to the north. And it hasn't just been a case of mismanagement. I think the Muslims, particularly in the south, have been treated shabbily and the treatment they have received has deserved the harsh feelings on the part of Thai Muslims.

Second, you have the Red Shirts, most active in the Northeast (the Issan Plateau) and the North. An old Thai tactic is for one group to cause disruption and make it look like another group did the deed. It wouldn't surprise me if there's quite a lot of that going on here. And, of course, there are some Thais who aren't happy with the junta currently in power, but I think most in Bangkok, and most in the country -- other than Red Shirts -- generally approve of the junta.

And underlying all of this is an unspoken degree of national stress over the upcoming death of the beloved King Bhumipohl, and the realization that the Crown Prince will almost certainly soon become King.

Thailand usually appears to be a relatively stable country. I'm not sure it really is.

Forum List

Back