Bobby Sands Anniversary

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Bobby Sands Trust

Bobby Sands MP

Officer Commanding IRA political prisoners, H-Blocks, Long Kesh. Born 9th March 1954, died 5th May 1981 after sixty-six days on hunger strike.

Twenty-seven-year old Bobby Sands, after enduring years of solitary confinement and beatings, led the 1981 hunger strike, during which he was elected as MP for the constituency of Fermanagh and South Tyrone in the north of Ireland.

Bobby became an international figure who to this day continues to inspire not just Irish republicans in their pursuit of freedom from British rule but people around the world struggling for their rights

37 years ago.

I remember all the propaganda in the UK media around this story at the time. We were told that they were just thugs and gangsters but they were willing to die for what they believed in.

Were you sympathetic to the aims of the IRA ?

Yes and no.

Clearly, there were anti-democratic and civil liberties abuses by the Protestants in Northern Ireland. But the majority of the people in the province were/are Protestant and wanted to remain in the union. So if you believe in democracy, I'm not sure why you would support a cause which empowers a minority over a majority.

A picture I took in Belfast last year.

IMG_2933.JPG

The whole mess is a great example of the British Empire fucking about in places that they dont belong. Apparently the demographics show a catholic majority in a few years. I think that the violence will start again when that happens.

While I am for a united Ireland and I admire some of them for learning Gaelic and believing in a cause (not "the Cause"), I am also against the IRA because many of them were communists who wanted to overthrow both governments, in the north and south.

While I am for a united Ireland and I admire some of them for learning Gaelic and believing in a cause (not "the Cause"), I am also against the IRA because many of them were communists who wanted to overthrow both governments, in the north and south.

Ive got friends on both sides of the divide. They all live over here now because the state of the province is shocking. My instincts are for a united Ireland, my ethics tells me that I wouldnt kill a single soul to achieve that.

Im just glad that Wales is different and my kids grow up in peace..

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
Sands was a tough guy no matter how you look at his politics. A couple of years earlier American POW John McCain collaborated with the V.C. to avoid torture and supporters still call him a hero..

Anyone surprised that Tainted Tommy would start this thread, to worship a violent, murderous terrorist who committed suicide in prison several decades ago?
Who did he murder ?

He was a member of a violent terrorist group that is known to have murdered at least 1,700 people. Even if he didn't personally pull the trigger in any of those instances, he was complicit in all of it.

Anyone surprised that Tainted Tommy would start this thread, to worship a violent, murderous terrorist who committed suicide in prison several decades ago?
Who did he murder ?

He was a member of a violent terrorist group that is known to have murdered at least 1,700 people. Even if he didn't personally pull the trigger in any of those instances, he was complicit in all of it.
His community see him as a hero. Could it not be a bit more complex than the scenario you have outlined ?

His community see him as a hero. Could it not be a bit more complex than the scenario you have outlined ?

No surprise that you align with a community that reveres murderous terrorists as “heros”. Perhaps a bit surprising is that your reverence is for a terrorist gang that has been extinct for decades. There are fresher, more current terrorist for you to align with.

No surprise that you align with a community that reveres murderous terrorists as “heros”. Perhaps a bit surprising is that your reverence is for a terrorist gang that has been extinct for decades. There are fresher, more current terrorist for you to align with.
Again you are projecting.Its possible to be sympathetic to unification without approving of the bombings. The US was a big funder of these atrocities as well.

Forum List

Back