Board is uberslow

Important to note, the AdBlock add-on doesn't come with the filter and will do nothing at all until you subscribe to one. To find out if you have one, go Tools>AdBlock Preferences.I never complain. I simply do not allow any ads.

By the way, I, like most others PAY for my internet connection. This in no way implies permission for sites to display ads and use my computer's resources. I have four websites, none of which have ever run any ad scripts or displayed ads of any type. It's not that expensive, not SO expensive that you need to run ads to have a site. You don't.

So, I don't buy the "ads are what keeps the internet going" angle. It's actually, "ads are what keeps revenue going into sites and also what mostly clogs up people's browsers with garbage, tracking scripts, adware, spyware, and etc."

Most ads don't pay the site operator just for displaying the ads. They get paid when people actually click on the ad. Therefore, if you are looking at ads but not clicking on them, you aren't helping their revenue anyway. So, why even let them display the ads to you in the first place? Why let them use your computer's resources?

Free thyself from the tyranny!

I guess you don't by magazines for that reason too? This attitude surprises me. After all, the folks who use the Internet for advertising are simply trying to market their products in our free market capitalistic society.
That's correct, I do not buy magazines.

However, your comparison is worthless. Magazines don't use your computer resources. Internet ads do. Magazines are paid merely to display the ads, websites generally are not. You are not helping a site's revenue by simply looking at their ads. They are usually paid on a per click basis.

In this day and age, you're silly to allow ads to run in your browser. There are tools now to prevent this completely.

Again, using the internet does not give them permission or any right at all to use your resources.

Ads in magazines and newspapers all use their resources. Their ink, their paper. Theirs.

Internet ads use YOURS. Your bandwidth, your processor, your cache, your RAM, YOURS.

See the difference yet?

Yeah, I do, but don't they disappear when I delete cookies? Just curious. I obviously don't use my home computer for anything but entertainment anyway, so I honestly don't care how much RAM an advertiser temporarily gets to use.

I guess you don't by magazines for that reason too? This attitude surprises me. After all, the folks who use the Internet for advertising are simply trying to market their products in our free market capitalistic society.
That's correct, I do not buy magazines.

However, your comparison is worthless. Magazines don't use your computer resources. Internet ads do. Magazines are paid merely to display the ads, websites generally are not. You are not helping a site's revenue by simply looking at their ads. They are usually paid on a per click basis.

In this day and age, you're silly to allow ads to run in your browser. There are tools now to prevent this completely.

Again, using the internet does not give them permission or any right at all to use your resources.

Ads in magazines and newspapers all use their resources. Their ink, their paper. Theirs.

Internet ads use YOURS. Your bandwidth, your processor, your cache, your RAM, YOURS.

See the difference yet?

Yeah, I do, but don't they disappear when I delete cookies? Just curious. I obviously don't use my home computer for anything but entertainment anyway, so I honestly don't care how much RAM an advertiser temporarily gets to use.
It's not only cookies they feed you. But if you actually don't care about it, that's just fine.

I don't allow any of that shit on my computer, anytime, anywhere. To each his own.

Damn, this site is slow...took me over two weeks to spot this thread...:lol:

Actually, every night about 11 ish Arizona time it slows down...I just figure it is going through some sort of back up process...seen it on a number of sites before.

Damn, this site is slow...took me over two weeks to spot this thread...:lol:

Actually, every night about 11 ish Arizona time it slows down...I just figure it is going through some sort of back up process...seen it on a number of sites before.

2 weeks to spot means you are slow, not the board. :eusa_whistle:

Every once and a while, at different times the board slows way down. Sometimes it only lasts a minute, occasionally it'll go on for 15 or 20 minutes. This has happened on at least three different computers in three different locations.

Every once and a while, at different times the board slows way down. Sometimes it only lasts a minute, occasionally it'll go on for 15 or 20 minutes. This has happened on at least three different computers in three different locations.

I get the same things sometimes, the board randomly gets sluggish. Maybe there's sludge in the engine.

I do not think it is the board. I'm having serious slowness too. With the mid-atlantic states experience winds and a lot of rain perhaps this is the cause. Perhaps one of your hops is timing out.

I get the same things sometimes, the board randomly gets sluggish. Maybe there's sludge in the engine.

Could be.

Or perhaps the muffler bearings need to be greased. :eusa_shhh:

I bet the same person who came up with that product also invented this one:

dvd-rewinder.jpg

Forum List

Back