Board Dynamics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grace, May 12, 2011.

1. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    There are many message boards. Why do you, personally, post at this one? What are the pros and cons here if someone asks you about the board you post at although you do not tell them exactly where it is located?
    I have been asked where I disappeared to from my old home board I used to hang out at. My response was vague but it made me think about why I came here...and stayed.
    So I thought I'd ask you why you came here...and stayed as well.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  2. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Duh! Cuz Gunny runs the best damn board on the internets ya goof!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    :lol:

But why do you think he runs the best board?

4. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Two words.. And don't tell him I told ya the secret!!! SHHHHHH!!!!!!

"Wild Turkey"!

OK seriously...Best mods.. Best mix of mods.. Total fairness. No favorites.. Everybody gets a shot. You make it or break it here on what ya bring...straight up. Simple rules.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  5. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    It is like crack.

6. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    I guess I should answer my own question, eh?

Recently, I returned to my old home board. I knew they would be looking for me and was afraid I would be found. So I have been careful. I am their nemesis. The one they like to pile on. They are strange people who hang on to the past and keep archives just to post to remind everyone what was said by whom to whom in cat fights 10 years ago or even last year. They don't like me very much. I stayed there because I could not believe people could be so shallow minded, or that evil. I was wrong. But it took many years for me to realize that indeed, people can be that way and revel in it.

One of them posted a story they read on the net. I responded with just a smilie that was similar to this one: :cuckoo:....meaning the OP was just weird, not the poster who posted it. In essence, I was agreeing with the poster that the story was crazy. I also knew just that one smiley would be enough for the majority to go into complete meltdown mode that I dared to respond at all. Their goal for many years was to get me gone. But when I am gone, they go hunting for me so they can "report" on where I am, what I am saying and in general use me as their focal point for thread after thread on their own respective boards (there are 4 public ones, 1 private one). So when I am there, someone is always on my back. Continually.

Here? I get reps. Some people like what I have to say. Nothing I post is twisted around and carried forth for months. I am free here. Some like me, some ignore me, some dislike me but the majority is positive, not negative. THAT is why I stayed. Because I am no longer in a cage being poked with a long stick no matter what topic I reply to, no matter which forum. And instead of being told over and over again what a horrible person I am, I am told often that I am appreciated here. For someone like me and what I've dealt with for so long, it's priceless.

7. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    Been here so long already, it wouldn't make any sense to leave.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    This is where I post the first drafts and new programs before they're further refined and prepared for mass dissemination.

9. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    That was my outlook at the old home place. Funny how one becomes accustomed to the environment they find themselves in and the things that make them go....or stay put for years.
    New member post introductions all the time, but very few stay. Makes me wonder if they are on the search as well and just don't stick around long enough to give a really good try before choosing whether to stay or go.

Like I said, the dynamics of it all interests me.

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I came here years ago, was here for a while under another name, then left (nothing personal, I think it had to do with my computer dying. i took a break from the itnernet). Then I re-joined and..I dunno, I just like it.

I like that it's pretty hard to get banned; the rules are fairly straight forward. I have been banned from other boards before, just for arguing a point. I've been banned forever from Helium, though I notice that my few articles still pop up on google when I google myself. That sort of pisses me off but there's not much I can do about it.

Also over the last several years I have formed bonds with other posters and I like to interact with them. I'm accustomed to and comfortable navigating the site and it's busy enough to stay interesting. I hate sites where you have little traffic. Boring. I also hate sites where people are gumdrops and rainbows all the time. Boring.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3