Blue Lives Matter

Just what the police need, another reason to feel they are above the law.

Ok... now I don't want to jump all over you here, but you've tripped upon the reason I started this thread. Can you now see why 'protected classes' are a bad idea? How we should never allow anyone to be 'above the law' and, instead, task the government with protecting everyone's rights equally?
I don't have a problem with hate crime laws, after all they cover everyone since everyone has a gender, a "race," and a religion. But those are things that people cannot choose, (except for religion), while you can choose not to be a public servant. And they already have the death penalty in LA if a police officer is killed.

Ok... now I don't want to jump all over you here, but you've tripped upon the reason I started this thread. Can you now see why 'protected classes' are a bad idea? How we should never allow anyone to be 'above the law' and, instead, task the government with protecting everyone's rights equally?
I don't have a problem with hate crime laws, after all they cover everyone since everyone has a gender, a "race," and a religion. But those are things that people cannot choose, (except for religion), while you can choose not to be a public servant. And they already have the death penalty in LA if a police officer is killed.

Oh... so you're ok with all this? I guess I misunderstood your earlier response.

Oh... so you're ok with all this? I guess I misunderstood your earlier response.
No, I'm not okay with it. I think pretending that a profession is somehow the same thing as a race, gender, or religion is ridiculous. And it will make cops think they are better than everyone else, something they don't need help with.

No, I'm not okay with it. I think pretending that a profession is somehow the same thing as a race, gender, or religion is ridiculous. And it will make cops think they are better than everyone else, something they don't need help with.

How is it different? Why should someone's race grant them more rights than their choice of profession?

How is it different? Why should someone's race grant them more rights than their choice of profession?
Every race is protected by hate crime laws so you saying "someone" has more rights is a bit silly.

You cannot choose your race. You can choose your profession.

Every race is protected by hate crime laws so you saying "someone" has more rights is a bit silly.

Alright. Nevermind.

Dblack, can I assume you cannot answer the question I asked in post 6 three days ago?

Assume whatever you like.

Well considering I asked you specifically what "rights" or "privileges" this law afforded first responders and after 4 days you failed to respond, I will safely assume that you can't answer that.

Thus, you're full of shit.

This law isn't just about cops. ITS ABOUT FIRST RESPONDERS. This includes firefighters, paramedics, etc.

I believe most places have had laws like this on the books for years . For example " assaulting a police officer " or "threats against judges ".

So would you remove all protected classes that are defined by choices?

I believe most places have had laws like this on the books for years . For example " assaulting a police officer " or "threats against judges ".

Some do, and I'd argue they are wrong for the same reasons, but this is the first time that I know of where they've tied it to 'protected class' status. This is important because many of us have raised concerns that the 'protected class' precedent would be expanded, and it has. The sad irony is that the civil rights movement, initially focused squarely on ensuring equal rights for all, has been subverted into government that does the opposite, that protects rights decidedly unequally.

Maybe. But I don't think you could remove the religious exemption even though religion is a choice.

Maybe. But I don't think you could remove the religious exemption even though religion is a choice.

And then there's the endless grey areas. Is sexual preference a 'choice'? The choice to have children? (it's illegal in some arenas to discriminate based on whether someone has children). I don't think it matters, but even if you hang your hat on the 'choice' criteria, it's hardly a limiting factor, and invites all kinds of philosophical questions around how much 'choice' any of us really have (determinism, free will, et.al)

And then there's the endless grey areas. Is sexual preference a 'choice'? The choice to have children? (it's illegal in some arenas to discriminate based on whether someone has children). I don't think it matters, but even if you hang your hat on the 'choice' criteria, it's hardly a limiting factor, and invites all kinds of philosophical questions around how much 'choice' any of us really have (determinism, free will, et.al)
I think sexual preference is innate and as long as you aren't violating someone else's rights you shouldn't be discriminated for it.

So is reproducing though I think the tax code favors breeders unfairly, speaking as a breeder.

Dblack I've asked you twice, now I'll ask you a 3rd and final time before labeling you a troll. What specific "right" or "privilege" are first responders getting from this new law?

Be specific and quote the law. Thanks in advance.

Dblack I've asked you twice, now I'll ask you a 3rd and final time before labeling you a troll. What specific "right" or "privilege" are first responders getting from this new law?

Be specific and quote the law. Thanks in advance.

Jeez... okay. If it wasn't entirely clear, I was ignoring your earlier posts. I didn't see your demand (it wasn't a question) as serious, and the pomposity is tedious ("Be specific"? Do you see yourself as some kind of 'quizmaster'?).

Anyway, on the outside chance your confusion is sincere, and that you're not simply an authoritarian defending authority at all costs, I'll indulge.

Government protects our rights via laws, specifically, by penalizing those who violate them. If the penalties are more severe for violating the rights of one group of people, and less severe (or non-existent) for violating the rights of another group, the second group is receiving less protection from government, the first, more.

In this case, the Louisiana law grants "protected class" status to first responders (police officers, firefighters and emergency medical service personnel) and makes it illegal to target them based on their profession. Other professions don't get this special protection. If you throw a rock through a cop's window because you hate cops, you'll be punished more severely than if you throw rock through a lawyer's window because you hate lawyers. This gives those who fall under the "protected class" more protection. It gives first responders the "right" to not to be targeted because of their profession. It doesn't give that right to bankers, or auto-mechanics, or the unemployed.

Forum List

Back