Me & Scalia

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
Note the damage done by the XVII Amendment. When Wilson tried to get the US into the League —— seven years after the XVII Amendment in 1913 —— enough senators remained loyal to this country to keep the US out of the League. By 1945 the Senate as a body betrayed this country by establishing the United Nations. Long-serving senators have not stopped since then.

A World War II Mindset Is Needed

When an average guy like me saw it long before I ever heard of Justice Scalia, I have to wonder how many Americans would also like to see the XVII Amendment repealed:

The most damaging change to this structure came in the form of the 17th Amendment, which provided for the direct, popular election of U.S. senators, Scalia said. Prior to when the amendment was ratified in 1913, state legislators would appoint U.S. senators. While this amendment was viewed as step forward for democracy, Scalia argued that it removed a key component of the constitutional structure the framers had put in place to protect federalism and state interests.

"You now have senators who have no connection to the state government, never been in state government and some of them have never been to the state," Scalia observed during his talk.

Recalling Justice Scalia's timeless warning against an unrestrained federal government
By Kevin Mooney • 5/30/16 12:03 AM

Recalling Justice Scalia's timeless warning against an unrestrained federal government

My only critique of Scalia is that he did not address this:

The XVII Amendment built a nest of traitors more loyal to the United Nations, to an all-powerful federal government, than they are to federalism and their respective states.

Forum List

Back