Blak Troops Only - The Battle of Bamber Bridge

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Racial tensions were exacerbated by the race riots in Detroit earlier that week, which had led to 34 deaths, including 25 black casualties.

According to Anthony Burgess, the people of Bamber Bridge supported the black troops, and when US commanders demanded a colour bar in the town, all three pubs in the town reportedly posted "Black Troops Only" signs.

Britain welcomed its allies from America. They welcomed the soldiers but had no truck with Jim Crow. We were fighting nazis not setting up nazi policies.

Black troops, particularly those from the south must have thought they were in heaven. They could eat nd drink where they wanted. Sit anywhere on the bus, date white girls and even marry them.

When their white comrades tried to enforce Jim Crow in Britain the locals were not having it. British men were fighting nazis , not aquiesing to their racism. There was even an incident where rednecks tried to kick Sir Learie Constantine out of a bar.It caused mayhem amongst british people who knew who he was.

Was the war the catalyst for the civil rights movement ?

A few decades later America would start to catch up and treat people like people.

Racial tensions were exacerbated by the race riots in Detroit earlier that week, which had led to 34 deaths, including 25 black casualties.

According to Anthony Burgess, the people of Bamber Bridge supported the black troops, and when US commanders demanded a colour bar in the town, all three pubs in the town reportedly posted "Black Troops Only" signs.

Britain welcomed its allies from America. They welcomed the soldiers but had no truck with Jim Crow. We were fighting nazis not setting up nazi policies.

Black troops, particularly those from the south must have thought they were in heaven. They could eat nd drink where they wanted. Sit anywhere on the bus, date white girls and even marry them.

When their white comrades tried to enforce Jim Crow in Britain the locals were not having it. British men were fighting nazis , not aquiesing to their racism. There was even an incident where rednecks tried to kick Sir Learie Constantine out of a bar.It caused mayhem amongst british people who knew who he was.

A few decades later America would start to catch up and treat people like people.
Sir Learie Constantine
who?

The blame for this belongs solely with the Commander in Chief, President Roosevelt.

He insisted on fielding a Jim Crow Army during WW2, instead of intergrating the force, even though the US military was very small before festivities began and he could have crafted the Army any way he liked.

My old man was in the US Army in WW2, and where he was, he never saw blacks in uniform. This didn't help build any friendship between blacks and whites.

Hitler must have busted a gut when he saw the hypocrisy of FDR, supposedly fighting against racism and antisemitism, yet fielding a segregated military in the field.

Right? :dunno:

Sleepy little hamlet neat Manchester. I have a friend who lives there. I had a Yorkshire Pudding at the inn where the "battle" occurred.

The historical event was WWII and has nothing to do with anything, except it has supposed "racist" overtones.

And then there's the fact that Tammy can't spell a world I learned to spell when I was about six years old.

Last edited:
The blame for this belongs solely with the Commander in Chief, President Roosevelt.

He insisted on fielding a Jim Crow Army during WW2, instead of intergrating the force, even though the US military was very small before festivities began and he could have crafted the Army any way he liked.

My old man was in the US Army in WW2, and where he was, he never saw blacks in uniform. This didn't help build any friendship between blacks and whites.

Hitler must have busted a gut when he saw the hypocrisy of FDR, supposedly fighting against racism and antisemitism, yet fielding a segregated military in the field.
Having been treated as people in the UK it was difficult to go back to Jim Crow America. Amazing that the US was still peddling this shit in the 60s. Some of our fellow posters still pine for those days.

Why are you deflecting here ? Does it make the treatment of Black troops any better ?

I think the point is, is that England's treatment of minorities has always been a lot WORSE than America's.

Ever here of the "British Empire" where they jacked around people all over the globe, treating Africans, East Indians, orientals like shit wherever they went?

America used to be colonized by Britain, and the whole reason why most of the people came here was Religious Discrimination in the UK. Puritans, Baptists, Quakers, etc., were all highly persecuted and sought refuge in the US Colonies.

America was not ready for an "integrated" fighting force during WWII. The "white" soldiers (and some of their officers, I suspect) would have refused to serve alongside Negroes. FDR was not a social-justice warrior, he was the Commander in Chief, trying to win a war.

I wonder whether "colored" Englishmen would have been welcome in their ubiquitous mens' clubs at the time.

I always hear of the ww2 army not being integrated but then I am shown by a co-worker his dad's ww2 combat platoon led by Audie Murphy and there in front is a black guy. Then I watch a documentary of Marines landing on Pacific islands fighting the Japanese and what do I see on the landing crafts manning machine guns but a black guy.
I understand the issue but I am not sure of how accurate the issue was after I learn of the Pearl Harbor attack when Blackman on the deck of the sinking and on fire, USS Arizona dueled it out with Japanese fighter planes to protect his buddies who were in the water.

Last edited:

Interesting, that place is not many miles from where i live, i had read about tensions with some white soldiers in Britain, do you think it was men from places like Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi etc? i have family in Alabama and Gerogia, Cousins had uncle and aunt but they are now passed.

You dumb Eurotrash.

It was the UK that brought over most of the slaves to the colonies.

America was not ready for an "integrated" fighting force during WWII. The "white" soldiers (and some of their officers, I suspect) would have refused to serve alongside Negroes. FDR was not a social-justice warrior, he was the Commander in Chief, trying to win a war.

I wonder whether "colored" Englishmen would have been welcome in their ubiquitous mens' clubs at the time.
Well that shows just how primitive and ignorant they were, and yes there had been problems at that time in the British armed forces,but then again some of the establishment officers looked down on their underlings no matter what colour they were, i put that down to good old British snobbery going back generations, my Dad served with the Coldstream Guards in WW2, he told me the best officer he served under had come up through the ranks from a working class background and didn't have a silver spoon up his backside and that was unusual in those days, his Daddy didn't buy him a commission into the Guards, i read a story long time ago that highlighted that snobbery,we had some RAF sergeant fighter pilots in WW2, the article i read said the officer Pilots shared the same quarters on the base with Sergeant pilots, but they seperated the ranks with a screen of hanging blankets, these men were risking their lives side by side every day, yet the Officers segregated themselves, crazy.

Why do liberal Brits assume "rednecks" were responsible for kicking some guy named Sir. Constantine out of a bar? It's just a kneejerk phrase used to bolster a lame argument. Japanese Americans suffered way more than black Soldiers under Jim Crow stuff. FDR was hardly a redneck but he used the "N" bomb often and appointed a KKK member to the Supreme Court.

Forum List

Back