Blagojevich defends actions in interview

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Associated Press

CHICAGO - Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich said Friday that if what he's done as Illinois governor is an impeachable offense, he's living on the "wrong planet" and is in the "wrong place."

Speaking to a WLS-TV reporter outside a Chicago law office, the governor said he was hired to fight for the people of Illinois and that's what he's been doing.

Blagojevich defends actions in interview - Politics- msnbc.com

Did he sing:

If lying, cheating,extortion and stealing is wrong, I don't wanna be right..........:eusa_whistle:

Oh he will, he hasn't a loyal bone in his body, not that tune, but to the prosecutors once he realizes he really is being barbqued.

He is a democrat, they are above the law. Anything they do is ok cause it was for the "people".

Democrats are not above the law.

Republicans should not be either.

The legislative branch is a third of government, judicial another third. Politicians are subject to law.

Will you retract this post when he is found guilty?

The legislative branch is a third of government, judicial another third. Politicians are subject to law.

No. Democrats think and act just as I have posted. They have since at least the 70's. He is even saying it in his defense, he is saying he did lots of wonderful things so no one should care that he broke the law.

No. Democrats think and act just as I have posted. They have since at least the 70's. He is even saying it in his defense, he is saying he did lots of wonderful things so no one should care that he broke the law.

Since the 70s, huh? The 70s when a Republican president so wantonly broke and disregarded the law that he had to resign from office to escape impeachment? Then the next Republican president pardoned him?

Or how about the 80s, when Reagan took part in an illegal war by illegally selling arms to a hostile enemy, Iran, to fund the fascist Contras decimating villages in Nicaragua? Then, of course, those responsible were pardoned by Bush I. Or how about when his Cabinet defrauded and stole from the government to give to their constituents rather than to build houses for the poor like the money was intended for? Savings and Loan?

Bush II has essentially declared that he is above the law and acted accordingly. The suspension of Habeas Corpus for US Citizens, advocacy and approval of torture, illegal and unwarranted domestic spying and wiretaps, ignoring both the Geneva Convention and US law in the treatment of prisoners of war, extraordinary rendition, etc. all show, as do statements by Bush and Cheney, that they feel they're above the laws and the president essentially has the right to do anything he wants in wartime (directly in contradiction with established laws).

This is to say nothing of all the crimes by lesser-tier Republican officials like Tom DeLay, Mark Foley, Ted Stevens, and on and on.

Now, Democratic politicians have been guilty of many crimes as well (of which Blagojevich is just one example). My point is not that it's Republicans specifically that act as though they're above the law. Rather, pretending that it's unique and pronounced in Democrats alone and not a problem of politicians across both aisles is intellectually dishonest and factually inaccurate.

Tons and tons of politicians are corrupt, unscrupulous politicians. This does not come as a result of their party affiliation, that has nothing to do with it, it comes as a result of their lack of ethics.

Last edited:
Since the 70s, huh? The 70s when a Republican president so wantonly broke and disregarded the law that he had to resign from office to escape impeachment? Then the next Republican president pardoned him?

Or how about the 80s, when Reagan took part in an illegal war by illegally selling arms to a hostile enemy, Iran, to fund the fascist Contras decimating villages in Nicaragua? Then, of course, those responsible were pardoned by Bush I. Or how about when his Cabinet defrauded and stole from the government to give to their constituents rather than to build houses for the poor like the money was intended for? Savings and Loan?

Bush II has essentially declared that he is above the law and acted accordingly. The suspension of Habeas Corpus for US Citizens, advocacy and approval of torture, illegal and unwarranted domestic spying and wiretaps, ignoring both the Geneva Convention and US law in the treatment of prisoners of war, extraordinary rendition, etc. all show, as do statements by Bush and Cheney, that they feel they're above the laws and the president essentially has the right to do anything he wants in wartime (directly in contradiction with established laws).

This is to say nothing of all the crimes by lesser-tier Republican officials like Tom DeLay, Mark Foley, Ted Stevens, and on and on.

Now, Democratic politicians have been guilty of many crimes as well (of which Blagojevich is just one example). My point is not that it's Republicans specifically that act as though they're above the law. Rather, pretending that it's unique and pronounced in Democrats alone and not a problem of politicians across both aisles is intellectually dishonest and factually inaccurate.

Tons and tons of politicians are corrupt, unscrupulous politicians. This does not come as a result of their party affiliation, that has nothing to do with it, it comes as a result of their lack of ethics.

*yawn*

get a new schtick. This worn out one is threadbare. The only thing you got right is Nixon.

The sad truth is, Democrats do NOT hold their own to the same standard they hold Republicans, while Republicans will crucify one of their own the second an allegation is made and it doesn't even have to be an allegation with merit.

However, in this particular case, it seems EVERYONE, to include the Democrats wantthis guy gone. I would too. He's an embarrassment and political liability.

He should have the grace and wisdom to step down. Since he will not, he is going to get crucified.

*yawn*

get a new schtick. This worn out one is threadbare. The only thing you got right is Nixon.

Oh? The Reagan Administration didn't illegally sell arms to Iranians to circumvent Congress and fund guerrillas in Nicaragua who were decimating villages?

I'd love to hear that explained away.

As for the "schtick", it's because over half the frequent posters here see everything in the simple and ridiculous terms of "Republican/Conservative = Pure Good", "Democrat/Liberal = Pure Evil" or vice-versa. Thinking like that makes debate pointless, because to that line of thinking facts and arguments don't matter.

Last edited:
Oh? The Reagan Administration didn't illegally sell arms to Iranians to circumvent Congress and fund guerrillas in Nicaragua who were decimating villages?

I'd love to hear that explained away.

The Reagan Administration did not illegally sell arms to Iranians. Nothing to explain away. The individuals who did so were charged and punished for the crimes they committed.

You trying to lay it on the entire Reagan Administration is just partisan, wishful thinking.

There we go again with the constant misuse of the word "partisan" around here.

Reagan's Secretary of Defense was found guilty, as were members of the NSC. Reagan was present at meetings (like on Dec 7, 1985 and February 8, 1986) in which the plans to sell arms to Iranians were discussed. It was stated here explicitly by John Poindexter that this would be a way to make "money outside congressional oversight" to fund the Contras in Nicaragua. Reagan said at the Tower Commission that he had authorized the weapons sale following these meetings. He repeated in his autobiography that he authorized their sale.

The shielding of Reagan from responsibility was lower men falling on their swords and allowing him to maintain plausible deniability that ain't exactly plausible. No one admitted before Congress that the president knew "the full extent of the plan" and just like old mob trials, the boss got off by being able to claim he had no knowledge of what his top-level underlings were doing. Lots of "I don't recalls" and "I can't remember the specifics of that particular meeting" and so on. Thankfully no one asked what the definition of "is" was, but it was pure obstruction BS. Reagan was finally chastised by Congress for not supervising his chief subordinates, butthey let him off of any criminal charge. Because hey, he's the president, you can't send him to jail. How would that make us look?

Even if Reagan were completely uninvolved with the program (he wasn't), those who were and who were found guilty were Republicans in a Republican administration and that's the only point here. That corruption and lawbreaking are NOT unique to Democrats and characterizations otherwise are dishonest.

Last edited:
There we go again with the constant misuse of the word "partisan" around here.

Reagan's Secretary of Defense was found guilty, as were members of the NSC. Reagan was present at meetings (like on Dec 7, 1985 and February 8, 1986) in which the plans to sell arms to Iranians were discussed. It was stated here explicitly by John Poindexter that this would be a way to make "money outside congressional oversight" to fund the Contras. Reagan said at the Tower Commission that he had authorized the weapons sale. He repeated in his autobiography that he had authorized their sale.

The shielding of Reagan from responsibility was lower men falling on their swords and allowing him to maintain plausible deniability that ain't exactly plausible. No one admitted before Congress that the president knew "the full extent of the plan" and just like old mob trials, the boss got off by being able to claim he had no knowledge of what his top-level underlings were doing. He was chastised by Congress for not supervising his chief subordinates, but let him off of any criminal charge. Because hey, he's the president.

Even if Reagan were completely uninvolved with the program, those who were and who were found guilty were Republicans in a Republican administration and that's the only point here. That corruption and lawbreaking are NOT unique to Democrats and characterizations otherwise are dishonest.

I don't misuse the word at all. You are a partisan hack. Your blind hatred for anything Republican is as obvious as daylight.

This thread is about Blagojevich, not every Republican you've ever hated or want to accuse of some bogus shit. Quit deflecting and address the topic.

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :booze:

The sad truth is, Democrats do NOT hold their own to the same standard they hold Republicans, while Republicans will crucify one of their own the second an allegation is made and it doesn't even have to be an allegation with merit.

However, in this particular case, it seems EVERYONE, to include the Democrats wantthis guy gone. I would too. He's an embarrassment and political liability.

He should have the grace and wisdom to step down. Since he will not, he is going to get crucified.

Not all the time Gunny. Remember Larry Craig? He was a Republican, and yes, there were a few people telling him to step down, but, when push came to shove, they blustered about it for a bit, then went and found something else to bitch about.

Yes, Blow Job Bitch (my name for him) SHOULD step the hell down and be placed in jail, he's done way too much screwing around and has pretty much soiled the office of IL Governor, much the same way that Bush and Cheney have fucked up the office of President and Veep.

But.....then again........we can always look at Ted Stevens........

I don't misuse the word at all. You are a partisan hack. Your blind hatred for anything Republican is as obvious as daylight.

This thread is about Blagojevich, not every Republican you've ever hated or want to accuse of some bogus shit. Quit deflecting and address the topic.

You do. I'm not an adherent to any party, group, or person and I don't have a blind allegiance to anything. If you want to include "adherent to a cause" as a definition, then EVERYONE ON EARTH is a partisan and the word loses any useful meaning.

I get that for 7+ years you've heard constant attacks on Bush and his cabinet from Democrats. So you've come to view anyone with a beef with Bush's actions, regardless of merit, as one of those. But just because I also condemn Bush and his cabinet does not make me a democrat. It's funny that I get called a secret Republican and conservative all the time too for criticizing Obama and condemning his cabinet. People can just have firm ethics and standards and stand by them, that will cause them to call out WHOEVER does wrong.

I don't hate Republicans any more than I hate Democrats and I don't hate either for their political party, rather for their actions. Truman, Kennedy, and Johnson are every bit as bad as Nixon, Reagan, and Bush. I don't belong to and have never voted for either party, my problems with politicians are NOT exclusive or even dominantly towards Republicans.

What I said was on topic because RetGySgt tried to claim that Democrats alone consider themselves above the law when it's obvious as daylight that many members of both parties act that way.

What on the topic needs to be addressed? Blagojevich is obviously guilty, I can hardly imagine anyone disputing that. There is ample proof in the form of recorded conversations that he was breaking the law. He's been charged, hopefully he is found guilty and serves time rather than getting off with the requisite slap on the wrist. I hope Obama is pressured by the scandal to not pardon or commute his sentence.

As for deflecting, how again does the Iran-Contra affair not demonstrate (along with the rest) that Republican Administrations act as though they're above the law just like Democratic Administrations? Reagan didn't illegally sell arms to Iranians even though he said himself before Congress and in his autobiography that he did?

Last edited:

That is the definition of a "partisan hack" comment in the manner you mean it.

An overgeneralization that paints your side as valiant and the other as slimy, when the truth clearly says there's enough slime to go around and rare valiance is shared by members of both.

The real truth is, PEOPLE WHO DON'T THINK FOR THEMSELVES and are blind sheep followers of whatever party or official they've decided to deify regardless of merit do not hold their own to the same standard they hold the other party/officials. There's tons of examples of both not holding their own party to the standards they hold the other, and a few examples of both doing the opposite. It is not exclusive to one party, that's dishonest and inaccurate.

That is the definition of a "partisan hack" comment in the manner you mean it.

An overgeneralization that paints your side as valiant and the other as slimy, when the truth clearly says there's enough slime to go around and rare valiance is shared by members of both.

The real truth is, PEOPLE WHO DON'T THINK FOR THEMSELVES and are blind sheep followers of whatever party or official they've decided to deify regardless of merit do not hold their own to the same standard they hold the other party/officials. There's tons of examples of both not holding their own party to the standards they hold the other, and a few examples of both doing the opposite. It is not exclusive to one party, that's dishonest and inaccurate.

Leave Blago out of it, there are too many Democrats that hate him to, for good reason. With that exception, show me where the Democrats condemn their own? We'll respond with condemnations from Republicans, upon ill mannered, much less corrupt Republicans. Ok?

First nominees on being taken over the coals by own party: Gingrich & Lott

Forum List

Back