Blacks who do not believe in integration or Interracial marriage

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
I read an article about Barack Obamma, and how he felt , and many other mixed race people, that it is a benefit to be a Mulatto, or of mixed race.
But I must say, contrary to popular belief, many Blacks that I know, are not
for integration,or interracial marriage.

I think the media has this misconception that interracial marriage, is on the rise.It is not on the rise.

I read an article about Barack Obamma, and how he felt , and many other mixed race people, that it is a benefit to be a Mulatto, or of mixed race.
But I must say, contrary to popular belief, many Blacks that I know, are not
for integration,or interracial marriage.

I think the media has this misconception that interracial marriage, is on the rise.It is not on the rise.

It appears by some metrics, it is on the rise. Further, cohabitation generally is more acceptable than it used to be, so it is quite possible that marriage statistics understand dramatically the number of mixed-race relationships in the United States.

The number of interracial marriages in the United States has been on the rise: from 310,000 in 1970, to 651,000 in 1980, and 1,161,000 in 1992, according to the US Census of 1993. Interracial marriages represented 0.7% of all marriages in 1970, rising to 1.3% in 1980 and 2.2% in 1992. With the introduction of the mixed-race category, the 2000 census revealed interracial marriage to be somewhat more widespread, with 2,669,558 interracial marriages recorded, or 4.9% of all marriages.[2]. It should be noted that these statistics do not take into account ethnic groups within the same broad categories - for example a marriage involving a person of Japanese origin and a person of Indian origin would not be considered 'mixed'. Nor is hispanic status taken into account[2].
Interracial marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It appears by some metrics, it is on the rise. Further, cohabitation generally is more acceptable than it used to be, so it is quite possible that marriage statistics understand dramatically the number of mixed-race relationships in the United States.

Interracial marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, as for the "Hispanic" thing, in consideration of the fact that "Hispanic" denotes a language category, rather than a "race" any marriage between people of like race but differnt 1st language could not be called "interracial".....

Like, if an Irish Catholic marries a Polish Catholic, that isn't a "mixed" marriage either, just possibly a strange one!

from the August 28, 2003 edition

All in the (mixed-race) family: a US trend

Data show a significant rise in mixed-race families due to interracial marriages and multiracial adoptions.

By Mary Wiltenburg and Amanda Paulson | Staff writers of The Christian Science Monitor

Five years ago, Ann Tollefson says, her family was stared at. Nobody was openly hostile, but often enough they'd point to her children - adopted from China, India, and Vietnam - and ask, "How much did they cost?"
Today it's a different story. There are more mixed-race families in America than ever before - even in Mrs. Tollefson's St. Louis suburb.
p3a.jpg
MIXED FAMILY: Carmen (center) who was adopted by Russell and Jan Walgamott of Carey, Idaho, reads to Caitlyn (l.) who was adopted from China, and Colton, one of the parents' biological children.
GERRY MELENDEZ/THE IDAHO STATESMAN/AP
vert_photo_bottom.gif
Related stories

01/15/03
The changing face of love

New 2000 Census data show that more than 1 in 6 adopted kids is of a different race from their parents. And according to new analysis by William Frey, a demographer with the Brookings Institution in Washington, about 1 in 15 marriages in the US is interracial - up from 1 in 23 in 1990.

America "has always, obviously, had people of color," says adoption expert Adam Pertman. "The bigger notion is that America is ... starting to accept that it is a nation of color. We see that now not just within cities, but within the family."

Tollefson sees it in her parish. Hers was the only mixed-race family there when she and her husband first adopted in 1995. Today, three other families have adopted kids from China, and several more from Guatemala. It makes a difference, she says: Her kids are happy, but they seem to relax just a little more when they're around other mixed-race families.

"They warm up faster. They're not as clingy. They try new things more when they're around people who look like us," she says.

And she notices a difference, too, in the way people look at her family: "People are much more accepting today.... You know the ripple thing, a drop in the water and the rings go out? It's hard to find somebody who hasn't been touched by international adoption."

According to the first-ever profile of America's adopted children, released in a Census report Friday, 1.6 million US children under 18 are in adoptive families. Of those, 17 percent of adoptees make their families multiracial, and 13 percent were born abroad.

Mr. Pertman, director of the Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute, estimates that the number of US adoptions from abroad has tripled in the past decade.

"When you look at the number of people adopting from Asia, from Latin America - more than half are adopting from countries where the kids aren't going to look anything like their parents," he says. "That's starting to make a difference in the way people think of families, of inheritance, of nurture versus nature, you name it."

More people are marrying people who don't look anything like them, as well. But Mr. Frey, who analyzed detailed microsamples of census data, found that the numbers varied highly from state to state. In New Mexico, for instance, 16 percent of all marriages were interracial, whereas in Mississippi it's 2 percent.

"There are two ways of looking at this," Frey says. "One is, it's gone real fast. And two: It's pretty concentrated in just a few states.... It's still a pretty small share of all marriages, especially those involving whites."
It's worth noting that unlike most census analysts, Frey treated Latinos as a racial group, and nearly half of the 3.7 million interracial marriages he counts include a Latino.

Frey calls some of the states with the highest percentages of mixed-race marriages - such as New Mexico, California, and Hawaii - "melting pot" states: All have several significant minority groups, not just one.

That's something Brigitte Ball can attest to. A corporate librarian in Boston, Ms. Ball has been married for two years. She is African-American; her husband, Jeff, is white. They met in Seattle, Brigitte's hometown. There, she says, she grew up with far less segregation by neighborhood than she sees in cities like Boston. Her best friends include women who are biracial, Jewish, and Latina.

"We're like a United Nations bunch," she laughs.

Recently, Brigitte has been reading "Interracial Intimacies" by Harvard law professor Randall Kennedy, which examines America's long and troubled history with both marriage and adoption across racial lines.
\
"Some of the stories he brings up - you can't look at the way things are today and not think there hasn't been progress," she says. Still, she and Jeff are thinking of moving back to Seattle when they decide to have children. "I would never want my kid to be in a situation where he's one child surrounded by only black, or only white," she explains.

That segregation by neighborhood, which still exists in many American cities, may help explain another of Frey's findings: that blacks are far less likely than other groups to marry across racial lines. While nearly 30 percent of marriages involving a Latino or Asian is interracial, only about 12 percent of marriages involving an African-American is.

America's two major racial barriers, he says, are more intimate ones: living next door to someone of a different race and marrying someone of a different race. "And those are the areas where black segregation has continued to remain high."

Still, Frey found that even states with the lowest percentages of interracial marriages have seen substantial growth. They increased in Tennessee by 133 percent since 1990, and doubled in West Virginia and Vermont. "It's a trend on the rise in every place," Frey says. "But it will be a long time before West Virginia or Vermont or North Dakota will be in the 'postracial America' kind of scenario."

In the end, both adoption and marriage may help break down some racial barriers that persist. With adoption in particular, Pertman finds that it's tough for people to hang onto prejudices.

"We're a polyglot nation. Adoption just makes that more intimate, within a family. So a racist who doesn't think black and white people should marry suddenly has a Chinese niece. Suddenly it's their family, suddenly it's hard to argue with."
All in the (mixed-race) family: a US trend | csmonitor.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/washington/01census.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Interesting blog on the issue: Light-skinned-ed Girl: Mixed Race Babies Sent to the U.S.

I really fail to see your point.I still say many Blacks that I know in my community, are againts interracial marriage. Having mixed race children brings
on many additional problems. Many claime indentity,chioce problems.Or not being accepted by Blacks or Whites.

Last edited:
I really fail to see your point.I still say many Blacks that I know in my community, are againts interracial marriage. Having mixed race children brings
on many additional problems. Many claime indentity,chioce problems.

The point is that you said that interracial marriage is not on the increase when it is.

You should not be too upset that people aren't willing to extrapolate grand conclusions from your personal experience. There is no reason that they should. If you should think otherwise, it is merely a manifestation of your monstrous ego. Read a newspaper and find out about the world outside of 52nd street.

I guess I will find out if you are right about mixed-race children when I have kids. If it is a problem, we will deal with it. Lots of fucked up people come from parents of the same racial background.

The Bible says" Do not mix your seeds". I would never have any mixed race
Children.They get called all kinds of names,like Zebra,or mongrel,Get my
point.Who would want to subject their child to a lifetime of abuse and name calling. I think the thats whats makes us all unique, the beauty of diffrent and unique races,not this mixed up melting pot stew,that some people are trying to promote.It just doesn't look right. The Black Panthers does not sleep with the Lions or Chetahs in the Jungle.Animals don't intermix,I feel humans should not mix around also.

point.Who would want to subject their child to a lifetime of abuse and name calling. I think the thats whats makes us all unique, the beauty of diffrent and unique races,not this mixed up melting pot stew,that some people are trying to promote.It just doesn't look right. The Black Panthers does not sleep with the Lions or Chetahs in the Jungle.Animals don't intermix,I feel humans should not mix around also.

If it weren't for nuts like you who raise their children to believe in racial purity, no one would call any children names.

There is nothing wrong with promoting racial purity. Interbreading can create
problems in offspring.This is how the races came about. They were separated,after the initial creation.The Black race was the original race.
We have 1.The Black Race
2.The Asian Race
3.The Indian Race
4.The Caucasian Race
5.The Aboriginal Race.

These are the 5 major classification.

There is nothing wrong with promoting racial purity. Interbreading can create
problems in offspring.This is how the races came about. They were separated,after the initial creation.The Black race was the original race.
We have 1.The Black Race
2.The Asian Race
3.The Indian Race
4.The Caucasian Race
5.The Aboriginal Race.

These are the 5 major classification.

I don't want to be disrespectful, because I am sure that you were brought up to believe exactly these things, but I think you should know that most people would find you to be a bit crazy. Promoting racial purity hasn't really been en vogue since at least the 1960s, and quite possibly 1945. Just an fyi.

I don't want to be disrespectful, because I am sure that you were brought up to believe exactly these things, but I think you should know that most people would find you to be a bit crazy. Promoting racial purity hasn't really been en vogue since at least the 1960s, and quite possibly 1945. Just an fyi.

Seems to me that even dog breeders aren't too keen on 'purity', as it tends to lead to all sorts of genetic problems. As 52nd St probably illustrates.

Well, as for the "Hispanic" thing, in consideration of the fact that "Hispanic" denotes a language category, rather than a "race" any marriage between people of like race but differnt 1st language could not be called "interracial".....

Like, if an Irish Catholic marries a Polish Catholic, that isn't a "mixed" marriage either, just possibly a strange one!

from the August 28, 2003 edition

All in the (mixed-race) family: a US trend

Data show a significant rise in mixed-race families due to interracial marriages and multiracial adoptions.

By Mary Wiltenburg and Amanda Paulson | Staff writers of The Christian Science Monitor

Five years ago, Ann Tollefson says, her family was stared at. Nobody was openly hostile, but often enough they'd point to her children - adopted from China, India, and Vietnam - and ask, "How much did they cost?"
Today it's a different story. There are more mixed-race families in America than ever before - even in Mrs. Tollefson's St. Louis suburb.
p3a.jpg
MIXED FAMILY: Carmen (center) who was adopted by Russell and Jan Walgamott of Carey, Idaho, reads to Caitlyn (l.) who was adopted from China, and Colton, one of the parents' biological children.
GERRY MELENDEZ/THE IDAHO STATESMAN/AP
vert_photo_bottom.gif
Related stories

01/15/03
The changing face of love

New 2000 Census data show that more than 1 in 6 adopted kids is of a different race from their parents. And according to new analysis by William Frey, a demographer with the Brookings Institution in Washington, about 1 in 15 marriages in the US is interracial - up from 1 in 23 in 1990.

America "has always, obviously, had people of color," says adoption expert Adam Pertman. "The bigger notion is that America is ... starting to accept that it is a nation of color. We see that now not just within cities, but within the family."

Tollefson sees it in her parish. Hers was the only mixed-race family there when she and her husband first adopted in 1995. Today, three other families have adopted kids from China, and several more from Guatemala. It makes a difference, she says: Her kids are happy, but they seem to relax just a little more when they're around other mixed-race families.

"They warm up faster. They're not as clingy. They try new things more when they're around people who look like us," she says.

And she notices a difference, too, in the way people look at her family: "People are much more accepting today.... You know the ripple thing, a drop in the water and the rings go out? It's hard to find somebody who hasn't been touched by international adoption."

According to the first-ever profile of America's adopted children, released in a Census report Friday, 1.6 million US children under 18 are in adoptive families. Of those, 17 percent of adoptees make their families multiracial, and 13 percent were born abroad.

Mr. Pertman, director of the Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute, estimates that the number of US adoptions from abroad has tripled in the past decade.

"When you look at the number of people adopting from Asia, from Latin America - more than half are adopting from countries where the kids aren't going to look anything like their parents," he says. "That's starting to make a difference in the way people think of families, of inheritance, of nurture versus nature, you name it."

More people are marrying people who don't look anything like them, as well. But Mr. Frey, who analyzed detailed microsamples of census data, found that the numbers varied highly from state to state. In New Mexico, for instance, 16 percent of all marriages were interracial, whereas in Mississippi it's 2 percent.

"There are two ways of looking at this," Frey says. "One is, it's gone real fast. And two: It's pretty concentrated in just a few states.... It's still a pretty small share of all marriages, especially those involving whites."
It's worth noting that unlike most census analysts, Frey treated Latinos as a racial group, and nearly half of the 3.7 million interracial marriages he counts include a Latino.

Frey calls some of the states with the highest percentages of mixed-race marriages - such as New Mexico, California, and Hawaii - "melting pot" states: All have several significant minority groups, not just one.

That's something Brigitte Ball can attest to. A corporate librarian in Boston, Ms. Ball has been married for two years. She is African-American; her husband, Jeff, is white. They met in Seattle, Brigitte's hometown. There, she says, she grew up with far less segregation by neighborhood than she sees in cities like Boston. Her best friends include women who are biracial, Jewish, and Latina.

"We're like a United Nations bunch," she laughs.

Recently, Brigitte has been reading "Interracial Intimacies" by Harvard law professor Randall Kennedy, which examines America's long and troubled history with both marriage and adoption across racial lines.
\
"Some of the stories he brings up - you can't look at the way things are today and not think there hasn't been progress," she says. Still, she and Jeff are thinking of moving back to Seattle when they decide to have children. "I would never want my kid to be in a situation where he's one child surrounded by only black, or only white," she explains.

That segregation by neighborhood, which still exists in many American cities, may help explain another of Frey's findings: that blacks are far less likely than other groups to marry across racial lines. While nearly 30 percent of marriages involving a Latino or Asian is interracial, only about 12 percent of marriages involving an African-American is.

America's two major racial barriers, he says, are more intimate ones: living next door to someone of a different race and marrying someone of a different race. "And those are the areas where black segregation has continued to remain high."

Still, Frey found that even states with the lowest percentages of interracial marriages have seen substantial growth. They increased in Tennessee by 133 percent since 1990, and doubled in West Virginia and Vermont. "It's a trend on the rise in every place," Frey says. "But it will be a long time before West Virginia or Vermont or North Dakota will be in the 'postracial America' kind of scenario."

In the end, both adoption and marriage may help break down some racial barriers that persist. With adoption in particular, Pertman finds that it's tough for people to hang onto prejudices.

"We're a polyglot nation. Adoption just makes that more intimate, within a family. So a racist who doesn't think black and white people should marry suddenly has a Chinese niece. Suddenly it's their family, suddenly it's hard to argue with."
All in the (mixed-race) family: a US trend | csmonitor.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/01/washington/01census.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Interesting blog on the issue: Light-skinned-ed Girl: Mixed Race Babies Sent to the U.S.

You'll have a hard time with that one. I grew up thinking Mexican kids I went to school with and played with were white. Lo and behold, there IS a segment out there that considers them a different race which learned later in life. I was kind of shocked.

it doesn't help that a segment of the Hispanic community presents themselves as being "brown," not white.

I think everyone is the same color. You can either hump ammo or you can't. Your value to me lies in the answer to that question.

Actually there is no such thing as a black panther. It is in fact a leopard that was born black instead of brownish; it is a mutation.

Last edited:
I don't want to be disrespectful, because I am sure that you where brought up to believe exactly these things, but I think you should know that most people would find you to be a bit crazy. Promoting racial purity hasn't really been en vogue since at least the 1960s, and quite possibly 1945. Just an fyi.

I don’t know if he is all that crazy and ant any rate he is entitled to his opinion. To the scientist, people can be categorized like any other animal. Face it the only real biologically difference between us and dogs, cats, and cows is we are smarter; however, sometimes I am not so sure about me.

Last edited:

:eusa_drool:

Americans have been mixing races since the settlement at Jamestown. For instance, my mother was a fair skinned black woman and my father, her husband was a medium brown complexion. So you tell me how the heck I was born very fair skinned, blue eyes and black hair then around the age of two my eyes turned green and my hair lightened. It's obvious to me what happened. . .can you guess?

um.

does the tower of babel have anything to do with it?

:lol:

does the tower of babel have anything to do with it?

I don't think so, since everyone there who suddenly was speaking a different tongue was a Babylonian.

Good question though.

Forum List

Back