Blacks Celebrating......what?

No Longer Majority Black, Harlem Is in Transition

articleLarge.jpg

For nearly a century, Harlem has been synonymous with black urban America. Given its magnetic and growing appeal to younger black professionals and its historic residential enclaves and cultural institutions, the neighborhood’s reputation as the capital of black America seems unlikely to change soon.

“I feel a community here that I don't feel in other parts of the city,” said Laura Murray, a student.

But the neighborhood is in the midst of a profound and accelerating shift. In greater Harlem, which runs river to river, and from East 96th Street and West 106th Street to West 155th Street, blacks are no longer a majority of the population — a shift that actually occurred a decade ago, but was largely overlooked.

By 2008, their share had declined to 4 in 10 residents. Since 2000, central Harlem’s population has grown more than in any other decade since the 1940s, to 126,000 from 109,000, but its black population — about 77,000 in central Harlem and about twice that in greater Harlem — is smaller than at any time since the 1920s.

In 2008, 22 percent of the white households in Harlem had moved to their present homes within the previous year. By comparison, only 7 percent of the black households had.

“It was a combination of location and affordability,” said Laura Murray, a 31-year-old graduate student in medical anthropology at Columbia, who moved to Sugar Hill near City College about a year ago. “I feel a community here that I don’t feel in other parts of the city.”

Change has been even more pronounced in the narrow north-south corridor defined as central Harlem, which planners roughly define as north of 110th Street between Fifth and St. Nicholas Avenues.

There, blacks account for 6 in 10 residents, but those born in the United States make up barely half of all residents. Since 2000, the proportion of whites living there has more than doubled, to more than one in 10 residents — the highest since the 1940s. The Hispanic population, which was concentrated in East Harlem, is now at an all-time high in central Harlem, up 27 percent since 2000.

Harlem, said Michael Henry Adams, a historian of the neighborhood and a resident, “is poised again at a point of pivotal transition.”

Harlem is hardly the only ethnic neighborhood to have metamorphosed because of inroads by housing pioneers seeking bargains and more space — Little Italy, for instance, has been largely gobbled up by immigrants expanding the boundaries of Chinatown and by creeping gentrification from SoHo. But Harlem has evolved uniquely.

Because so much of the community was devastated by demolition for urban renewal, arson and abandonment beginning in the 1960s, many newcomers have not so much dislodged existing residents as succeeded them. In the 1970s alone, the black population of central Harlem declined by more than 30 percent.

As Population Shifts in Harlem, Blacks Lose Their Majority - NYTimes.com

Actually due to the high cost of living, alot of black families have left Harlem and alot of whites and asians with money are moving in, the demographics are changing there.

Well here is a moment in which I learn something new. How is this occuring? If I recall, wasn't Harlem the birth place of the civil rights movement?

my heads in a bit of a spin. I see Harlem as a place with classical buildings along side modern ones, with, seriously, nothing but black people around.

meh, to much Hollywood, maybe.

Well the cost of living and prices of real estate have sky rocketed in New York City in recent years, alot of the original blacks who lived in Harlem can't afford to live there anymore and are being replaced by whites and asians who work uptown and make more money, the slumlords have also started to renovate their apartment complexes to accomodate them, when I lived in Virginia I ran into a shitload of New Yorkers who moved to Virginia because the cost of living in New York was just too damn high, hell in my barbershop 4 out of the 5 barbers that worked there were from New Yorks, Queens and the Bronx specifically.

crazy

The crown jewel of liberalism is pricing the poor out of thier neighborhoods.

Well, in Allentown, they started having issues with NYC gangs moving in a few years ago. I assumed it was for the easy pickens [there was only one local gang], turns out it may also be b/c many had to move.

That's a shame, Harlem has tons upon tons of history. Change sure can suck some times.

Nothing dipshit, I checked the link to find out what this was all about.

Harlem.

since it's mostly black, and we still have the naacp, it's not a stretch for me to wonder if it's for black kids only.

and to top it off, the girls on the cover page are 3 little black girls.

So fuck off with your idiotic assumptions.
Why don't you learn to think instead? It will keep you from coming across as a racist.

True story.

And perhaps asking questions instead of making accusations will make you seem like a more decent human being that has some semblance of manners.
You should apply that statement to yourself since you are the one that didn't ask questions and instead assumed something when you saw a picture of happy black people.

Well here is a moment in which I learn something new. How is this occuring? If I recall, wasn't Harlem the birth place of the civil rights movement?

my heads in a bit of a spin. I see Harlem as a place with classical buildings along side modern ones, with, seriously, nothing but black people around.

meh, to much Hollywood, maybe.

Well the cost of living and prices of real estate have sky rocketed in New York City in recent years, alot of the original blacks who lived in Harlem can't afford to live there anymore and are being replaced by whites and asians who work uptown and make more money, the slumlords have also started to renovate their apartment complexes to accomodate them, when I lived in Virginia I ran into a shitload of New Yorkers who moved to Virginia because the cost of living in New York was just too damn high, hell in my barbershop 4 out of the 5 barbers that worked there were from New Yorks, Queens and the Bronx specifically.

crazy

The crown jewel of liberalism is pricing the poor out of thier neighborhoods.

Well, in Allentown, they started having issues with NYC gangs moving in a few years ago. I assumed it was for the easy pickens [there was only one local gang], turns out it may also be b/c many had to move.

That's a shame, Harlem has tons upon tons of history. Change sure can suck some times.

The same thing happened in California too, my girlfriend is from Santa Barbara and had to leave when the cost of living basically tripled back in the 90's. Only the movers and shakers can afford to live in Cali and New York now. Some cities raise the cost of living on purpose to run out gangs and other undesirables they don't like but they just end up moving their gang somewhere else, which is the case in Allentown.

Last edited:
Why don't you learn to think instead? It will keep you from coming across as a racist.

True story.

And perhaps asking questions instead of making accusations will make you seem like a more decent human being that has some semblance of manners.
You should apply that statement to yourself since you are the one that didn't ask questions and instead assumed something when you saw a picture of happy black people.

good lord. Did you miss this;

Harlem.

since it's mostly black, and we still have the naacp, it's not a stretch for me to wonder if it's for black kids only.

seriously, I'm one of the few people that check links before posting, and don't think just inside a small minded box.

I see a pick with nothing but black faces, I check the link, nothing but black faces. I know a white person can not get help from the naacp.

so I asked a question. some tool assumed it was a statement instead.

I feel that orgs that support non-whites do more harm than good, b/c they are telling the people they are helping, that they can't beat whitey at his own game.

It's insulting.

good lord. Did you miss this;

Harlem.

seriously, I'm one of the few people that check links before posting, and don't think just inside a small minded box.

I see a pick with nothing but black faces, I check the link, nothing but black faces. I know a white person can not get help from the naacp.

so I asked a question. some tool assumed it was a statement instead.

I feel that orgs that support non-whites do more harm than good, b/c they are telling the people they are helping, that they can't beat whitey at his own game.

It's insulting.
At the link you could have found out that they have schools all around NYC. You could have found out how the application process works. You could have found out that admission is not based on race.

But you did none of that. You saw a picture of black kids and your confirmation bias kicked in backing up your initial knee jerk assumption.

Pathetic.

Instead of picking the hardest working kids they randomly choose from all that apply?

Only black kids, I take it.

No there are kids of all races and ethnicities into the charter school lotteries. I thought WFS was an excellent expose on schooling. Shame there aren't alot more. And even bigger shame that we don't teach people to educate themselves. Alot of these kids are going to need that motivation.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Talk about stupid.

You see a picture of black people and what enters your retarded head? :lol:

Harlem.

Actually due to the high cost of living, alot of black families have left Harlem and alot of whites and asians with money are moving in, the demographics are changing there.

yes well said, the neighborhood is shared, NY 14 & 15 between Carolyn B. Maloney who has a very small sliver and the bulk of which belongs to Rangel.

Now the question is, did either of them sppt. or do sppt. school choice?

Last edited:
I don't want to alarm anybody, but person who runs the Harlem Success Academy is Eva Moskowitz who is White. :eusa_shhh:

welcome.jpg

yes it is, she is a dem . who headed the New York City Council Education Committee in 2002, then tried a run for Manhattan borough pres. BUT , when she ran as a reformer and trendsetting dem. who exposed to view the machinations and horrid waste in the NYC city teachers-union contract, Randi Weingarten pres. of the UFT with assistance from the NEA, mobilized their money and cohorts and....... she did not get elected as the Man. borough pres.

Moral of the story? They eat their own when its nut cutting time.

ED-AN546_klein_G_20110509154718.jpg

Mavericks fans celebrating the Lakers getting blown out of the playoffs? Obama's gonna pay their mortgage? Grandma’s ham-hocks and collard greens for dinner?

No,they were just informed that their daughter received a coveted spot ( via lottery ala Waiting for Superman) in the Harlem Success Academy Charter School.......
Home Page | Harlem Success Academy

Stereotypes die hard….

carry on, that is all.

I'm sorry, but I don't even know what to make of your sick comment. To me, it's shocking that a LOTTERY has to be held in order for low-income kids living in putrid school districts to have a chance at a decent education.

Instead of picking the hardest working kids they randomly choose from all that apply?

That one was in Harlem, but they have lotteries in many places for spots in charter schools. It was the subject of the movie "Waiting for Superman."

How many white kids live in Harlem?

the zip code for the HQ of the Harlem Success Acd. is 10026 and the small sliver that Maloney owns as a rep. Rangel has the rest of Harlem..demographics below-

# Total Population: 30,377
# White Population: 2,626
# Black Population: 22,612
# Hispanic Population: 6,352
# Asian Population: 583
# Hawaiian Population: 16
# Indian Population: 193
# Male Population: 14,345
# Female Population: 16,032
# Median Age: 32.0
# Median Age of Males: 30.5
# Median Age of Females: 33.4

10026 Zip Code in New York, NY - Neighborhoods, Schools, Real Estate, Demographics and Relocation Tools

and one of Rangels district zips code which is representative of his district-

# Total Population: 25,847
# White Population: 1,125
# Black Population: 21,422
# Hispanic Population: 4,304
# Asian Population: 186
# Hawaiian Population: 15
# Indian Population: 134
# Male Population: 11,798
# Female Population: 14,049
# Median Age: 32.2
# Median Age of Males: 30.2
# Median Age of Females: 33.7

10030 Zip Code in New York, NY - Neighborhoods, Schools, Real Estate, Demographics and Relocation Tools

Forum List

Back