Blacks Celebrating......what?

Instead of picking the hardest working kids they randomly choose from all that apply?

Only black kids, I take it.

yes, they use a lottery. I have had this debate many times, and frankly, at the end of the day, it is imho the last, most 'fairest' system that they can employ.

Well, they need it most. But no, as it is a lottery anyone whom lives in that school district can apply.

Public service anncmt. survey Q-

who's congressional district is the Harlem Success Academy in? :eusa_whistle:

What is Charlie Rangel supposed to do about a single school district? They operate from state budgets, and local school boards construct the curriculum.

ED-AN546_klein_G_20110509154718.jpg

OMG, is that a zombie in a pink blouse???

I guess they come in black, too. Imagine that.

Instead of picking the hardest working kids they randomly choose from all that apply?

yes, they use a lottery. I have had this debate many times, and frankly, at the end of the day, it is imho the last, most 'fairest' system that they can employ.

Well, they need it most. But no, as it is a lottery anyone whom lives in that school district can apply.

What is Charlie Rangel supposed to do about a single school district? They operate from state budgets, and local school boards construct the curriculum.

Congressional reps. are powerless to help shape their constituents educational means?

You are aware I am sure(?) that the feds kick in huge amounts of money to states for education? Obama earmarked 10 Billion of stimulus funds for schools, for teachers , rehires employment etc etc.......NYC got their share so did LA Chicago etc...

ED-AN546_klein_G_20110509154718.jpg

Mavericks fans celebrating the Lakers getting blown out of the playoffs? Obama's gonna pay their mortgage? Grandma’s ham-hocks and collard greens for dinner?

No,they were just informed that their daughter received a coveted spot ( via lottery ala Waiting for Superman) in the Harlem Success Academy Charter School.......
Home Page | Harlem Success Academy

Stereotypes die hard….

carry on, that is all.

I'm sorry, but I don't even know what to make of your sick comment. To me, it's shocking that a LOTTERY has to be held in order for low-income kids living in putrid school districts to have a chance at a decent education.

sick comment? How so?

Well here is a moment in which I learn something new. How is this occuring? If I recall, wasn't Harlem the birth place of the civil rights movement?

my heads in a bit of a spin. I see Harlem as a place with classical buildings along side modern ones, with, seriously, nothing but black people around.

meh, to much Hollywood, maybe.

Well the cost of living and prices of real estate have sky rocketed in New York City in recent years, alot of the original blacks who lived in Harlem can't afford to live there anymore and are being replaced by whites and asians who work uptown and make more money, the slumlords have also started to renovate their apartment complexes to accomodate them, when I lived in Virginia I ran into a shitload of New Yorkers who moved to Virginia because the cost of living in New York was just too damn high, hell in my barbershop 4 out of the 5 barbers that worked there were from New Yorks, Queens and the Bronx specifically.

crazy

The crown jewel of liberalism is pricing the poor out of thier neighborhoods.

Well, in Allentown, they started having issues with NYC gangs moving in a few years ago. I assumed it was for the easy pickens [there was only one local gang], turns out it may also be b/c many had to move.

That's a shame, Harlem has tons upon tons of history. Change sure can suck some times.

Why blame it on liberalism? Can you prove that? Why must EVERYTHING take on a political stink?

Well the cost of living and prices of real estate have sky rocketed in New York City in recent years, alot of the original blacks who lived in Harlem can't afford to live there anymore and are being replaced by whites and asians who work uptown and make more money, the slumlords have also started to renovate their apartment complexes to accomodate them, when I lived in Virginia I ran into a shitload of New Yorkers who moved to Virginia because the cost of living in New York was just too damn high, hell in my barbershop 4 out of the 5 barbers that worked there were from New Yorks, Queens and the Bronx specifically.

crazy

Well, in Allentown, they started having issues with NYC gangs moving in a few years ago. I assumed it was for the easy pickens [there was only one local gang], turns out it may also be b/c many had to move.

That's a shame, Harlem has tons upon tons of history. Change sure can suck some times.

Why blame it on liberalism? Can you prove that? Why must EVERYTHING take on a political stink?

I don't know, he may have a point....black 'flight'......

crazy

The same thing happened in California too, my girlfriend is from Santa Barbara and had to leave when the cost of living basically tripled back in the 90's. Only the movers and shakers can afford to live in Cali and New York now. Some cities raise the cost of living on purpose to run out gangs and other undesirables they don't like but they just end up moving their gang somewhere else, which is the case in Allentown.

So essentially, the "haves" are creating more ghetto areas because the poor and eventually middle class will need to move somewhere they can afford.

The problem we have in Vermont are the wealthy moving to the state who are looking for second homes or places to retire where the air is clean and the views pristine off the beaten track. Unfortunately over time what happens is that they begin to demand all the better infrastructure they got used to in the city, such as sewer systems instead of wells and septic tanks, paved roads (and those roads had better be plowed pronto in winter), fancier school criteria (both the structure and the curriculum), cultural centers, etc., etc., so that taxes have to be raised to accommodate them, thereby driving out the residents who have lived there all their lives that can no longer afford to pay the higher taxes.

Two Thumbs said:
I feel that orgs that support non-whites do more harm than good, b/c they are telling the people they are helping, that they can't beat whitey at his own game.

It's insulting.

With regard to education, they usually can't.

ghettoizing or 'gentrification' are flip sides of the same coin really. white flight took place when they grew wealthy enough to move to the burbs, AND.... lets not forget that many kids, me among them then found themselves up rooted form their neighborhood schools due to the Warren court reversing separate but equal aas in Plessy vs. Ferguson and Brown vs. B of E ( hey wheres the outrage over that stare decsis getting overturned btw?) , and they stared busing kids all over town.

Last edited:

How many white kids live in Harlem?

the zip code for the HQ of the Harlem Success Acd. is 10026 and the small sliver that Maloney owns as a rep. Rangel has the rest of Harlem..demographics below-

# Total Population: 30,377
# White Population: 2,626
# Black Population: 22,612
# Hispanic Population: 6,352
# Asian Population: 583
# Hawaiian Population: 16
# Indian Population: 193
# Male Population: 14,345
# Female Population: 16,032
# Median Age: 32.0
# Median Age of Males: 30.5
# Median Age of Females: 33.4

10026 Zip Code in New York, NY - Neighborhoods, Schools, Real Estate, Demographics and Relocation Tools

and one of Rangels district zips code which is representative of his district-

# Total Population: 25,847
# White Population: 1,125
# Black Population: 21,422
# Hispanic Population: 4,304
# Asian Population: 186
# Hawaiian Population: 15
# Indian Population: 134
# Male Population: 11,798
# Female Population: 14,049
# Median Age: 32.2
# Median Age of Males: 30.2
# Median Age of Females: 33.7

10030 Zip Code in New York, NY - Neighborhoods, Schools, Real Estate, Demographics and Relocation Tools

I'm no Charlie Rangel fan, but what can a US Congressman do about state/locally run schools except voice support to better them? Should he try to earmark some federal money for Harlem schools and get slammed for that?

How many white kids live in Harlem?

the zip code for the HQ of the Harlem Success Acd. is 10026 and the small sliver that Maloney owns as a rep. Rangel has the rest of Harlem..demographics below-

# Total Population: 30,377
# White Population: 2,626
# Black Population: 22,612
# Hispanic Population: 6,352
# Asian Population: 583
# Hawaiian Population: 16
# Indian Population: 193
# Male Population: 14,345
# Female Population: 16,032
# Median Age: 32.0
# Median Age of Males: 30.5
# Median Age of Females: 33.4

10026 Zip Code in New York, NY - Neighborhoods, Schools, Real Estate, Demographics and Relocation Tools

and one of Rangels district zips code which is representative of his district-

# Total Population: 25,847
# White Population: 1,125
# Black Population: 21,422
# Hispanic Population: 4,304
# Asian Population: 186
# Hawaiian Population: 15
# Indian Population: 134
# Male Population: 11,798
# Female Population: 14,049
# Median Age: 32.2
# Median Age of Males: 30.2
# Median Age of Females: 33.7

10030 Zip Code in New York, NY - Neighborhoods, Schools, Real Estate, Demographics and Relocation Tools

I'm no Charlie Rangel fan, but what can a US Congressman do about state/locally run schools except voice support to better them? Should he try to earmark some federal money for Harlem schools and get slammed for that?

I have given you the not so subtle clue, and how is my comment sick, don't keep me on tenterhooks....:eusa_eh:

Congressional reps. are powerless to help shape their constituents educational means?

You are aware I am sure(?) that the feds kick in huge amounts of money to states for education? Obama earmarked 10 Billion of stimulus funds for schools, for teachers , rehires employment etc etc.......NYC got their share so did LA Chicago etc...

Stimulus money for education (and anything else except certain tax cuts) went to the governors to dole out as they saw fit. Title X funding for education has specific formulas combined with the requirements of NCLB. Can they "shape" the system? Sure, but they really have no control over how much is ultimately provided for individual schools in their districts.

What point are you trying to make?

The point is there's more thing to be concerned with than a sports team losing or wnning. Thee's more things to b ccerned wth than a millionaire leaving one team to play with another eam. Get my drift King James of heat?

• Thanks
Reactions: mal

Forum List

Back