Black Panther (Marvel Comics): Issue #1 [2016]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Black Panther is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character was created by writer-editor Stan Lee and writer-artist Jack Kirby, first appearing in Fantastic Four #52 (cover-dated July 1966) in the Silver Age of Comic Books. Black Panther's real name is T'Challa, king and protector of the fictional African nation of Wakanda. Along with possessing enhanced abilities achieved through ancient Wakandan rituals of drinking the essence of the heart-shaped herb, T'Challa also relies on his proficiency in science, rigorous physical training, hand-to-hand combat skills, and access to wealth and advanced Wakandan technology to combat his enemies.

Black Panther is the first superhero of African descent in mainstream American comics, having debuted years before early African American superheroes such as Marvel Comics' the Falcon (1969), Luke Cage (1972) and Blade (1973), or DC Comics' John Stewart in the role of Green Lantern (1971). In one comic book storyline, the Black Panther mantle is handled by Kasper Cole, a multiracial New York City police officer. Beginning as an impersonator, Cole would later take on the moniker of White Tiger and become an ally to T'Challa. The role of Black Panther and leadership of Wakanda is also given to T'Challa's sister Shuri for a short time.

Black Panther has made numerous appearances in various television shows, animated films and video games. The character is portrayed in live action by Chadwick Boseman in the 2016 film Captain America: Civil War, and the 2018 films Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War, set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In 2011, Black Panther was ranked 51st overall on IGN's "Top 100 Comic Books Heroes" list (source of information from top: Wikipedia).

Because of the release of the recent live-action Black Panther (Marvel Comics) adapted film starring Boseman, I thought it would be prudent to do a review of a Black Panther comic, as summer 2018 draws to a close.

Black Panther is an excellent African-American superhero, and because I'm an ethnic minority myself (Asian-American), I find ethnic minority comics characters such as Black Panther, Green Lantern John Stewart, Storm, and Kato very interesting. Kato, for those who don't know, is the Asian sidekick of the DC Comics superhero Green Hornet (also adapted into a recent film).

Black Panther is a very iconic ethnic comic book character in that he combines power with prestige and place-setting.

Black Panther Marvel Comics Issue #1 [2016] is colourful and rich.

"A new era for the Black Panther starts here! Written by MacArthur Genius and National Book Award winner TA-NEHISI COATES (Between the World and Me) and illustrated by living legend BRIAN STELFREEZE, ā€œA Nation Under Our Feetā€ is a story about dramatic upheaval in Wakanda and the Black Pantherā€™s struggle to do right by his people as their ruler. The indomitable will of Wakanda -- the famed African nation known for its vast wealth, advanced technology and warrior traditions -- has long been reflected in the will of its monarchs, the Black Panthers. But now the current Black Panther, Tā€™Challa, finds that will tested by a superhuman terrorist group called The People that has sparked a violent uprising among the citizens of Wakanda. Tā€™Challa knows the country must change to survive -- the question is, will the Black Panther survive the change?" (Synopsis: Marvel.com).

panther2.jpg

====

As you open the comic (which you can free find online/read here!), you find very rich and luscious imagery and dialogue and ethnically-rich festive storytelling and boarding.

panther3.jpg

As you may or not expect, the storytelling is nicely enhanced by rich festivity and presentation of colourful rituals and experiences inherent to Panther's ethnically-unique homeworld which makes Issue #1 [2016] a fun and other-worldly experience, especially if you're a fan of anthropology or ethnic art!

panther4.jpg

The writers and Marvel have also offered a revealing look at the creative processr behind Black Panther and the generation of ideas for Issue #1 [2016]. You get a nice 'glimpse' of why a writer would want to explore the 'world' of an ethnically-rich superhero and how the hero himself develops his overall sense of courage and 'ethnic wisdom.'

panther1.jpg

As we seem from this daring/exploratory Black Panther (Marvel Comics) issue, there is terrific juxtaposition of environment-oriented character-consciousness and private daydreams (the journey towards self-discovery). This is a nice presentation of 'art and science.'

panther2.jpg

If you're starting out with comics, I'd recommend seeing the live-action film first, and if you're completely new to ethnic-comics, I'd recommend picking up/reading Black Panther (Marvel Comics) Issue #1 [2016] to get a get a great 'glimpse' of the world of 'culture-exposure.' Hey, isn't this what America is all about...and what art can be? Anyone a fan of Richard Pryor in Superman III (Richard Lester)?

Cheers,

====

panther1.jpg

Black Panther is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character was created by writer-editor Stan Lee and writer-artist Jack Kirby, first appearing in Fantastic Four #52 (cover-dated July 1966) in the Silver Age of Comic Books. Black Panther's real name is T'Challa, king and protector of the fictional African nation of Wakanda. Along with possessing enhanced abilities achieved through ancient Wakandan rituals of drinking the essence of the heart-shaped herb, T'Challa also relies on his proficiency in science, rigorous physical training, hand-to-hand combat skills, and access to wealth and advanced Wakandan technology to combat his enemies.

Black Panther is the first superhero of African descent in mainstream American comics, having debuted years before early African American superheroes such as Marvel Comics' the Falcon (1969), Luke Cage (1972) and Blade (1973), or DC Comics' John Stewart in the role of Green Lantern (1971). In one comic book storyline, the Black Panther mantle is handled by Kasper Cole, a multiracial New York City police officer. Beginning as an impersonator, Cole would later take on the moniker of White Tiger and become an ally to T'Challa. The role of Black Panther and leadership of Wakanda is also given to T'Challa's sister Shuri for a short time.

Black Panther has made numerous appearances in various television shows, animated films and video games. The character is portrayed in live action by Chadwick Boseman in the 2016 film Captain America: Civil War, and the 2018 films Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War, set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In 2011, Black Panther was ranked 51st overall on IGN's "Top 100 Comic Books Heroes" list (source of information from top: Wikipedia).

Because of the release of the recent live-action Black Panther (Marvel Comics) adapted film starring Boseman, I thought it would be prudent to do a review of a Black Panther comic, as summer 2018 draws to a close.

Black Panther is an excellent African-American superhero, and because I'm an ethnic minority myself (Asian-American), I find ethnic minority comics characters such as Black Panther, Green Lantern John Stewart, Storm, and Kato very interesting. Kato, for those who don't know, is the Asian sidekick of the DC Comics superhero Green Hornet (also adapted into a recent film).

Black Panther is a very iconic ethnic comic book character in that he combines power with prestige and place-setting.

Black Panther Marvel Comics Issue #1 [2016] is colourful and rich.

"A new era for the Black Panther starts here! Written by MacArthur Genius and National Book Award winner TA-NEHISI COATES (Between the World and Me) and illustrated by living legend BRIAN STELFREEZE, ā€œA Nation Under Our Feetā€ is a story about dramatic upheaval in Wakanda and the Black Pantherā€™s struggle to do right by his people as their ruler. The indomitable will of Wakanda -- the famed African nation known for its vast wealth, advanced technology and warrior traditions -- has long been reflected in the will of its monarchs, the Black Panthers. But now the current Black Panther, Tā€™Challa, finds that will tested by a superhuman terrorist group called The People that has sparked a violent uprising among the citizens of Wakanda. Tā€™Challa knows the country must change to survive -- the question is, will the Black Panther survive the change?" (Synopsis: Marvel.com).

View attachment 213244

====

As you open the comic (which you can free find online/read here!), you find very rich and luscious imagery and dialogue and ethnically-rich festive storytelling and boarding.

View attachment 213260

As you may or not expect, the storytelling is nicely enhanced by rich festivity and presentation of colourful rituals and experiences inherent to Panther's ethnically-unique homeworld which makes Issue #1 [2016] a fun and other-worldly experience, especially if you're a fan of anthropology or ethnic art!

View attachment 213269

The writers and Marvel have also offered a revealing look at the creative processr behind Black Panther and the generation of ideas for Issue #1 [2016]. You get a nice 'glimpse' of why a writer would want to explore the 'world' of an ethnically-rich superhero and how the hero himself develops his overall sense of courage and 'ethnic wisdom.'

View attachment 213272

As we seem from this daring/exploratory Black Panther (Marvel Comics) issue, there is terrific juxtaposition of environment-oriented character-consciousness and private daydreams (the journey towards self-discovery). This is a nice presentation of 'art and science.'

View attachment 213273

If you're starting out with comics, I'd recommend seeing the live-action film first, and if you're completely new to ethnic-comics, I'd recommend picking up/reading Black Panther (Marvel Comics) Issue #1 [2016] to get a get a great 'glimpse' of the world of 'culture-exposure.' Hey, isn't this what America is all about...and what art can be? Anyone a fan of Richard Pryor in Superman III (Richard Lester)?

Cheers,

====

View attachment 213245
My son wanted to see the movie. I took him, about 30 minutes in he looked at me and said " this stinks, lets get out of here"! He was right.

Forum List

Back