Black Democrat supports voter ID laws!

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
Alabama Voices: Should have supported voter ID law | The Montgomery Advertiser | montgomeryadvertiser.com
I've changed my mind on voter ID laws -- I think Alabama did the right thing in passing one -- and I wish I had gotten it right when I was in political office.

When I was a congressman, I took the path of least resistance on this subject for an African American politician. Without any evidence to back it up, I lapsed into the rhetoric of various partisans and activists who contend that requiring photo identification to vote is a suppression tactic aimed at thwarting black voter participation.

Voting the names of the dead, and the nonexistent, and the too-mentally-impaired to function, cancels out the votes of citizens who are exercising their rights -- that's suppression by any light. If you doubt it exists, I don't; I've heard the peddlers of these ballots brag about it, I've been asked to provide the funds for it, and I am confident it has changed at least a few close local election results.

But demanding integrity in voting is neither racist, nor raw party politics.

I was disappointed to see Bill Clinton, a very good president and an even greater ex-president, compare voter ID to Jim Crow, and it is chilling to see the intimidation tactics brought to bear on African American, Democratic legislators in Rhode Island who had the nerve to support a voter ID law in that very liberal state.
The case for voter ID, however, is a good one, and it ought to make politics a little cleaner and the process of conducting elections much fairer. I wish I'd gotten it right the first time.

(patiently awaits cries of 'Uncle Tom' from the usual suspects).

Davis wants the reader to suppose that he is taking a courageous stand by crossing the politics of both his party and his race. In fact, he seems to be interested in being elected state-wide in Alabama: Artur Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If so, changing his past position and supporting Alabama's presumably popular voter ID law seems less politically courageous than politically opportunistic. Davis has been accused in the past of pandering to white voters as he sought the governorship in 2010, and I'm inclined to attribute this politician's change of heart to politics as much as principle. Of course, I'd never heard of Davis before and I know little about Alabama politics, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Even if Davis is sincere, it hardly changes my own views on voter ID laws. I'm far more informed by statistical studies from academic researchers than anecdotal evidence offered by politicos.

I love when repubs find a few dems that agree with their position then claim that all dems are brainwashed.

Finding a dem that agrees with repubs is easy peasy. If you really want a challenge try finding a repub that agrees with a dem. You won't, dems being in lockstep shows they are brainwashed (and it never happens) but repubs voting in lockstep means solidarity.

Isn't politics funny.?

Davis wants the reader to suppose that he is taking a courageous stand by crossing the politics of both his party and his race. In fact, he seems to be interested in being elected state-wide in Alabama: Artur Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If so, changing his past position and supporting Alabama's presumably popular voter ID law seems less politically courageous than politically opportunistic. Davis has been accused in the past of pandering to white voters as he sought the governorship in 2010, and I'm inclined to attribute this politician's change of heart to politics as much as principle. Of course, I'd never heard of Davis before and I know little about Alabama politics, so perhaps I'm missing something.

Even if Davis is sincere, it hardly changes my own views on voter ID laws. I'm far more informed by statistical studies from academic researchers than anecdotal evidence offered by politicos.

then, since all the polls shows voters are in favor of voter ID laws by a wide margin, you must concur.

I love when repubs find a few dems that agree with their position then claim that all dems are brainwashed.

Finding a dem that agrees with repubs is easy peasy. If you really want a challenge try finding a repub that agrees with a dem. You won't, dems being in lockstep shows they are brainwashed (and it never happens) but repubs voting in lockstep means solidarity.

Isn't politics funny.?

your stupidity blinds you to reality.

pity

Isn't politics funny.?

pity

When you have nothing....

Isn't politics funny.?

pity

I have a Dem who said he was wrong not to support voter ID laws.

I have the majority of voters who support voter ID laws.

I have the SCOTUS who found voter ID laws Constitutional.

You have your dick in your hand.

pity

I have a Dem who said he was wrong not to support voter ID laws.

I have the majority of voters who support voter ID laws.

I have the SCOTUS who found voter ID laws Constitutional.

You have your dick in your hand.

And like I said, finding a Dem that agrees with Republicans is easy. You can find that on every issue, so your "find" isnt anything extraordinary. Big Deal.

Find me a repub that agrees with a Dem if you want a challenge. When you cant ask yourself "Self, why do republicans vote like lemmings? And self, why do you suck so hard?"

then, since all the polls shows voters are in favor of voter ID laws by a wide margin, you must concur.

No, of course not. I was referring to studies of the effects of such laws, not their popularity. You didn't really think I meant that I formed my personal opinion on issues primarily by studying polls of other people's opinions, did you?

Democrats have their reasons for opposing voter id laws and none of them are good reasons. It's all about bussing in those Illegals and Felons and assisting people in voting multiple times. And then there's all those dead Democrats who somehow show up on Election Day to vote. Voter ID laws are simply bad for Democrats. They'll never support them. It is what it is.

Your title should be "A democrat supports voter id laws"

Color has nothing to do with a law being good or not.

The title was not mine, but the actual article title. Besides, the point is... if voter ID laws are racist, Jim Crow-ish, etc., why do black people overwhelmingly support them?

Forum List

Back