Bill O'Reilly: Christianity is a Philosophy

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Glensather, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Glensather

Glensather Gothic Vampires

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    [youtube]dlApGy4WP-8#![/youtube]

Even though I'm an atheist now, I was once a Christian, and I was raised to believe that it is a religion, not philosophical thinking. Hell, I know some Christians that would be insulted by that.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    bill Oliely is a fool

3. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Maybe so. But he can spell.

4. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    I'm an agnostic, but support Christmas as the birth of baby Jesus, whom most people of any faith, believe did exist and love to celebrate that he was an honorable man of goodwill.

Yes, I see Christianity as a philosophy just as I see Buddhism as a philosophy. However, when a person joins a specific religious affiliation, e.g., Roman Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, etc., they then belong to a religious faith and some of them try to live up the standards and beliefs of that religion.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    The terms aren't mutually exclusive. All religions are philosophies. Not all philosophies are religions.

Why he would refer to it as a philosophy rather than a religion, i don't know. Im sure he has his reasons, but the man is hardly incorrect.

6. Glensather

Glensather Gothic Vampires

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Eh... yes and no?
    Both do give guidelines for a way of living, but Religion requires a spiritual element that Philosophy doesn't.

This is like saying that you can be Christian and Muslim simultaneously; you can follow Christian philosophy but follow the Muslim Religion... and I'm pretty sure those two are mutually exclusive.

I don't know, it seems to me that he is trying to say that everyone can be Christian without believing in God... which sounds a bit hokey.

I agree with this. One thing I kept from being a Christian before I left the faith, was that Jesus Christ was a very good man.

7. The Irish Ram

The Irish Ram LITTLE GIRL / Ram Tough

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,823
    If religion requires a spiritual element, and God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit are the spiritual center gem to Christianity, then Christianity is indeed a religion. Being a good person can be a philosophy. Coming to earth to save mankind is not a philosophy, and those that believe in Christ are not being philosophical, but acting on faith.

8. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    First, your position on Christ is completely illogical. Either He is who He claimed to be, namely the Son of God and Savior of the World, or He is one of the greatest con men of all time. No room for him being a good man if He isn't who He said He was because His teachings and ministry lead people to sacrifice everything for Christianity. Do you think good men would lie to people and lead them to their deaths for a life?

Second, You analysis of what I said is completely flawed. All religions are philosophies, not all philosophies are religion. You seem to think that you've pointed out a flaw by saying "This is like saying that you can be Christian and Muslim simultaneously". But you're incorrect. There are clear contradictions between the two whether you call them philosophies or religions. Indeed, it completely mischarictorizes what I was saying when you said it's like saying you can be Christian and Muslim simultaneously. Because that's not what I said at all.

I said religion is a subset of Philosphy. Not that all religion or philosophies are the same. In fact, it's as you pointed out. Religion is generally the subset of philosophy that has a spiritual component to it.

9. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    I think O'reilly is a talk show host who is interested in ratings. Perhaps you should watch an actual reporter, journalist or real network if you want news.

10. Avatar4321

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Did anyone claim this was news?