Bill Cosby Agrees with Jimmy Carter

How many people agree with Obama, because he is a Black man? It does work both ways.

No. It really doesn't. In fact, I think they probably have a lot of cause to think he's not active enough in race issues. If you recall Jessie Jackson said he wanted to cut his _____ off. He was elected for a lot of reasons...but he was elected IN SPITE OF his color.... and probably wouldn't have been if the economy hadn't crashed and if McCain/Palin hadn't looked so clueless.

Sorry, I don't buy that. The first line of his post sets the thesis. I doubt you missed that.

i not only missed it, i disagree with it. i think he was speaking about the political climate in general with regard to obama and not just racism specifically. you're free to interpret it as you wish, of course.

What? Just playing Captain Obvious?

yeah, i was.
you got a problem with that?
I have a problem with strawmen or any logical fallacies, so yes.

But, we'll agree you want to be obvious. Who is being disingenuous?

i can only speak for myself.

How many people agree with Obama, because he is a Black man? It does work both ways.

No. It really doesn't. In fact, I think they probably have a lot of cause to think he's not active enough in race issues. If you recall Jessie Jackson said he wanted to cut his _____ off. He was elected for a lot of reasons...but he was elected IN SPITE OF his color.... and probably wouldn't have been if the economy hadn't crashed and if McCain/Palin hadn't looked so clueless.

i have to agree with meister; i think there's a percentage of people who will support obama no matter what because he's black just as there is a percentage of people who will oppose him solely because of his skin color.

i have to agree with meister; i think there's a percentage of people who will support obama no matter what because he's black just as there is a percentage of people who will oppose him solely because of his skin color.

ah...but you changed the word.... I agree that a certain percentage of people would support him because he's black...i just don't think they AGREE with him because he's black, which is what Meister said. I might be splitting hairs, but I see a difference.

Wow, I have always held Cosby's opinions pretty high; he's often spot on. Not here.

From Cosby’s Facebook page:

I agree with President Carter that racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama. During President Obama’s speech on the status of health care reform, some members of congress engaged in a public display of disrespect. While one Representative hurled the now infamous “you lie” insult at the President, others made their lack of interest known by exhibiting rude behavior such as deliberately yawning and sending text messages ….

Various polls prior to the election indicated that between five and ten percent of Americans would never vote for an African American president. That number, of course, only includes those who actually admitted to their prejudice. How many others harbored such feelings but did not respond honestly when asked the question? And how many people oppose Obama’s plan because the President is African American?

In “Birth of a Nation,” D.W. Griffith used white actors in black face to portray black legislators as having low intelligence and acting like fools. Today, we have a band of real life congressional fools seemingly bent on blocking any meaningful reform of the health care system. But if we allow even one American to die simply because he or she cannot afford treatment, we are creating a shameful scenario that could aptly be called “Death of a Nation.”

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Bill Cosby: ‘Racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama.’

I suppose Bill Cosby has a right to have a thin skin where race is concerned because of his age, though I certainly disagree. Politics is a tough business for everyone involved. What he and people like Jimmy Carter are doing is prolonging the racism debate when we should be moving on. There will always be racism as long as people continue to be reminded of it.

The percentage of black people who voted for Obama: 96%. :eusa_shhh:

I think the Obama Administration plays the race card, in an indirect or direct way, at every possible situation. The reason I think they do this is because their policies are pretty lame and not popular with reasonable thinking Americans - hence, either agree with them or be called a "racist". Furthermore, the "racist stew" is beginning to boil in this country. It's getting to be pretty old and tired and people are getting worn out hearing about it on a daily basis for just about every situtation that comes up. Best turn this heat down a bit or it might ignite a fire that will be difficult to put out. Obama's own actions prove to me that he's a racist. You don't listen to 20 years worth of Rev. Wright and belong to a church like Obama did and walk out without racial bias. Let's not kid ourselves with this issue. If Obama was not interested in hearing any more about the Joe Wilson "liar" incident and he truly wanted it to lay down and go away, especially in the way the word "racist" is being thrown around, he could have spoken up and told everybody to knock off the bullshit because Joe Wilson said he was sorry and the issue should be dead. Obama can snap his finger and have any and all of the news coverage he wants. So why doesn't he open his mouth and put an end to it all? Because, as his administration says, "Never let a good crisis go to waste."

ah...but you changed the word.... I agree that a certain percentage of people would support him because he's black...i just don't think they AGREE with him because he's black, which is what Meister said. I might be splitting hairs, but I see a difference.

i don't see a big difference in meaning, but i've been known to be obtuse.
i think we basically agree.....probably....;)

i don't see a big difference in meaning, but i've been known to be obtuse.
i think we basically agree.....probably....;)

as close as we're ever gonna get to agreement on a major issue. ;)

Wow, I have always held Cosby's opinions pretty high; he's often spot on. Not here.

From Cosby’s Facebook page:

I agree with President Carter that racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama. During President Obama’s speech on the status of health care reform, some members of congress engaged in a public display of disrespect. While one Representative hurled the now infamous “you lie” insult at the President, others made their lack of interest known by exhibiting rude behavior such as deliberately yawning and sending text messages ….

Various polls prior to the election indicated that between five and ten percent of Americans would never vote for an African American president. That number, of course, only includes those who actually admitted to their prejudice. How many others harbored such feelings but did not respond honestly when asked the question? And how many people oppose Obama’s plan because the President is African American?

In “Birth of a Nation,” D.W. Griffith used white actors in black face to portray black legislators as having low intelligence and acting like fools. Today, we have a band of real life congressional fools seemingly bent on blocking any meaningful reform of the health care system. But if we allow even one American to die simply because he or she cannot afford treatment, we are creating a shameful scenario that could aptly be called “Death of a Nation.”

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Bill Cosby: ‘Racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama.’

I though Bill had more sense, I guess I am mistaken.

I guess I do not get it with the race thing. I took a class and we had a day about diversity, everyone told each others past about diversity, I told the class that I graduated high school in an all white class, I did not know any person of color growing up, they were all shocked and called me a racist that it was my fault I did not diversify myself and seek out people of color to associate with. This was from black people in the class and white people in the class. My response was I did not see any colored people seeking me out either, so what. They proceeded to say i was raised in a commune with white supremisists, which was way off. but I also proceeded to tell the class about the seating arrangement everyone sat where they wanted to in the room, but I told them look who sat where, the black people sat all next to each other the whites all sat next to each other and the 2 hispanics sat next to each other all blocked up, I told them they segragated themselves that I did not do it they did it to themselves without knowing it, how does that make me racists. the teacher then said we needed to change the topic before it got to heated.

I have noticed a thing or two that people do not point, when I see a black person that I know walking into a room he seeks out another black person with his eyes that he does not know they stop look at each other and both raise their heads high sometimes without a word and then carry on to what ever tasks they were doing. It seems to me natural for people to seek people out of like tone or skin color. I see it all the time in every area of the United states that I have been. so we as a culture seem to go against our own natural urgings and proceed to call it racists to the group that has the majority yet find it acceptable to those that do not. Personally i judge a man by his worth not by his color. Like I said I do not get it.

As for the nation, wake up, do the best you can and get off your high horse. A black man became President, there are more rich black people in the USA then anywhere else in the world. Seems not a bad place considering other countries are 100x more racists then this country ever was. Does work need to be done? Only you can answer that for yourself. I can't apoligize for a time in history that I was never in and never could affect! Move on please.

I guess I do not get it with the race thing. I took a class and we had a day about diversity, everyone told each others past about diversity, I told the class that I graduated high school in an all white class, I did not know any person of color growing up, they were all shocked and called me a racist that it was my fault I did not diversify myself and seek out people of color to associate with. This was from black people in the class and white people in the class. My response was I did not see any colored people seeking me out either, so what. They proceeded to say i was raised in a commune with white supremisists, which was way off. but I also proceeded to tell the class about the seating arrangement everyone sat where they wanted to in the room, but I told them look who sat where, the black people sat all next to each other the whites all sat next to each other and the 2 hispanics sat next to each other all blocked up, I told them they segragated themselves that I did not do it they did it to themselves without knowing it, how does that make me racists. the teacher then said we needed to change the topic before it got to heated.

I have noticed a thing or two that people do not point, when I see a black person that I know walking into a room he seeks out another black person with his eyes that he does not know they stop look at each other and both raise their heads high sometimes without a word and then carry on to what ever tasks they were doing. It seems to me natural for people to seek people out of like tone or skin color. I see it all the time in every area of the United states that I have been. so we as a culture seem to go against our own natural urgings and proceed to call it racists to the group that has the majority yet find it acceptable to those that do not. Personally i judge a man by his worth not by his color. Like I said I do not get it.

As for the nation, wake up, do the best you can and get off your high horse. A black man became President, there are more rich black people in the USA then anywhere else in the world. Seems not a bad place considering other countries are 100x more racists then this country ever was. Does work need to be done? Only you can answer that for yourself. I can't apoligize for a time in history that I was never in and never could affect! Move on please.

could it be because they knew each other?

Last edited:

no having worked with my friend for 5 years now we go to different parts of the United states quite often enough, its not just him though I have seen it quite a bit I was using that as an example that it was natural to seek out people of like skin tone I have seen it all the time on every occasion it is the same no matter who I am with or where I go.

no having worked with my friend for 5 years now we go to different parts of the United states quite often enough, its not just him though I have seen it quite a bit I was using that as an example that it was natural to seek out people of like skin tone I have seen it all the time on every occasion it is the same no matter who I am with or where I go.

I'm not sure if you can base a theory only off of one's personal anecdotes. I would guess that sometimes people do seek out their "own" maybe because of the fear of rejection from someone of another race.

I'm young and I live in Southern California, so amongst my peers it's almost not even an issue. I think it's generational.

Yeah Bill, no President has ever had to endure criticism or dissent.

It is a black thang.

Just like the Jello pudding.

I guess I do not get it with the race thing. I took a class and we had a day about diversity, everyone told each others past about diversity, I told the class that I graduated high school in an all white class, I did not know any person of color growing up, they were all shocked

I feel sorry for you. Nothing you could do about it though. In fact, most of the country is relegated into pockets of whiteness, most of the middle. And where there are high concentrations of different races and ethnicities, they tend to be clannish.

Forum List

Back