Bill Cosby Agrees with Jimmy Carter

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Zoom-boing, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    Wow, I have always held Cosby's opinions pretty high; he's often spot on. Not here.

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Bill Cosby: ‘Racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama.’

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,729
    It's never going to end. Just roll your eyes and nod your head.

3. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    i think he nailed it. there's a certain percentage of people that won't accept a balck president. he isn't saying, IMO, that everyone who opposes obama and his plans is a racist, which is good, because i oppose a lot of his plans. to deny that some are motivated by racism is disingenuous.

he's also right about the members of congress who acted like truculent children during obama's speech. i don't care if you agree with their positions or not, acting like asshats does nothing to help fix the problems our country faces.

/soapbox

• Thank You! Thank You! x 6
  4. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    And acting like an asshat (in the manner here) is not racist. The implication is strong in Cosby's comment that it is and that's bullshit. And, I do not know a single person in the opposition who has denied that there is some racism against BHO, yet the left keep bringing up this strawman.

5. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    i agree that acting the asshat is not equivalent to being a racist, but i disagree that cosby implies that it is. one man's implication is another man's inference, i guess.

as to the strawmen, they'll always be with us; it'd be nice if we could move beyond it, but i don't see it happening anytime soon.

6. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,123
    I don't disagree at all that there are those that are against Obama's policies because he is black, as there are those who are for them because he is black. It works both ways. But I completely disagree that this can be seen as racist: "I agree with President Carter that racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama. During President Obama’s speech on the status of health care reform, some members of congress engaged in a public display of disrespect. While one Representative hurled the now infamous “you lie” insult at the President, others made their lack of interest known by exhibiting rude behavior such as deliberately yawning and sending text messages …."

Rude? Yup. Out of line? Ok. Broke the rules? Yes. But . . . . racist??? Nope. S-t-r-e-t-c-h.

"And how many people oppose Obama’s plan because the President is African American?" How many don't?

"Today, we have a band of real life congressional fools seemingly bent on blocking any meaningful reform of the health care system.": Bullshit, and he knows it.

7. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I suppose. One must then ask, if we are to assume there is no such implication, why bring the asshat actions up when discussing racism? Hmmmm.

The strawman is objecting to a denial of racism by the opposition which the opposition has not and does not deny. That is a textbook strawman, which you repeated.

8. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Alinsky's rules, I suppose. Say that the opposition denies there is racism often enough, and everyone actually believes it is true.

I wish all would become a bit more aware of Alinsky's rules and typical propaganda techniques. If they do, then then aren't playing the unwitting tools.

9. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    i didn't realize that he was limiting himself to speaking only on racism.

i'd be appreciative if you'd point out where i "objected to the denial of racism by the opposition" to which you refer.

10. pete

pete The food stamp president

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +232
    No suprise there ...
    The shit stain is grasping at straws