Bill Cosby Agrees with Jimmy Carter

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
Wow, I have always held Cosby's opinions pretty high; he's often spot on. Not here.

From Cosby’s Facebook page:

I agree with President Carter that racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama. During President Obama’s speech on the status of health care reform, some members of congress engaged in a public display of disrespect. While one Representative hurled the now infamous “you lie” insult at the President, others made their lack of interest known by exhibiting rude behavior such as deliberately yawning and sending text messages ….

Various polls prior to the election indicated that between five and ten percent of Americans would never vote for an African American president. That number, of course, only includes those who actually admitted to their prejudice. How many others harbored such feelings but did not respond honestly when asked the question? And how many people oppose Obama’s plan because the President is African American?

In “Birth of a Nation,” D.W. Griffith used white actors in black face to portray black legislators as having low intelligence and acting like fools. Today, we have a band of real life congressional fools seemingly bent on blocking any meaningful reform of the health care system. But if we allow even one American to die simply because he or she cannot afford treatment, we are creating a shameful scenario that could aptly be called “Death of a Nation.”

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Bill Cosby: ‘Racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama.’

i think he nailed it. there's a certain percentage of people that won't accept a balck president. he isn't saying, IMO, that everyone who opposes obama and his plans is a racist, which is good, because i oppose a lot of his plans. to deny that some are motivated by racism is disingenuous.

he's also right about the members of congress who acted like truculent children during obama's speech. i don't care if you agree with their positions or not, acting like asshats does nothing to help fix the problems our country faces.

/soapbox

i think he nailed it. there's a certain percentage of people that won't accept a balck president. he isn't saying, IMO, that everyone who opposes obama and his plans is a racist, which is good, because i oppose a lot of his plans. to deny that some are motivated by racism is disingenuous.

he's also right about the members of congress who acted like truculent children during obama's speech. i don't care if you agree with their positions or not, acting like asshats does nothing to help fix the problems our country faces.

/soapbox
And acting like an asshat (in the manner here) is not racist. The implication is strong in Cosby's comment that it is and that's bullshit. And, I do not know a single person in the opposition who has denied that there is some racism against BHO, yet the left keep bringing up this strawman.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

/soapbox
And acting like an asshat (in the manner here) is not racist. The implication is strong in Cosby's comment that it is and that's bullshit. And, I do not know a single person in the opposition who has denied that there is some racism against BHO, yet the left keep bringing up this strawman.

i agree that acting the asshat is not equivalent to being a racist, but i disagree that cosby implies that it is. one man's implication is another man's inference, i guess.

as to the strawmen, they'll always be with us; it'd be nice if we could move beyond it, but i don't see it happening anytime soon.

/soapbox

I don't disagree at all that there are those that are against Obama's policies because he is black, as there are those who are for them because he is black. It works both ways. But I completely disagree that this can be seen as racist: "I agree with President Carter that racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama. During President Obama’s speech on the status of health care reform, some members of congress engaged in a public display of disrespect. While one Representative hurled the now infamous “you lie” insult at the President, others made their lack of interest known by exhibiting rude behavior such as deliberately yawning and sending text messages …."

Rude? Yup. Out of line? Ok. Broke the rules? Yes. But . . . . racist??? Nope. S-t-r-e-t-c-h.

"And how many people oppose Obama’s plan because the President is African American?" How many don't?

"Today, we have a band of real life congressional fools seemingly bent on blocking any meaningful reform of the health care system.": Bullshit, and he knows it.

/soapbox

i agree that acting the asshat is not equivalent to being a racist, but i disagree that cosby implies that it is. one man's implication is another man's inference, i guess. ....
I suppose. One must then ask, if we are to assume there is no such implication, why bring the asshat actions up when discussing racism? Hmmmm.

.... as to the strawmen, they'll always be with us; it'd be nice if we could move beyond it, but i don't see it happening anytime soon.
The strawman is objecting to a denial of racism by the opposition which the opposition has not and does not deny. That is a textbook strawman, which you repeated.

Alinsky's rules, I suppose. Say that the opposition denies there is racism often enough, and everyone actually believes it is true.

I wish all would become a bit more aware of Alinsky's rules and typical propaganda techniques. If they do, then then aren't playing the unwitting tools.

i agree that acting the asshat is not equivalent to being a racist, but i disagree that cosby implies that it is. one man's implication is another man's inference, i guess. ....
I suppose. One must then ask, if we are to assume there is no such implication, why bring the asshat actions up when discussing racism? Hmmmm.

.... as to the strawmen, they'll always be with us; it'd be nice if we could move beyond it, but i don't see it happening anytime soon.
The strawman is objecting to a denial of racism by the opposition which the opposition has not and does not deny. That is a textbook strawman, which you repeated.

i didn't realize that he was limiting himself to speaking only on racism.

i'd be appreciative if you'd point out where i "objected to the denial of racism by the opposition" to which you refer.

No suprise there ...
The shit stain is grasping at straws

i didn't realize that he was limiting himself to speaking only on racism. ...
Sorry, I don't buy that. The first line of his post sets the thesis. I doubt you missed that.

.... i'd be appreciative if you'd point out where i "objected to the denial of racism by the opposition" to which you refer.

.... to deny that some are motivated by racism is disingenuous.
What? Just playing Captain Obvious?

Sorry, I don't buy that. The first line of his post sets the thesis. I doubt you missed that.

i not only missed it, i disagree with it. i think he was speaking about the political climate in general with regard to obama and not just racism specifically. you're free to interpret it as you wish, of course.

.... i'd be appreciative if you'd point out where i "objected to the denial of racism by the opposition" to which you refer.

What? Just playing Captain Obvious?[/QUOTE]

yeah, i was.
you got a problem with that?

Bravo for Bill, and Bravo for Jimmy, it is about time someone had the moxie to speak the truth.

"But few Americans of either race -- about one out of eight -- consider themselves racist."

"Contemporary racism is not conscious, and it is not accompanied by dislike, so it gets expressed in indirect, subtle ways," he said.

That "stealth" discrimination reveals itself in many different situations."

Poll: Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others - CNN.com

i not only missed it, i disagree with it. i think he was speaking about the political climate in general with regard to obama and not just racism specifically. you're free to interpret it as you wish, of course.

What? Just playing Captain Obvious?

yeah, i was.
you got a problem with that?
I have a problem with strawmen or any logical fallacies, so yes.

But, we'll agree you want to be obvious. Who is being disingenuous?

Bravo for Bill, and Bravo for Jimmy, it is about time someone had the moxie to speak the truth.

"But few Americans of either race -- about one out of eight -- consider themselves racist."

"Contemporary racism is not conscious, and it is not accompanied by dislike, so it gets expressed in indirect, subtle ways," he said.

The only racism I have noticed has come from this administration. A 20 year membership into a racist--separtist church. The obvious blunder--in support of a radical black professor--while lashing out at the Cambridge police department--& the most recent act of racisim--the appointment of the "green" czar Van Jones--a white hating--self proclaimed communist.

Nope--Joe Wilson for just loosing it--over the health care bill--when he knew Obama was lying over illegal immigrant health coverage DOES NOT constitute racism. It does specify disagreement with policy.

I also think this is why the main stream media in this country--give such favorable opinions & coverage of Obama. CNN--MSNBC--ABC--NBC--& CBS--are scared to death that if they actually point out the facts of this administration --THEY too will be labeled RACISTS--:cuckoo:

Simply put--if you disagree with "any" policies of Barack Obama--more than likely you will be called a racist.

$Earmarks-Signing-Statement.jpg

Last edited:

So then even you are racist once you have a differing opinion?

/soapbox

just to make sure that gets read again....

• Thanks
Reactions: del

/soapbox

just to make sure that gets read again....
Then I'll ask you: Who is being disingenuous by denying that some are motivated by racism?

/soapbox

I don't disagree at all that there are those that are against Obama's policies because he is black, as there are those who are for them because he is black. It works both ways. But I completely disagree that this can be seen as racist: "I agree with President Carter that racism is playing a role in recent outbursts against President Obama. During President Obama’s speech on the status of health care reform, some members of congress engaged in a public display of disrespect. While one Representative hurled the now infamous “you lie” insult at the President, others made their lack of interest known by exhibiting rude behavior such as deliberately yawning and sending text messages …."

Rude? Yup. Out of line? Ok. Broke the rules? Yes. But . . . . racist??? Nope. S-t-r-e-t-c-h.

"And how many people oppose Obama’s plan because the President is African American?" How many don't?

"Today, we have a band of real life congressional fools seemingly bent on blocking any meaningful reform of the health care system.": Bullshit, and he knows it.

How many people agree with Obama, because he is a Black man? It does work both ways.

Forum List

Back