Bill Bennett: Want To Lower The Crime Rate? Abort All African-American Babies

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Oh my......

------

Addressing a caller's suggestion that the "lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30 years" would be enough to preserve Social Security's solvency, radio host and former Reagan administration Secretary of Education Bill Bennett dismissed such "far-reaching, extensive extrapolations" by declaring that if "you wanted to reduce crime ... if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down." Bennett conceded that aborting all African-American
babies "would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do," then added again, "but the crime rate would go down."

Bennett's remark was apparently inspired by the claim that legalized abortion has reduced crime rates, which was posited in the book Freakonomics (William Morrow, May 2005) by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. But Levitt and Dubner argued that aborted fetuses would have been more likely to grow up poor and in single-parent or teenage-parent households and therefore more likely to commit crimes; they did not put forth Bennett's race-based argument.

From the September 28 broadcast of Salem Radio Network's Bill Bennett's Morning in America:

CALLER: I noticed the national media, you know, they talk a lot about the loss of revenue, or the inability of the government to fund Social Security, and I was curious, and I've read articles in recent months here, that the abortions that have happened since Roe v. Wade, the lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30-something years, could fund Social Security as we know it today. And the media just doesn't -- never touches this at all.

BENNETT: Assuming they're all productive citizens?

CALLER: Assuming that they are. Even if only a portion of them were, it would be an enormous amount of revenue.

BENNETT: Maybe, maybe, but we don't know what the costs would be, too. I think as -- abortion disproportionately occur among single women? No.

CALLER: I don't know the exact statistics, but quite a bit are, yeah.

BENNETT: All right, well, I mean, I just don't know. I would not argue for the pro-life position based on this, because you don't know. I mean, it cuts both -- you know, one of the arguments in this book Freakonomics that they make is that the declining crime rate, you know, they deal with this hypothesis, that one of the reasons crime is down is that abortion is up. Well --

CALLER: Well, I don't think that statistic is accurate.

BENNETT: Well, I don't think it is either, I don't think it is either, because first of all, there is just too much that you don't know. But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200509280006

I don't think he intended that any action be taken and was quite clear in pointing out how bad of an idea it is. He was just stating the truth. Risky thing to do these days.

NATO AIR said:
My exact thought... cue the arrival of Jesse and Al on the scene...

Actually, as much as I hate to admit it.. I laughed my ass off... :eek:

Shattered said:
Actually, as much as I hate to admit it.. I laughed my ass off... :eek:

As they say....great mind think alike. I did the same thing..thought it was a parody of something..or a "satire" news story. Laughed all the way to work.

Then I looked it up....egads...

"That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. "

If he just would have left out everything after the word "do" - he might have been ok.

GotZoom said:
As they say....great mind think alike. I did the same thing..thought it was a parody of something..or a "satire" news story. Laughed all the way to work.

Then I looked it up....egads...

"That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. "

If he just would have left out everything after the word "do" - he might have been ok.

Right.. It sounds like it's straight out of The Onion.

Maybe I've had too much caffeine already, and my day is just starting...but I reread it, and still laughed. :huh:

Shattered said:
Right.. It sounds like it's straight out of The Onion.

Maybe I've had too much caffeine already, and my day is just starting...but I reread it, and still laughed. :huh:

Shhh...I won't tell....but satire or not...it is funny.

"you wanted to reduce crime ... if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down." Bennett conceded that aborting all African-American
babies "would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do,"
I hear this is being reported with the part in red left out.
Anyone know if that's the case? I don't think it would be a surprise.

Mr. P said:
I hear this is being reported with the part in red left out.
Anyone know if that's the case? I don't think it would be a surprise.

I have heard that reported also..but what is killing him is when he admits that it would work...as reprehensible as it is, he still says it would work.

GotZoom said:
I have heard that reported also..but what is killing him is when he admits that it would work...as reprehensible as it is, he still says it would work.
Well, looking at the population of prisons from a racial point of view, and then comparing it to the overall population break down by race in the Country, I'd say he's correct. :eek2:

But it wasn't a wise thing to say.

A very crude way of putting it, however it is undeniable that criminality is accepted, even celebrated, in black popular culture.

theim said:
A very crude way of putting it, however it is undeniable that criminality is accepted, even celebrated, in black popular culture.

Crime is celebrated in all culture. What's your basis for it being celebrated, or even accepted, in black culture more than others?

The ClayTaurus said:
Crime is celebrated in all culture. What's your basis for it being celebrated, or even accepted, in black culture more than others?

Two words.

Rap music.

Mr. P said:
Well, looking at the population of prisons from a racial point of view, and then comparing it to the overall population break down by race in the Country, I'd say he's correct. :eek2:

But it wasn't a wise thing to say.

Looking at the population of prisons, the failing war on drugs accounts for the huge increase in blacks in the prison system. Aborting blacks isn't the solution. Treating drugs as a public health issue before a criminal issue, instead of purely as a criminal issue, is.

Most people behind bars for drug-related offenses are non-violent, recreational users or sellers.

I think jail time is too harsh a sentence for this type of thing.

The ClayTaurus said:
Looking at the population of prisons, the failing war on drugs accounts for the huge increase in blacks in the prison system. Aborting blacks isn't the solution. Treating drugs as a public health issue before a criminal issue, instead of purely as a criminal issue, is.
BULLSHIT!!
Let's push Murder, theft, assalt under the table while we're at it.

Try Education, which is rejected by many in the black community, don't wanna be like Whitey ya know.

And I know aborting blacks isn't the answer. And the war on drugs is not failing, since day one, it has been a failure. Geeeeeeezzzzzz..

Mr. P said:
BULLSHIT!!
Let's push Murder, theft, assalt under the table while we're at it.

Try Education, which is rejected by many in the black community, don't wanna be like Whitey ya know.

And I know aborting blacks isn't the answer. And the war on drugs is not failing, since day one, it has been a failure. Geeeeeeezzzzzz..

That's not what I was suggesting. What I'm suggesting is that the drug problem is the root for a lot of crime in the black community, but instead of treat drugs as a public health issue and educate, they are treated as a criminal issue.

I'm not sure your last sentence makes sense... the war on drugs isn't failing because it's always...been....failing?

Forum List

Back