Bigots Are Teaching Our Kids To Hate

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
"I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University" - William F. Buckley

This has been going on for a long time. College professors that teach bigotry to their students. If you've been wondering why Harvard students demanded that exams be postponed because so many of them claimed they were suffering from PTSD after the Ferguson decision became public, this professor is a good example why:

GOP: Time for bigoted prof who thinks it’s ‘OK to hate Republicans’ to find a new line of work
December 20, 2014 by Wayne Dupree

And she runs the communications department?

A University of Michigan professor, sparked a backlash among colleagues and GOP officials after writing a column titled “It’s Okay To Hate Republicans,” including a demand by the state Republican party chairman that she resign from her taxpayer-funded job.

University of Michigan Professor Susan Douglass

“I can’t stand the thought of having to spend the next two years watching Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Ted Cruz, Darrell Issa or any of the legions of other blowhards denying climate change, thwarting immigration reform or championing fetal ‘personhood,” wrote Susan J. Douglas, professor and chairwoman of communications studies.

Her column goes on to mention “an escalation of determined vilification” and how “dogmatism, rigidity and intolerance of ambiguity” could influence thinking.

Andrea Fischer Newman, a member of the UM Board of Regents was not pleased.

“As a Republican and a Member of the Board of Regents, I find Professor Douglas’s column extremely troubling and offensive,” she wrote on her Facebook page. “The University of Michigan community rightly supports and defends a wide variety of viewpoints and a diversity of opinion on all subjects. But this particular column, which expresses and condones hatred toward an entire segment of individuals in our society based solely on their political views, fails to observe an equally important value of our University — respect for the right of others to hold views contrary to our own. Professor Douglas’s column ill-serves the most basic values of a University community.”

Michigan Republican Party Chairman Bobby Schostak said it’s time Douglas just gets out of that community. She might not realize it, but a lot of those Republicans she hates are Michigan taxpayers who are paying her salary.

“The piece by Professor Susan J. Douglas is ugly and full of hatred, and it should not be tolerated by the University of Michigan,” Schostak told the Detroit Free Press. “… It’s inexcusable for any instructor to isolate students because of their political ideology, especially if they do not fall in line with his or her own. Not only does she further perpetuate the political discord in our nation today, but she’s completely out-of-touch and focusing on a life of politics she apparently left decades ago. …”

GOP Time for bigoted prof who thinks it 8217 s 8216 OK to hate Republicans 8217 to find a new line of work - BizPac Review

"I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University" - William F. Buckley

This has been going on for a long time. College professors that teach bigotry to their students. If you've been wondering why Harvard students demanded that exams be postponed because so many of them claimed they were suffering from PTSD after the Ferguson decision became public, this professor is a good example why:

GOP: Time for bigoted prof who thinks it’s ‘OK to hate Republicans’ to find a new line of work

A University of Michigan professor, sparked a backlash among colleagues and GOP officials after writing a column titled “It’s Okay To Hate Republicans,” including a demand by the state Republican party chairman that she resign from her taxpayer-funded job.

“I can’t stand the thought of having to spend the next two years watching Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Ted Cruz, Darrell Issa or any of the legions of other blowhards denying climate change, thwarting immigration reform or championing fetal ‘personhood,” wrote Susan J. Douglas, professor and chairwoman of communications studies.

Her column goes on to mention “an escalation of determined vilification” and how “dogmatism, rigidity and intolerance of ambiguity” could influence thinking.

“As a Republican and a Member of the Board of Regents, I find Professor Douglas’s column extremely troubling and offensive,” she wrote on her Facebook page. “The University of Michigan community rightly supports and defends a wide variety of viewpoints and a diversity of opinion on all subjects. But this particular column, which expresses and condones hatred toward an entire segment of individuals in our society based solely on their political views, fails to observe an equally important value of our University — respect for the right of others to hold views contrary to our own. Professor Douglas’s column ill-serves the most basic values of a University community.”

Michigan Republican Party Chairman Bobby Schostak said it’s time Douglas just gets out of that community. She might not realize it, but a lot of those Republicans she hates are Michigan taxpayers who are paying her salary.

“The piece by Professor Susan J. Douglas is ugly and full of hatred, and it should not be tolerated by the University of Michigan,” Schostak told the Detroit Free Press. “… It’s inexcusable for any instructor to isolate students because of their political ideology, especially if they do not fall in line with his or her own. Not only does she further perpetuate the political discord in our nation today, but she’s completely out-of-touch and focusing on a life of politics she apparently left decades ago. …”

GOP Time for bigoted prof who thinks it 8217 s 8216 OK to hate Republicans 8217 to find a new line of work - BizPac Review

The pity is that people today feel they must verbalized every petty thought in there head, then get upset when their stupidity is challenged.

This individual could seriously use a good set of balls. (Yeah I know it's a female) just sayin

She's free to express her opinion. That's what we have a First Amendment for. Now, if she's teaching that kind of stuff to her students that's a different story and maybe she should lose her job, but I didn't see anywhere in there that was the case. Additionally, if the university feels that her actions are hurting their reputation and possibly affect student enrollment they could also justify terminating her employment as she is a representative of them as well.

I agree Taz...as long as she isn't teaching it to her students.....but it has to bleed through...don't you think....not that she should be fired for that....

But just imagine.......if she had said that about a minority group....there would be no debate, there would be no discussion...she wouldn't be able to find a job at any university...her career would be over....

Professors have been teaching this to students since the 60s.

It's only getting worse. They're simply becoming more emboldened and vocal about it. It's essentially government sponsored bigotry. Those who defend it are going to say we can't prove anything. Students have been witnessing it and recording it on their cells for years. Nothing changes. Our president is a byproduct of this sort of bigotry.

Those who defend it are going to say we can't prove anything. Students have been witnessing it and recording it on their cells for years.

When a professor is caught doing it...they need to be fired.....they are violating their jobs and unless they work at a private school they should be kicked out....

November 25, 2014
Marquette University's Anti-philosophical Philosophy Instructor
By Arnold Cusmariu

As a former academic, headlines describing what appear to be questionable policies or practices in institutions of higher learning usually get my attention. When the fine print implicates a philosophy department, a subject I used to teach, I take a close look.

Now, suppose you are an undergraduate at a large, private Catholic university that is one of the 28 member institutions of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities. You decide to enroll in a course given by the philosophy department that will explore the intersection between ethical theories and contemporary controversies -- a course of the sort I also taught years ago. The course is an elective.

On the first day of class, you see on the board a list of moral issues potentially up for discussion: gay rights, gun rights, and capital punishment. Let me stop here for a moment and comment that, in my view, the first of these three topics is philosophically “thinner” than the other two. The morality of sexual practices among consenting adults and of same-sex marriage, though hot-button issues, are less “serious” than the morality of capital punishment and of owning (or using) a firearm for the purpose of defending oneself or one’s family. Why? For one thing, the latter two are more serious because they are matters of life and death. The really tough problems besides the moral permissibility of executing murderers and of killing in self defense are abortion and euthanasia, also matters of life and death. I doubt that Kant and J.S. Mill, the two major moral theorists in philosophy, would have put gay rights at the top of the list of moral issues.

To continue: The instructor goes to the board and promptly erases “gay rights.” Does she do that because she thinks this issue is morally less serious than the other two? Well, not exactly. As reported here, the instructor erases “gay rights” from the blackboard because, and I quote, “we all agree on this.” Agree on what?

According to the cited report, the following conversation ensued –

again, I quote:

STUDENT: “Are you saying if I don’t agree with gays not being allowed to get married that I’m homophobic?”

INSTRUCTOR: “I’m saying it would come off as a homophobic comment in this class.”

STUDENT: “Regardless of why I’m against gay marriage, it’s still wrong for the teacher of a class to completely discredit one person’s opinion when they may have different opinions.”

INSTRUCTOR: “There are some opinions that are not appropriate -- that are harmful -- such as racist opinions, sexist opinions. And quite honestly, do you know if anyone in the class is homosexual? Do you not think that would be offensive to them if you were to raise your hand and challenge this?”

STUDENT: “[I have a right to challenge that] -- that’s my right as an American citizen.”

INSTRUCTOR: “Actually, you don’t have a right in this class especially [in an ethics class] to make homophobic comments.”

STUDENT: “[My comments were not homophobic.] This is about restricting rights and liberties of individuals. Because they’re homosexual, I can’t have my opinions?”

INSTRUCTOR: “You can have whatever opinions you want but I will tell you right now -- in this class homophobic comments, racist comments, sexist comments will not be tolerated. If you don’t like it, you are more than free to drop this class.”

At this point, the student drops the class.

Articles Marquette University s Anti-philosophical Philosophy Instructor

December 20, 2014
Circling the wagons with a vengeance at Marquette University
By Arnold Cusmariu

In an American Thinker article last month, I drew attention to a philosophy instructor at Marquette University who had imposed a moratorium on class discussion of issues such as same-sex marriage, gun rights, and capital punishment on grounds that “we all agree on this.” When a student objected that he had a right to express dissenting views on the first of these issues, the instructor told him, “If you don’t like it, you are more than free to drop this class.” I urged the philosophy department head, Dr. Nancy Snow, to dismiss the instructor for unprofessional behavior and later sent her a link to the article by e-mail.

Reading the headlines Thursday morning, I learned that Marquette University had indeed taken disciplinary action – no, not against the dictatorial philosophy instructor, Cheryl Abbate, but rather, against a tenured political science professor, Dr. John McAdams, for defending the student who objected to Abbate’s classroom prohibition. In his university blog, McAdams had written, “Like the rest of academia, Marquette is less and less a real university. And when gay marriage cannot be discussed, certainly not a Catholic university.”

Earlier this week, the university informed McAdams that he was under investigation, suspended, and banned from campus. In a letter, Marquette University Dean Richard Holz wrote: “You are relieved of all teaching duties and all other faculty activities. You are to remain off campus during this time.”

There was no explanation as to why McAdams was under investigation or why he was suspended, but the professor thinks Abbate accused him of harassment because of his blog post. This appeared to be confirmed by a statement the university released to the media:

As stated in our harassment policy, the university will not tolerate personal attacks or harassment of or by students, faculty and staff. To be clear, we will take action to address those concerns. We deplore hatred and abuse directed at a member of our community in any format.

Blog Circling the wagons with a vengeance at Marquette University

As the last two articles point out ... these people are in charge in our schools and are brainwashing our kids.
There is no recourse when voicing a complaint inside of the halls of higher learning. Only legal action can possibly remedy this.

These nutty professors need to concentrate on the subject at hand rather than trying to brainwash their students. You would think that a professor would be smart and intelligent. Not necessarily the case I guess. :dunno:

November 25, 2014
Marquette University's Anti-philosophical Philosophy Instructor
By Arnold Cusmariu

As a former academic, headlines describing what appear to be questionable policies or practices in institutions of higher learning usually get my attention. When the fine print implicates a philosophy department, a subject I used to teach, I take a close look.

Now, suppose you are an undergraduate at a large, private Catholic university that is one of the 28 member institutions of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities. You decide to enroll in a course given by the philosophy department that will explore the intersection between ethical theories and contemporary controversies -- a course of the sort I also taught years ago. The course is an elective.

On the first day of class, you see on the board a list of moral issues potentially up for discussion: gay rights, gun rights, and capital punishment. Let me stop here for a moment and comment that, in my view, the first of these three topics is philosophically “thinner” than the other two. The morality of sexual practices among consenting adults and of same-sex marriage, though hot-button issues, are less “serious” than the morality of capital punishment and of owning (or using) a firearm for the purpose of defending oneself or one’s family. Why? For one thing, the latter two are more serious because they are matters of life and death. The really tough problems besides the moral permissibility of executing murderers and of killing in self defense are abortion and euthanasia, also matters of life and death. I doubt that Kant and J.S. Mill, the two major moral theorists in philosophy, would have put gay rights at the top of the list of moral issues.

To continue: The instructor goes to the board and promptly erases “gay rights.” Does she do that because she thinks this issue is morally less serious than the other two? Well, not exactly. As reported here, the instructor erases “gay rights” from the blackboard because, and I quote, “we all agree on this.” Agree on what?

According to the cited report, the following conversation ensued –

again, I quote:

STUDENT: “Are you saying if I don’t agree with gays not being allowed to get married that I’m homophobic?”

INSTRUCTOR: “I’m saying it would come off as a homophobic comment in this class.”

STUDENT: “Regardless of why I’m against gay marriage, it’s still wrong for the teacher of a class to completely discredit one person’s opinion when they may have different opinions.”

INSTRUCTOR: “There are some opinions that are not appropriate -- that are harmful -- such as racist opinions, sexist opinions. And quite honestly, do you know if anyone in the class is homosexual? Do you not think that would be offensive to them if you were to raise your hand and challenge this?”

STUDENT: “[I have a right to challenge that] -- that’s my right as an American citizen.”

INSTRUCTOR: “Actually, you don’t have a right in this class especially [in an ethics class] to make homophobic comments.”

STUDENT: “[My comments were not homophobic.] This is about restricting rights and liberties of individuals. Because they’re homosexual, I can’t have my opinions?”

INSTRUCTOR: “You can have whatever opinions you want but I will tell you right now -- in this class homophobic comments, racist comments, sexist comments will not be tolerated. If you don’t like it, you are more than free to drop this class.”

At this point, the student drops the class.

Articles Marquette University s Anti-philosophical Philosophy Instructor

And out they should go.....I hope they enjoy working the McDonald's drive thru.....

the strangle hold the democrats/libs hold on education, the press, and entertainment really needs to be dealt with....and I am not for censorship....professors like the one in post 14 need to be fired only because they aren't doing their job....more conservatives need to go into journalism...and more conservatives need to make good, movies that appreciate the values and the culture that made this the most powerful and just country on the planet.....

Those who defend it are going to say we can't prove anything. Students have been witnessing it and recording it on their cells for years.

When a professor is caught doing it...they need to be fired.....they are violating their jobs and unless they work at a private school they should be kicked out....

That's not what you would say if she was pushing a god-based agenda.

I find it curious that republicans and other right wing conservatives find another's speech intolerable, but never say anything about republican speech. Booing a gay soldier, laughing over death panels, tea party racist signs, right wing talk radio's degradation of women and women's rights is OK, but have a women express her opinion and feelings about a party that opposes all change, all progress, all help for another, and all of a sudden free speech is not free speech. Can they even spell hypocrite for surely they are history's finest example of phony patriotism and they sure cry a lot too.

Whenever conservative republicans mention freedom think of those ten hand, the puppet show.

The Regressive Antidote - If Conservatism Is The Ideology of Freedom I m The Queen of England

I find it curious that republicans and other right wing conservatives find another's speech intolerable, but never say anything about republican speech. Booing a gay soldier, laughing over death panels, tea party racist signs, right wing talk radio's degradation of women and women's rights is OK, but have a women express her opinion and feelings about a party that opposes all change, all progress, all help for another, and all of a sudden free speech is not free speech. Can they even spell hypocrite for surely they are history's finest example of phony patriotism and they sure cry a lot too.

Whenever conservative republicans mention freedom think of those ten hand, the puppet show.

The Regressive Antidote - If Conservatism Is The Ideology of Freedom I m The Queen of England

They might be the Queen of idiot but certainly not the queen of England. Are all left/liberals/dems always so nasty when they write things?

the strangle hold the democrats/libs hold on education, the press, and entertainment really needs to be dealt with....and I am not for censorship....professors like the one in post 14 need to be fired only because they aren't doing their job....more conservatives need to go into journalism...and more conservatives need to make good, movies that appreciate the values and the culture that made this the most powerful and just country on the planet.....

You really don't know why most journalists appear to lean center left, do you?

The pity is that people today feel they must verbalized every petty thought in there head, then get upset when their stupidity is challenged.

This individual could seriously use a good set of balls. (Yeah I know it's a female) just sayin
Talking to yourself in your head is often the only sure way to have an intelligent conversation, and it allows you to filter out bad ideas before they come out of your mouth.

If she kept it to herself or wrote a book and kept it between her readers, she wouldn't run the risk of losing her job.

But instead she created an article which trolled right wingers, and she failed to realize professionally that what she wrote was trolling.

Forum List

Back