Big name CEOs: Cut spending AND raise taxes

Inthemiddle

Rookie
Oct 4, 2011
CEOs Call for Deficit Action - WSJ.com

Chief executives of more than 80 big-name U.S. corporations, from Aetna Inc. AET +1.09%to Weyerhaeuser Co., WY -0.94%are banding together to pressure Congress to reduce the federal deficit with tax-revenue increases as well as spending cuts.

The CEOs who signed the manifesto deem tax increases inevitable no matter which party succeeds at the polls in November. "There is no possible way; you can do the arithmetic a million different ways" to avoid raising taxes, said Mark Bertolini, CEO of Aetna. "You can't tax your way to fix this problem, and you can't cut entitlements enough to fix this problem."

You are now free to spin the yarn.

They said to raise taxes by lowering the rate, cutting write offs thereby broading the base which would increase the revenue brought in.

That IS Romney's plan.

• Banned
They said to raise taxes by lowering the rate, cutting write offs thereby broading the base which would increase the revenue brought in.

That IS Romney's plan.

Yeah, that's ROMNEY'S plan. But that's not what the CEOs said. They said nothing of the sort.

That IS Romney's plan.

Yeah, that's ROMNEY'S plan. But that's not what the CEOs said. They said nothing of the sort.

so what did they say, I'm too lazy to sign up to view it......and looking at you OP they said you couldnt tax you way

Cut spending, raise taxes to reverse and fix the deficit. Lower taxes once the national economic situation is fixed.

That IS Romney's plan.

so what did they say, I'm too lazy to sign up to view it......and looking at you OP they said you couldnt tax you way

That is what they said. Some of them were interviewed on the Fox Business channel today and those were their exact words. Short simple and honest.

That is what they said. Some of them were interviewed on the Fox Business channel today and those were their exact words. Short simple and honest.

I just laugh at how liberals get owned over and over....even by their own posts or sources

I just laugh at how liberals get owned over and over....even by their own posts or sources

Some people will just never admit you can raise tax revenue without raising rates.

No wonder the op didn't understand, libs don't do "Short, simple and honest"

That IS Romney's plan.

:confused: It wasn't requiring a subscription earlier. Crap, I'll have to see if I can find it elsewhere online. But in a nutshell, they're saying that it will take both tax increases and spending cuts, and they are pressing Congress to do it, and do it now. They also said that they thought the Simpson-Bowles figures of $3 in reduced spending for every $1 of increased taxes was a good starting framework.

Grampa is stretching things. Here's another except (I have the physical paper in front of me):

Mr. Stephenson, a Romney backer, regards tax increass as unavoidable. "When you talk about $16 trillion debt, I don't see how you can avoid addressing both sides," namely spending cuts and tax increases. Asked about the differences between his position and Mr. Romney's, Mr. Stephenson said: "This is bigger than any one political candidate."

CEOs always find a way around taxes so I can't imagine they'd have a problem with it.

CEOs Call for Deficit Action - WSJ.com

Chief executives of more than 80 big-name U.S. corporations, from Aetna Inc. AET +1.09%to Weyerhaeuser Co., WY -0.94%are banding together to pressure Congress to reduce the federal deficit with tax-revenue increases as well as spending cuts.

The CEOs who signed the manifesto deem tax increases inevitable no matter which party succeeds at the polls in November. "There is no possible way; you can do the arithmetic a million different ways" to avoid raising taxes, said Mark Bertolini, CEO of Aetna. "You can't tax your way to fix this problem, and you can't cut entitlements enough to fix this problem."

You are now free to spin the yarn.

So, out of the top Fortune 1000 companies, they only found 80 CEOs who agreed that we should raise taxes? Did you think there weren't any Democrats who were CEOs?

That IS Romney's plan.

Well, the last version of Romney says his plan is 'revenue neutral'.

From the OP, the CEO's say we need to

...reduce the federal deficit with tax-revenue increases...

Revenue neutral is not revenue increase.

You can't get a bi-partisan deal without tax increases.

The partisan GOP deal is to protect almost all of the GOP's special interest supporters and dump the spending cuts on the Democrats' supporters. The Democrats won't put up with that and you can't get a deal without Democrat support.

Of course they are going to have to raise taxes and cut spending big time.

They need to get rid of the tax breaks, loopholes and subsidies while they are at it.

Common sense 101.

That IS Romney's plan.

You might try this link:

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/264021-ceos-call-on-washington-to-compromise-on-deficit

FTA:
The executives want Congress to strike a deal that reforms entitlement programs and cuts spending, but also overhauls the tax code in a way that increases revenue.

That IS Romney's plan.

Gramps, there aren't enough write-offs to cut to compensate for the rate reductions, unless you get rid of all the child credits and the earned income credit. Cut those two credits and a lot of low income workers will end up leaving the job market, which will reduce revenue on payroll taxes, offsetting the savings from removing those credits. On top of that, you will then have even more unemployed. The good thing though will be that the wealthy will get to keep more of their money under their mattress.

Forum List

Back