Big government this, that, and the other

BasicGreatGuy

Aut libertas aut mors
Aug 2, 2009
Atlanta
Many on the board take exception to what they believe, or perceive to be 'big government' encroachment by the federal government. If you believe the federal government has become too big, and has expanded itself to the detriment of constitutional power as it relates to the states, what specific areas and programs do you take exception to? What do you want to see done away with, as it relates to the proper balance between the federal government and the respective states?

For those who reply, please leave the "GOP this and Democrats that" at the thread door, as well as personal insults.

i'm not much of a small government preacher, but I feel the fed government's biggest encroachment on the rest of us is off-budget expenditure. through this practice, i think the treasury forces the hand of the central bank which i feel is rightfully insulated, structurally. government expenditure is meant to be transparent and attached to elected officials' decisions to which voters could hold them accountable. this off-budget bit obscures that.

i'm not much of a small government preacher, but I feel the fed government's biggest encroachment on the rest of us is off-budget expenditure. through this practice, i think the treasury forces the hand of the central bank which i feel is rightfully insulated, structurally. government expenditure is meant to be transparent and attached to elected officials' decisions to which voters could hold them accountable. this off-budget bit obscures that.

I think I agree, but do you have any links showing what "off-budget" items you are talking about? I thought Congress approves ALL expenditures. The TARP/STIMULI gave $787b mad-money, much of which was repaid...but not back to Treasury?! Is that what you are talking about?

Forum List

Back