Big Disappointment Today:

:redface: I've never heard of any of these shows.

liar!!!!
(you spelled it wrong)

Spelled "properly" and in pictures for anyone who cant read....:lol:

lyrepair.jpg

I love Downton Abbey! The attention to period detail wonderful!
That's true -- and very typical of BBC productions.

If you haven't already seen a movie called, Gosford Park, watch for it. If you like the Downton Abbey genre I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It usually runs once or twice a year on HBO and/or Showtime.

Another really good one is, The Remains Of The Day, with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

Until the BBC began examining the relationship between the British aristocracy and the servant class in such humanistic detail as presented in these excellent productions, those who appeared in films and plays as butlers and maids occurred to us as vaguely animated utilitarian props rather than people with feelings and personalities. But the central theme of Downton Abbey and the other two is the humanity of the servant class, which is what makes these films so interesting and, in the case of Downton Abbey, captivating.

So, with Mr. Bates locked away in prison and Thomas, the evil one, scheming to replace him, I anxiously look forward to Season Three.

LOVE Godsford Park...and The Remains Of The Day!!! I have them on DVD along with both seasons of Downton Abby.
I have Gosford Park on DVD and I intend to put Downton Abbey on my next Christmas hint list. I intend to VCR Remains of The Day next time it runs. But if it doesn't come around I'll eventually buy it.

I forgot to mention another BBC classic; Lark Rise to Candleford. Excellent!

That's true -- and very typical of BBC productions.

If you haven't already seen a movie called, Gosford Park, watch for it. If you like the Downton Abbey genre I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It usually runs once or twice a year on HBO and/or Showtime.

Another really good one is, The Remains Of The Day, with Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

Until the BBC began examining the relationship between the British aristocracy and the servant class in such humanistic detail as presented in these excellent productions, those who appeared in films and plays as butlers and maids occurred to us as vaguely animated utilitarian props rather than people with feelings and personalities. But the central theme of Downton Abbey and the other two is the humanity of the servant class, which is what makes these films so interesting and, in the case of Downton Abbey, captivating.

So, with Mr. Bates locked away in prison and Thomas, the evil one, scheming to replace him, I anxiously look forward to Season Three.

LOVE Godsford Park...and The Remains Of The Day!!! I have them on DVD along with both seasons of Downton Abby.
I have Gosford Park on DVD and I intend to put Downton Abbey on my next Christmas hint list. I intend to VCR Remains of The Day next time it runs. But if it doesn't come around I'll eventually buy it.

I forgot to mention another BBC classic; Lark Rise to Candleford. Excellent!

Ive never seen that one. I will look for it! I really enjoy period pieces that are well done. I know sappy, but but BBC version of Pride and Prejudice was great! One of the BBC pieces i miss is Poldark. Its not out on DVD here in the US and is something i would love to see them remake.

Ive never seen that one. I will look for it! I really enjoy period pieces that are well done. I know sappy, but but BBC version of Pride and Prejudice was great! One of the BBC pieces i miss is Poldark. Its not out on DVD here in the US and is something i would love to see them remake.
I haven't seen Poldark. In fact this is the first I've heard of it. but since we seem to have similar taste I'm curious to know what it's about.

Something else I regret having missed is Upstairs/Downstairs. If you've seen that series how would you say it compares with Downton Abbey?

Another good one I recently saw is a newer version of Jane Eyre.

Forum List

Back