Biden, that man is on fire...

You know as all of you know I am a Republican, but can admit that you democrats choice of Joe Biden is a good one. He has many years of experience in the US Senate and has a good handle on the foreign policy. However, does it concern you that his past faux paus , such as the little scandal of using someone else's speech and claiming it to be his in Iowa back in 1988 will come back and haunt him?

E.D.

I am concerned about Pakistan for several reasons on the one hand , we provide them with military aide, and on the other they seem to be supporting the Taliban or if not looking the other way or harboring them. It seems unwise for to me for several reasons to transfer weapons to Pakistan while this appearence of support for the Taliban is going on , all while Pakistan maintains nuclear weapons.

You know as all of you know I am a Republican, but can admit that you democrats choice of Joe Biden is a good one. He has many years of experience in the US Senate and has a good handle on the foreign policy. However, does it concern you that his past faux paus , such as the little scandal of using someone else's speech and claiming it to be his in Iowa back in 1988 will come back and haunt him?

E.D.

I am concerned about Pakistan for several reasons on the one hand , we provide them with military aide, and on the other they seem to be supporting the Taliban or if not looking the other way or harboring them. It seems unwise for to me for several reasons to transfer weapons to Pakistan while this appearence of support for the Taliban is going on, all while Pakistan maintains nuclear weapons.

On the one hand, we are giving billions of dollars to a fundamentalist Islamic nation in turmoil that harbors al Qaeda and HAS NUCLEAR WEAPONS, but on the other hand Joe Biden once quoted someone without attribution...

perhaps posts should have been split apart however, i think they speak for themselves. One is a simple fact and I am curious if his past penchant for telling whoppers makes democrats a little leary when they hear him speak. As for the Pakistan thing, I was simply responding to a previous post. but it stands on its own merits , in that Pakistan does have nuclear weapons, and harbors terrorists , so why then does Joe Biden sign a bill allow the transfer of such weapons, (see prev. post)

Who is Joe or Biden? I can't remember anyone by that name....:eusa_whistle:

Joe Biden:

Biden was born in Scranton, Pennsylvania, the son of Joseph Robinette Biden, Sr. (1915–2002) and Catherine Eugenia "Jean" Finnegan (born 1918).[2][3] He was the first of four siblings[3] and is of English heritage on his father's side and Irish heritage on his mother's side. He has two brothers, James Brian Biden and Francis W. Biden, and a sister, Valerie (Biden) Owens.[4] The Biden family moved to Claymont, Delaware, when Biden was 10 years old,[3] and he grew up in suburban New Castle County, Delaware, where his father was a car salesman. In 1961, Biden graduated from Archmere Academy in Claymont, Delaware[3] and, in 1965, from the University of Delaware in Newark,[5] where he double-majored in history and political science.[3] He went on to receive his J.D. from Syracuse University College of Law in 1968, and was admitted to the Delaware Bar in 1969.[5][6]

Biden received five student draft deferments during this period, with the first coming in late 1963 and the last in early 1968, at the peak of the Vietnam War.[7] In April 1968, he was reclassified by the Selective Service System as not available for service due to having had asthma as a teenager.[7]

On August 27, 1966 (while in law school) Biden married Neilia Hunter. They had three children, Joseph R. "Beau" Biden III, Robert Hunter, and Naomi Christina (aka Amy). His wife and infant daughter died in a car accident shortly after he was first elected to the Senate in 1972. His two sons, Beau and Hunter, were seriously injured in the accident, but both eventually made full recoveries. Biden was sworn into office from their bedside. Persuaded not to resign in order to care for them, Biden began the practice of commuting an hour and a half each day on the train from his home in the Wilmington suburbs to Washington, D.C., which he continues to do.

In 1977, Biden married Jill Tracy Jacobs. They have one daughter, Ashley Blazer Biden, and are members of the Roman Catholic Church. In February 1988, after suffering from neck pains, Biden was hospitalized and underwent lifesaving surgery to correct two brain aneurysms, one of which began leaking.[8] The hospitalization and recovery kept him from his duties in the U.S. Senate for seven months.

Biden's elder son, Beau, had been a partner in the Wilmington law firm of Bifferato, Gentilotti, Biden & Balick, LLC until he was elected Delaware Attorney General in 2006. Beau is a captain in the Delaware Army National Guard, where he serves in the Judge Advocate General's (JAG) Corps. He is set to be deployed to Iraq in October 2008.[9] Biden's younger son, Hunter, works as a lawyer in Washington, D.C., serves on the board of directors of Amtrak, and previously worked in the Commerce Department.

In 1981, Biden received an honorary degree from Saint Joseph's University.[10] Since 1991, Biden has also served as an adjunct professor at the Widener University School of Law. He teaches a seminar on constitutional law.

I dunno if that answers your question, but wikipedia is usually helpful! I always learna new thing or two and all the entries are cross-linked.

Last edited:
I have a question, about Joe Biden and U.S. Senators in general, do you think it's wise to support the transfer of U.S. Military Hardware to Pakistan? the same country that Barak Obama has on the record stated, "that as president he would order military action against terrorists in Pakistan" see washington post 08/2007. I pose this because Joe Biden along with Richard Lugar are the authors of a bill in the senate to do just that. Transfer and entire class of US Frigates to Pakistan. Now granted some are in the reserve fleet, but it still does not matter. These ships are still technically very capable ships and very deadly in the wrong hands.

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

I think that Pakistan is not an ally we can count on in the long run.

E.D.

I am concerned about Pakistan for several reasons on the one hand , we provide them with military aide, and on the other they seem to be supporting the Taliban or if not looking the other way or harboring them. It seems unwise for to me for several reasons to transfer weapons to Pakistan while this appearence of support for the Taliban is going on , all while Pakistan maintains nuclear weapons.

The plagiarism thing, in my understanding, included some senteences lifted from a british politician - Here's the thing. He had used those sentences before, several times, and had always cited them from the original source. So the fact that he didn't cite them in 1987 sounds (to me) like an oversight.

By August 1987, Biden's campaign had begun to lag behind those of Michael Dukakis and Richard Gephardt,[35] although he had still raised more funds than all candidates but Dukakis and was seeing an upturn in Iowa polls.[37] In September 1987, the campaign ran into trouble when he was accused of plagiarizing a speech by Neil Kinnock, then-leader of the British Labour Party.[38] Kinnock’s speech included the lines:
"Why am I the first Kinnock in a thousand generations to be able to get to university?" Then pointing to his wife in the audience, he continued: "Why is Glenys the first woman in her family in a thousand generations to be able to get to university? Was it because all our predecessors were thick?"

While Biden’s speech included the lines:
"I started thinking as I was coming over here, why is it that Joe Biden is the first in his family ever to go to a university?"

Then, pointing to his wife: "Why is it that my wife who is sitting out there in the audience is the first in her family to ever go to college? Is it because our fathers and mothers were not bright? Is it because I'm the first Biden in a thousand generations to get a college and a graduate degree that I was smarter than the rest?" Though Biden had cited Kinnock as the source for the formulation many times before, he made no reference to the original source at the August 23 debate in question.[39]

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like the issue was blown out of proportion.

The plagiarism thing, in my understanding, included some senteences lifted from a british politician - Here's the thing. He had used those sentences before, several times, and had always cited them from the original source. So the fact that he didn't cite them in 1987 sounds (to me) like an oversight.

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like the issue was blown out of proportion.

He had never cited them before, no matter what the polishers of his wiki page say. He also had a little problem in law school with plagiarism, but was allowed to cop a plea and repeat the course. This would be the law school that he claimed he graduated in the top of his class but in reality graduated 76th of 85 (hi John McCain) Truth and Joe Biden are not mutually inclusive. I actually like the guy, and I think he'll do a fine job

in the Senate

I wondered whether the wiki page was polished, and if you have a citation for it that'd be great.

Kinnock (the brit) is supporting Biden

Neil Kinnock Backs Biden 20 Years After Plagiarized Speech

The college professors - it's their job to decide on the plagiarism stuff. He got an F and had to retake the course.

I agree that he says some stupid stuff, but I don't know that its ever been malicious or intentionally deceitful, so much as bad, but not major, decisions. On the big decisions, and more importantly on policy, I think he's done OK.

perhaps posts should have been split apart however, i think they speak for themselves. One is a simple fact and I am curious if his past penchant for telling whoppers makes democrats a little leary when they hear him speak. As for the Pakistan thing, I was simply responding to a previous post. but it stands on its own merits , in that Pakistan does have nuclear weapons, and harbors terrorists , so why then does Joe Biden sign a bill allow the transfer of such weapons, (see prev. post)

I think that is a part of the politcal game, by giving aid, the US can increase its influence, if this is sufficient to prevent Pakistan from going Irans way the aid was good, if its not, Pakistan may go Irans way in be stronger because of the aid.
I do not see an easy solution here.

Joe Biden:

I dunno if that answers your question, but wikipedia is usually helpful! I always learna new thing or two and all the entries are cross-linked.

I know who Biden is I was being facetious.

I wondered whether the wiki page was polished, and if you have a citation for it that'd be great.

Kinnock (the brit) is supporting Biden

The college professors - it's their job to decide on the plagiarism stuff. He got an F and had to retake the course.

I agree that he says some stupid stuff, but I don't know that its ever been malicious or intentionally deceitful, so much as bad, but not major, decisions. On the big decisions, and more importantly on policy, I think he's done OK.

what major decisions has he made by himself? Honest question, I don't know the answer. As for Lord Kinnock's support, so what? If you think his wiki page hasn't been polished in the past 2 weeks, that's fine. I've read various articles saying that he had been crediting Kinnock on some occasions and not on others; I guess it depends on whether you think it was an oversight or deliberate on his part. Tough call. Personally, I think stealing is stealing.

I still think he'll do a fine job, perhaps as minority leader, in the Senate.

what major decisions has he made by himself? Honest question, I don't know the answer.

What major decision does ANY Senator make by themselves, including John McCain? Good grief the arguments you all make are kind of stupid aren't they? :cuckoo:

I sit here reading these comments about how someone wonders if an incident from 20 years ago where Joe Biden used text from another man's speech or paper or whatever will somehow be the downfall of the Obama campaign and I'm dumbstruck at the idiocy of it.

Do you think that people give two shits about something like that REALLY? I mean c'mon....

People are losing their homes, people can't afford gas and food, unemployment at at a record high in the last 5 years, we're in a war in one country and staring down the barrel of another war, we have a health care crisis, our education system is failing our children, Social Security is in danger, we're in an energy crisis, our earth is dying....c'mon people who care about a speech 20 years ago don't give a fuck about this country... and you'll probably vote republican....

This bullshit rhetroic of "OMG Joe Biden took credit for something he didn't write 20 years ago, I'm not sure how anyone could vote for him after that" is laughable and I'm sorry, just pathetic.

Here is Joe Biden handing out an ass whoopin to the GOP

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=955Y3NJTRIE]YouTube - Joe Biden On Fire[/ame]

What major decision does ANY Senator make by themselves, including John McCain? rest of incoherent rant cut due to lack of interest

that was my point.

lighten up, Frances, you have no idea who I support or why. now, go take some deep breaths into a paper bag; I believe you're hyperventilating

Last edited:
I think that Pakistan is not an ally we can count on in the long run.

I have to agree with you on the one editec, Pakistan is not an ally that has shown themselves to be helpful at all. Thus the reason for the original post, as to the reasoning behind selling them and in some cases as in the Spruance class destroyers giving them to Pakistan. At the very least you would think, that some sort of incentive should be involved here.

Anyone noticed how certain people changed a topic about what Joe Biden was saying and his message into about something he did 20 years ago supposedly or whatever?

Joe Biden used something he didn't write before. :eek:

I guess Sarah Palin is the devil herself then since she didn't write her own speech?

Back on topic though, this should become a slogan used in the next 60 days by the Dems. "This is not your father's republican party."

Last edited:
that was my point.

lighten up, Frances, you have no idea who I support or why. now, go take some deep breaths into a paper bag; I believe you're hyperventilating

thanks for showing yourself to be a sexist who can't actually defend your ideas and statements when confronted by a woman...

You didn't say what major decision does ANY Senator make by themselves, you asked specifically about Mr. Biden, hence giving the impression that you believe this is something unique to Mr. Biden himself and not a bi-product of working in an atmosphere were majority rules.

thanks for showing yourself to be a sexist who can't actually defend your ideas and statements when confronted by a woman...

You didn't say what major decision does ANY Senator make by themselves, you asked specifically about Mr. Biden, hence giving the impression that you believe this is something unique to Mr. Biden himself and not a bi-product of working in an atmosphere were majority rules.

I didn't ask about ANY US Senator, because I wasn't interested in ANY US Senator. The fact that you are incapable of reading for comprehension really isn't my problem, is it? and an accusation of sexism is weak and not worthy of any response.

Biden is a tough buy. He tells it like it is, whether the GOP or the Dems like it. He knows foreign policy as well as anyone and he knows there the hot spots are in the work.

One more thing...he is not "Darth Vader" "Uncle Fester" Chaney.

Forum List

Back