Bible criticism

I'm thinking about starting an OP about nuclear fusion. I don't know anything about it but I can search the internet and cut and paste. Now, if anyone takes exception to what I cut and past on the subject, they will need to contact the authors of the information I cut and pasted since I know nothing about the subject myself.

I was in a bible class in the 1960's and when I discovered that everyone else there agreed God burns people in eternal hellfire I walked out . Since then I have studied many things like spiritualism and occultism. So I have some knowledge, and when I find a forum over run with people preaching hellfire, I figure it is time to have my say.

There is also the matter that I am not dealing with something I am not capable of understanding like nuclear physics. I am dealing with bible texts that I can read in English, and the bible can be subjected to criticism just like any other book.

Apparently you still don't understand a whole lot about it or you would realize that God has condemned no one to a place of punishment as of this date. Hell is merely the grave. The dead are dead and inactive and will remain so until Christ returns. See, you did learn something today.

Yea sure, the resurrection on the day of judgement when people will be divided. But I don't believe that anyway. I have had many messages from the spirits of my dead relatives through many different mediums. They say they are alive and well and inhabit a higher realm of existence. Therefore it is my experience the bible is wrong.

I'm thinking about starting an OP about nuclear fusion. I don't know anything about it but I can search the internet and cut and paste. Now, if anyone takes exception to what I cut and past on the subject, they will need to contact the authors of the information I cut and pasted since I know nothing about the subject myself.

I was in a bible class in the 1960's and when I discovered that everyone else there agreed God burns people in eternal hellfire I walked out . Since then I have studied many things like spiritualism and occultism. So I have some knowledge, and when I find a forum over run with people preaching hellfire, I figure it is time to have my say.

There is also the matter that I am not dealing with something I am not capable of understanding like nuclear physics. I am dealing with bible texts that I can read in English, and the bible can be subjected to criticism just like any other book.

Apparently you still don't understand a whole lot about it or you would realize that God has condemned no one to a place of punishment as of this date. Hell is merely the grave. The dead are dead and inactive and will remain so until Christ returns. See, you did learn something today.

Yea sure, the resurrection on the day of judgement when people will be divided. But I don't believe that anyway. I have had many messages from the spirits of my dead relatives through many different mediums. They say they are alive and well and inhabit a higher realm of existence. Therefore it is my experience the bible is wrong.

Yes indeed. Your speaking to the dead through your mediums. Indeed, the demons are all around you, whispering to you. LOL!!

The outright ludicrous claims in much of the bible are too numerous to list.

A literal talking snake.

The fact that human beings, at the Council of Nicea, kept and tossed out various 'books of the lord'. In other words human beings decided which of 'god's words' should be included in a book, and which should be discarded and forgotten. Really? You get to decide which of 'god's words' to follow and which to ignore?

On second thought that is exactly how kristians view 'the word of god' today. Evangelicals in the US have interpreted the bible to allow for torture and hating groups of people they don't like.
Hilarious coming from someone who uses Newton, a very devout Christian as his avatar.

Yes indeed. Your speaking to the dead through your mediums. Indeed, the demons are all around you, whispering to you. LOL!!

You can laugh, but it is my experience some mediums are genuine and they know what they are doing. They are not deceived by demons, and they know there are higher realms inhabited by the spirits of the departed. I myself used to feel psychic energy, and I would have known if it was evil.

If you believe we are deceived by demons, I think it is you that are mistaken.

The outright ludicrous claims in much of the bible are too numerous to list.

A literal talking snake.

The fact that human beings, at the Council of Nicea, kept and tossed out various 'books of the lord'. In other words human beings decided which of 'god's words' should be included in a book, and which should be discarded and forgotten. Really? You get to decide which of 'god's words' to follow and which to ignore?

On second thought that is exactly how kristians view 'the word of god' today. Evangelicals in the US have interpreted the bible to allow for torture and hating groups of people they don't like.
Hilarious coming from someone who uses Newton, a very devout Christian as his avatar.

So snakes can talk then?

You can laugh, but it is my experience some mediums are genuine and they know what they are doing. They are not deceived by demons, and they know there are higher realms inhabited by the spirits of the departed. I myself used to feel psychic energy, and I would have known if it was evil.

No, they are not deceived by demons. I didn't say anywhere that "WE" are deceived by demons. That describes yourself.

No, they are not deceived by demons. I didn't say anywhere that "WE" are deceived by demons. That describes yourself.

I have been that soldier, and fought against fear of being possessed, and of evil spirits and demons. But I learned I can control the psychic energy around me and defend myself against unwanted influences. I learned how to channel energy through my chakras and build a shell of light around myself strengthening my aura.

I fear no demons even if they exist, which I doubt. But I am sure nothing can come between the souls of men and God.

Egyptian pharaohs existed long after the flood, long after the Tower of Babel.

That may be so but the bible books were written long after such events are said to have taken place. They were written around 1400 bc and Egypt was already an old civilisation,

When was the Bible written? — Biblica

Ancient Egypt started around 3500 bc that's two thousand years before the bible books were written,

Last edited:
I am tired of reading all the bible thumping threads telling us the bible is the word of God, and we will burn in hell if we do not believe it. So here is a thread to dismantle the bible and prove it cannot be from God, and it has not been preserved unchanged.
I will be posting many links and doing some cut and paste jobs, because I am no bible expert, but I know a lot of work has been done on this by others.

The first point I would like to raise is the age of Noah and other so called prophets. The bible says Noah lived to be 950 years old, but I read somewhere that this is now believed to be a mistake in the translation of the numbers from an early bible, by a scribe that did not understand the numbering system.
I will research this and post links.

To be going on with here are a couple of links to critical pages.

Bible Babble - The Holy Bible and it's Errors, Contradictions, and so on.

Biblical scientific errors - RationalWiki
Skeptic's Annotated Bible / Quran / Book of Mormon

I have been that soldier, and fought against fear of being possessed, and of evil spirits and demons. But I learned I can control the psychic energy around me and defend myself against unwanted influences. I learned how to channel energy through my chakras and build a shell of light around myself strengthening my aura.

I fear no demons even if they exist, which I doubt. But I am sure nothing can come between the souls of men and God.

Hang in there. I'm pretty certain your children will soon put you away where you can sit and talk to your spirits all day and all night out of sight of the rest of the world. Just you and your doctors.

I am tired of reading all the bible thumping threads telling us the bible is the word of God,

as an example of the fallacy is their worship of the person Moses who destroyed as he claims etchings given to him by the Almighty - and as well ...

"He (Moses) saw a Hebrew, one of his own people, being beaten by an Egyptian. 12 He looked all around, and when he didn’t see anyone, he beat the Egyptian to death and hid the body in the sand".

they worship a murder and not just that one many others.

Destroying etching's if from the Almighty is an unforgivable crime - their worship of that person is likewise the same.

So snakes can talk then?

It was a talking serpent. Serpent in Hebrew is both a noun and an adjective. And just like in every language a talking snake would be a reference to a type of person. In the bible a talking serpent is a specific reference to a religious deceiver.

You are arguing with talking serpents and yet you don't believe in talking serpents?

ugh.

for shits sake, you are smarter than that.....

It is also good to keep in mind who its ultimate authors were.

For the older portion of the library, Moses was the first author and Nehemiah was the last, not counting the Maccabees who were more or less just historians not prophets. The date range of the older portion is from 1450 BCE to 450 BCE.

For the more recent but still ancient portion of the library, Jesus is the ultimate author with St. Paul and St. Luke being secondary additional authors. Whereas the other authors of the more recent portion of the library had known Jesus personally during their lives, Paul and Luke were disciples who joined Christianity after Jesus' death, resurrection, and ascension.
We should keep in mind that the early stories of the OT were oral traditions that were unlikely to be written by their subjects. Moses is at least 1/2 myth as is the garden of Eden, the flood, the Exodus, etc. When the stories were finally written down, centuries later, the writers were more concerned with theology than history or science.
The NT is only slightly better. It is unlikely that Jesus wrote anything down, he preached to the illiterate. The authors of the Gospels are unknown and we assigned names to them after the fact (no where in them does it say who the author is). Paul is the oldest Christian writings we have and he knew little about Jesus beyond the fact he lived, died and was "resurrected". Everything he knew about Jesus was second hand info.
I'm not a believer but I'm fascinated by history and religion.

I am tired of reading all the bible thumping threads telling us the bible is the word of God, and we will burn in hell if we do not believe it. So here is a thread to dismantle the bible and prove it cannot be from God, and it has not been preserved unchanged.

Have you ever considered the possibility that it was your teachers, not the Bible, who were in error? I agree that some Evangelical-types announce a "Burn in Hell" version of the Bible. Forget them, and forget what they teach.

The best way to properly understand the Bible, is to understand the language in which it was written, the history, people, and cultures of ancient times. Who was the audience the original authors were addressing? What issue/moral were they addressing?

The story of Noah is a prime example. In the original language, different words were used for the entire planet and ordinary earth the ground is made of. I have earth in my garden. When that earth floods, I'm not referencing an entire planet. Neither were the author(s) of the Great Flood referencing the planet--but all the earth around them.

The "I'm not going to believe the Bible because Evangelicals insist the entire planet was flooded" compounds error. Jews (that I know) do not believe the entire planet was effected. In fact, some point to one of the Psalms that teaches that after God separated water and land, never again was the entire planet covered with water.

There is a difference between people's understanding of the Bible being incorrect and the Bible being incorrect. Heck, I was just a child when I noticed that the ages of the ancients corresponded better to a lunar cycle than a yearly one. I've held that possibility in my mind ever since, but I also decided it doesn't really matter. The intent of the Bible is to address something greater than how long people lived. Those are side notes. Did someone mistake lunar count for yearly? Possibly. Perhaps not. We don't know, but we can decide what makes the most sense to each one of us personally.

There is the matter of the creation myth in Genesis which is obviously made up and cannot be literally true
According to genesis the heaven and earth were created at the same time. The creation is said to have taken six days, and the bible says one of Gods days is as a thousand years. So the bible says the heaven and earth were created in six thousand years.
But science tells us the heavens were created first 14 billion years ago and the earth has only existed for 4 billion years. Because planets are made from the matter expelled from dying stars, so there could be no planets until billions of years after the big bang when many stars had died and released heavy atoms into space.

Bible Genesis 1.31 And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Bible 2Peter 3.8 But beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is as with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

So snakes can talk then?

It was a talking serpent. Serpent in Hebrew is both a noun and an adjective. And just like in every language a talking snake would be a reference to a type of person. In the bible a talking serpent is a specific reference to a religious deceiver.

You are arguing with talking serpents and yet you don't believe in talking serpents?

ugh.

for shits sake, you are smarter than that.....

Bible genesis chapter 3 says "now the serpent was more subtle than any beast of the field which the lord God had made"

At that time God had only made beasts of the field and Adam and Eve so the serpent was not a human being.
Yet the serpent speaks at genesis 3.4

Moses is at least 1/2 myth as is the garden of Eden, the flood, the Exodus, etc. When the stories were finally written down, centuries later, the writers were more concerned with theology than history or science.

I would like to know when the bible thumpers on this forum think the flood took place, because the bible dates from only 1400 bc, and the ancient Egyptians go back two thousand years earlier than that. As far as I know the Egyptians never spoke of a flood myth in their many texts that have survived. So how would oral traditions go back earlier than the beginning of Egypt?
As far as I can see the bible is largely made up stories, and it does not fit the facts.

Have you ever considered the possibility that it was your teachers, not the Bible, who were in error? I agree that some Evangelical-types announce a "Burn in Hell" version of the Bible. Forget them, and forget what they teach.

The best way to properly understand the Bible, is to understand the language in which it was written, the history, people, and cultures of ancient times. Who was the audience the original authors were addressing? What issue/moral were they addressing?

The story of Noah is a prime example. In the original language, different words were used for the entire planet and ordinary earth the ground is made of. I have earth in my garden. When that earth floods, I'm not referencing an entire planet. Neither were the author(s) of the Great Flood referencing the planet--but all the earth around them.

The "I'm not going to believe the Bible because Evangelicals insist the entire planet was flooded" compounds error. Jews (that I know) do not believe the entire planet was effected. In fact, some point to one of the Psalms that teaches that after God separated water and land, never again was the entire planet covered with water.

There is a difference between people's understanding of the Bible being incorrect and the Bible being incorrect. Heck, I was just a child when I noticed that the ages of the ancients corresponded better to a lunar cycle than a yearly one. I've held that possibility in my mind ever since, but I also decided it doesn't really matter. The intent of the Bible is to address something greater than how long people lived. Those are side notes. Did someone mistake lunar count for yearly? Possibly. Perhaps not. We don't know, but we can decide what makes the most sense to each one of us personally.

I agree the flood myth probably has its origins in a local flood , but the bible says at genesis 6.7 " And the Lord said , I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth" He can only have done that if the whole earth were flooded.
In any case the flood myth entails the story of Noah gathering two of every creature aboard the ark.

As far as I can see the bible is largely made up stories, and it does not fit the facts.
I don't agree. I think it is a collection of stories passed down from generation to generation. The stories, except for the Adam and Eve and Noah myths, likely originated from real events (e.g., no Exodus although Israelites lived in ancient Egypt but more likely as mercenaries than slaves) but were embellished and skewed to convey the morality of the society. As their society evolved so did their stories.

There is the matter of the creation myth in Genesis which is obviously made up and cannot be literally true
According to genesis the heaven and earth were created at the same time. The creation is said to have taken six days, and the bible says one of Gods days is as a thousand years. So the bible says the heaven and earth were created in six thousand years.

The creation of heaven and earth is a figurative story of the time when the law came from God to be a light to the nations, the law which teaches to distinguish between clean and unclean, true and false, good and evil, life and death..effectively separating the light and life of heaven, the world above, from the darkness and death of the world below. The story has absolutely nothing whatever to do with the creation of the universe, the solar system or the planet.

Before the the law was given as a light, "the world was without form and void and darkness covered the face of the deep" which does not mean that there were no inhabitants, it just means that for the previous millions of years the world was a lawless ball of confusion where ignorance and superstition, darkness, reigned.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back