Better Call Saul -Season 6, the Final Season and What Comes Next

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Season 6, the final season of Better Call Saul has arrived on Netflix. Like all prior seasons it is well done. Unlike previous seasons, Jimmy has to pay the piper for a life of cheating and cons. If you haven't watched season 6, be aware there are spoilers that follow.

In Season 6, all the loose ends are tied up. Lalo, the most vicious of the Salamanca cartel family gets his due. Kim finally comes to the realization that she and Jimmy are not good for each other. Gus, the chicken man solves his problem with the Salamanca family. Jimmy's final scheme directed at Howard destroys him and results in his death. And Jimmy shows some real remorse. In the end, Jimmy faces the consequences of his actions; and in doing so does the right thing thus taking responsibility for his crimes even thou it means spending the rest of his life in prison. This is not the way I would have wanted the series to end but it is the way it needed to end.

What's next for the franchise?
At AMC, there is a lot of interest in a follow-up series. However, there is little consensus as to what that might be. Some ideas that have been kicked around are:
Jimmie's life in prison. I think we can guess what that would be like.
Kim Wexler's life after Jimmy
Building a story around some of the great characters developed in Breaking Bad or Call Saul.
A pre-squeal to Call Saul which is a pre-sequel/sequel to Breaking Bad.

My guess is the Breaking Bad franchise is at an end when it comes to a new TV series and here's why. First of all Vince Gilligan who is the co-creator and responsible for development of most of the characters said, that he had no interest in doing another series within this franchise and is working on developing a totally different series, although he might be interested sometime in the future. Even if AMC persuaded Gilligan to create another series, AMC is very divided as to what they might want. And lastly the writers strike, which is likely to go on a long time, sort of seals the deal, no more Breaking Bad series so enjoy what there is.

Last edited:
I hope Odenkirk does another Nobody...
I would like to see Odenkirk again but maybe something with more budget than 16 million. Odenkirk is an excellent character actor. He is in a new AMC series called Lucky Hank.

It was a bit of a distraction seeing aging actors playing characters that were years younger than at the end of Breaking Bad.

At least they were all that way, though, so I could suspend disbelief. In El Camino,

*Spoilers follow*

Skinny Pete, Badger and Jesse Pinkman were plausible as being the same age as when Breaking bad ended, even though it was shot six years later. They looked rough as younger men, and were supposed to have been through a lot, so it made sense.

But The guy who played Todd looked like he had gained fifty pounds and ten years. It took me right out of the movie.

I thought they did an excellent job of wrapping up the series and showing what happens after Breaking Bad.

My favorite scene was with Jimmy headed to the Big House on a bus load of convicted felons. You would expect a civilian like Jimmy would be in for a tough time in prison life.
Instead, they recognize him and start to chant “Better Call Saul” to acknowledge how hard he worked to represent criminals.

Also loved how they used Carol Burnett

I thought they did an excellent job of wrapping up the series and showing what happens after Breaking Bad.

My favorite scene was with Jimmy headed to the Big House on a bus load of convicted felons. You would expect a civilian like Jimmy would be in for a tough time in prison life.
Instead, they recognize him and start to chant “Better Call Saul” to acknowledge how hard he worked to represent criminals.

Was that her. I though, could that be Carol Burnett.

I love the use B&W but I can't quite figure why the director intermixed color and b&w. I thought it was only during a flashback but he seems to use it at other times.

It was a bit of a distraction seeing aging actors playing characters that were years younger than at the end of Breaking Bad.

At least they were all that way, though, so I could suspend disbelief. In El Camino,

*Spoilers follow*

Skinny Pete, Badger and Jesse Pinkman were plausible as being the same age as when Breaking bad ended, even though it was shot six years later. They looked rough as younger men, and were supposed to have been through a lot, so it made sense.

But The guy who played Todd looked like he had gained fifty pounds and ten years. It took me right out of the movie.
The time difference between the first season of Breaking Bad and last season of Call Saul was 14 years so there is bound to be some change in appearance. Since Call Saul was both a sequel and pre-sequel, the problem could be exacerbated .

The time difference between the first season of breaking bad and last season of Call Saul was 14 years such there is bound some change in appearance.

I no longer take anything uou post seriously after uncovering the fact you are a comfirmed marxist working to destroy the country we have built. You are OK with 2020 and all results since.
Get off the boards you commee puke.

I would like a sequel to El Camino.

A series with Barry and Jimmy in prison together would be amazing, I think.

Two white boys taking over a federal prison, a killer and a thinker.

And what is with the idiot above? Good bye.

Last edited:
I no longer take anything uou post seriously after uncovering the fact you are a comfirmed marxist working to destroy the country we have built. You are OK with 2020 and all results since.
Get off the boards you commee puke.
This is planet Earth. It's 2023. The subject is Better Call Saul and the issue is aging actors. Unless you like being ignored, get with the program.

I would like a sequel to El Camino.

A series with Barry and Jimmy in prison together would be amazing, I think.

Two white boys taking over a federal prison, a killer and a thinker.
Depending on the plot, it could be good. I would rather see a series with Jimmy in prison than a pre-sequel of Jimmy's younger years. Actually, I would like a series about Gus, the chicken man and his trusted employee, Mike who does his dirty work. I think both these characters are fascinating.

Depending on the plot, it could be good. I would rather see a series with Jimmy in prison than a pre-sequel of Jimmy's younger years. Actually, I would like a series about Gus, the chicken man and his trusted employee, Mike who does his dirty work. I think both these characters are fascinating.

No more Slipp’n Jimmy?

Was that her. I though, could that be Carol Burnett.
I know, right?

I remember watching The Carol Burnette show with my mom as a kid in the seventies, and there she was still going strong.

She did a movie (made for TV, I think) called Friendly Fire about a family's search for the truth about their son's death in Vietnam. It was a decent plot, but the best part was how she played her character as a driven woman turned obsessive to the point of alienating the rest of her family.

And I have to admit: Ed and Eunice? Could have been my mom and dad if Ed were a postman instead of a hardware guy.

I know, right?

I remember watching The Carol Burnette show with my mom as a kid in the seventies, and there she was still going strong.

She did a movie (made for TV, I think) called Friendly Fire about a family's search for the truth about their son's death in Vietnam. It was a decent plot, but the best part was how she played her character as a driven woman turned obsessive to the point of alienating the rest of her family.

And I have to admit: Ed and Eunice? Could have been my mom and dad if Ed were a postman instead of a hardware guy.
Carol turned 90 in April

I think the series ended in the same way BB did - in the end, you pay the price for your transgressions.
Both Walt and Jimmy gained fantastically in the short term from their crimes. But in the end, they both lost everything they ever had.
Season 6 was, IMO, the best season by far. They did a great job tying it all together and making it end in the way you knew it was going to.

The time difference between the first season of Breaking Bad and last season of Call Saul was 14 years so there is bound to be some change in appearance. Since Call Saul was both a sequel and pre-sequel, the problem could be exacerbated .
Didn't realize that 14 years was the time difference. I just assumed the Saul series was the couple years before Walter White entered the scene.

Didn't realize that 14 years was the time difference. I just assumed the Saul series was the couple years before Walter White entered the scene.
The one thing they couldn't change was Mike.
In the last season Mike looks 70+ years old...every bit of it, because the actor in real life was 75 in 2022.
When BB started he was 61 years old. You can't hide that fact.

Mike's first appearance in Breaking Bad.....

z8sml11n-1920.jpg

Mike in Better Call Saul season 6......

Better-Call-Saul-AMC-Season-6-Episode-2-Mike.jpg

I appreciate that they decided not to go the heavy makeup/cgi route to try and make him look younger. It would have looked weird and too obvious.

Forum List

Back