Best actor in the 'Star Trek' franchise ...

1485_tribble_plush_replica.jpg

Heheh, I always wanted a pet tribble. I found their purr to be soothing even over the TV speakers. So clearly, I have no Klingon blood in me (sorry to disappoint).

I attended the first large scale 'Star Trek' convention on the West Coast -- Equicon '73 at the International Hotel LAX. David Gerrold had a booth selling Tribble props from the show at $20 (Nearly $200 today).

By the end of the Con I was broke and re-sold my Tribble for bus fare home.

Heheh, I always wanted a pet tribble. I found their purr to be soothing even over the TV speakers. So clearly, I have no Klingon blood in me (sorry to disappoint).

I attended the first large scale 'Star Trek' convention on the West Coast -- Equicon '73 at the International Hotel LAX. David Gerrold had a booth selling Tribble props from the show at $20 (Nearly $200 today).

That's amazing that the tribble props kept increasing in value. I guess that means the Tribble episode was something that really grew on society in general over time. I'm sure the DS9 time-travel episode "Trials & Tribbleations" in the 90s must have given tribbles an extra burst as well.

That's amazing that the tribble props kept increasing in value. I guess that means the Tribble episode was something that really grew on society in general over time. I'm sure the DS9 time-travel episode "Trials & Tribbleations" in the 90s must have given tribbles an extra burst as well.

I didn't mean to imply that the value of the Tribble prop increased ten-fold in value. They weren't particularly collectable, not in mint condition, no packaging (obviously) and no way to certify authenticity. I was merely pointing out that $20 was a lot of money for a kid in 1973.

I didn't mean to imply that the value of the Tribble prop increased ten-fold in value. They weren't particularly collectable, not in mint condition, no packaging (obviously) and no way to certify authenticity. I was merely pointing out that $20 was a lot of money for a kid in 1973.

I know (I was born in '73 so I'm not an expert of the time). I'm just saying that after years of Star Trek reruns and the Star DS9 tribute, society in general is probably more familiar with Star Trek's tribbles nowadays than when it first aired in the '60s. That was my point.

In the spirit of this thread, I present another gargantuan acting moment, between Patrick Stewart and Mark Lenard (Spock's dad).

I'm watching BBC America's Friday night Star Trek marathon and now the episode "The Doomsday Machine" which had the most brutally intense acting I've seen in sci-fi, any Trek or otherwise: William Windom as the mentally damaged Commodore Decker. He sold his utter pain and anguish so well, it was actually difficult to watch because I felt so awful for him. It's like Kirk said before Decker's suicide, "Matt, nobody expects you to die for an error in judgment!" And when Decker whispers, "I've been prepared for death ever since I....I killed my crew," that's some balls-to-the-wall acting there.
Nothing touches Kahn.

I'm watching BBC America's Friday night Star Trek marathon and now the episode "The Doomsday Machine" which had the most brutally intense acting I've seen in sci-fi, any Trek or otherwise: William Windom as the mentally damaged Commodore Decker. He sold his utter pain and anguish so well, it was actually difficult to watch because I felt so awful for him. It's like Kirk said before Decker's suicide, "Matt, nobody expects you to die for an error in judgment!" And when Decker whispers, "I've been prepared for death ever since I....I killed my crew," that's some balls-to-the-wall acting there.
Nothing touches Kahn.

I'll drink to that, sir. Not many Trek characters have the on-screen charisma power of Khan. And please remember........."THIS IS CETI ALPHA 5!!!"

Deep Space 9's greatest performance, which has a certain Hannibal Lecter/Clarice Starling vibe to it.

Anything after the original series was all pc bullshit.

Anything after the original series was all pc bullshit.

I admit the original series was much ballsier in its general nature. But the newer ones did have some interesting, ambitious story ideas, in spite of their regular flickers of PC. As I always admit, I'm a sucker for a big space adventure.

I would be remiss in my USMB duties of pointing out greatest Star Trek acting if I forgot this TNG scene between two larger-than-life Shakespearen Brits, David Warner and Patrick Stewart.

Forum List

Back