WillMunny

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
I'm watching BBC America's Friday night Star Trek marathon and now the episode "The Doomsday Machine" which had the most brutally intense acting I've seen in sci-fi, any Trek or otherwise: William Windom as the mentally damaged Commodore Decker. He sold his utter pain and anguish so well, it was actually difficult to watch because I felt so awful for him. It's like Kirk said before Decker's suicide, "Matt, nobody expects you to die for an error in judgment!" And when Decker whispers, "I've been prepared for death ever since I....I killed my crew," that's some balls-to-the-wall acting there.

Last edited:
1960's TV actors were not 'subtle' compared to dramatic actors today and can appear melodramatic by today's standards.

theenemywithinhd409.jpg

Decker. You always want to punch that dick in the face. Spock sparred with Decker very effectively. Where's you ship Decker? Oh it was destroyed along with your entire crew? Well aren't you the Capt Dunzel.

Decker needed to die in that episode, nothing else would have been satisfying. It was good acting for sure. I would also note Ricardo Montalban as Khan.

Decker. You always want to punch that dick in the face. Spock sparred with Decker very effectively. Where's you ship Decker? Oh it was destroyed along with your entire crew? Well aren't you the Capt Dunzel.

Decker needed to die in that episode, nothing else would have been satisfying. It was good acting for sure. I would also note Ricardo Montalban as Khan.

Of course it was great acting, but I still felt pity for such a destroyed character. He was trying to save his crew, but the planet-killer went after the third planet instead of the Constellation, as he hoped. Decker wasn't a bad guy per se, he made a giant mistake that left him too mentally damaged to be competent.

Of course it was great acting, but I still felt pity for such a destroyed character. He was trying to save his crew, but the planet-killer went after the third planet instead of the Constellation, as he hoped. Decker wasn't a bad guy per se, he made a giant mistake that left him too mentally damaged to be competent.

It's called redemption.

Now that someone mentioned Khan let me remind you of his best, raging moment in Star Trek II: "THIS IS CETI ALPHA V!!!!!!!"

Ah, now it's the whacky/funny "I, Mudd" episode, in which Spock confuses advanced androids by telling them, "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD!" Heheh, I admit I get a large variety of kicks out of the old Trek. I'm a sucker for ambitious space adventure stories.

Last edited:
You ever notice the old Star Trek is one of the very few shows that correctly show explosions in space without sound?

You ever notice the old Star Trek is one of the very few shows that correctly show explosions in space without sound?

It's had some unique, interesting, sometimes crazy explosions in it (esp. the Hollywood movies), I noticed that. But plenty of its explosions did have some big, bombastic sounds to it. I don't remember Star Trek explosions being particularly silent.

It's had some unique, interesting, sometimes crazy explosions in it (esp. the Hollywood movies), I noticed that. But plenty of its explosions did have some big, bombastic sounds to it. I don't remember Star Trek explosions being particularly silent.
many of the ones occurring in a vacuum were.

Here's Star Trek's other greatest acting moment, from the last good Trek movie 20 years ago......I will make them PAY for what they have done!

Last edited:
Best actor in the 'Star Trek' franchise ...

1485_tribble_plush_replica.jpg

Heheh, I always wanted a pet tribble. I found their purr to be soothing even over the TV speakers. So clearly, I have no Klingon blood in me (sorry to disappoint).

Forum List

Back