Best Science Fiction shows that are Not Star Trek

I'm sure to forget some shows here.

Firefly
Farscape
X-Files (I'll list Fringe here as well, since it's sometimes like a remake of X-Files lol)
Highlander (if you want to call it sci-fi)
Misfits (again, not sure if it really fits in the sci-fi genre)
Space Above and Beyond
Defying Gravity
Torchwood (I've only seen the US version, but I enjoyed it)
Terminator: TSCC

For animations, I loved Robotech when I was young.

Too many good sci-fi shows get cancelled early, it seems. I suppose it's just not a genre that enough people want to watch (or at least not enough Neilsen people).

the Highlander is Sci-fi.....dont forget according to the movie these guys were aliens exiled here and the last one standing would have the option to go back.....of course the TV show kinda deviated from that premise somewhat......
i was disappointed with the Starz version of Torchwood.....in the original BBC one they dealt with Alien encounters.....which was the reason back in the 1800's that Queen Elizabeth started it.....after her encounter with the Doctor....

the Highlander is Sci-fi.....dont forget according to the movie these guys were aliens exiled here and the last one standing would have the option to go back.....of course the TV show kinda deviated from that premise somewhat......
i was disappointed with the Starz version of Torchwood.....in the original BBC one they dealt with Alien encounters.....which was the reason back in the 1800's that Queen Elizabeth started it.....after her encounter with the Doctor....

I tend to ignore the Highlander movies after the first one, they all sucked. :lol:

Maybe I'm forgetting, but didn't the force in the Starz Torchwood turn out to be alien?

I thought the first season of Alphas was decent, I'll check out season 2. Misfits is still far and away the best show about super powers, though.

I feel like there's another sci-fi show that only lasted 1 season I'm forgetting....it's going to nag at me for days, I bet. :evil:

Oh, and the best theme music for a sci-fi show goes to Starblazers! Even 20 years or so after the show ended, I still remember the chorus to that. :lol:

B5

And why did they never finish Crusade?

btw Gene Roddenberrys widow was on B5 and not on Voyager or DS9.

She was on two episodes of Deep Space Nine, playing Lwaxana Troi, who had a thing for Odo.

As to why they didn't finish Crusade, the thing was, after acquiring B5, TNT decided to change its focus away from shows like Crusade and Witchblade and towards more crime dramas. So they made the decision to cancel crusade before the first 13 episodes ever aired.

>

FireFly (One more season to the characters to develop and it really would have had long legs).

Stargate (not the spin offs)

And I still like Fringe and Being Human

Oh, BSG

>>>>

I simply could not stomach BSG. I just have a such a negative opinion of the 1970's series (or as I lovingly call it "Mormons in Spaaaaaace") that I just can't watch a show with characters of the same names.

While I like all the shows listed..

Star Trek still kicked ass. And most of it holds up remarkably well.

Next Generation is a mixed bag. Some of it seems like it was made for the "Woman's network". :lol:

Didn't care for Torchwood that much. I think every season, they felt they needed to do totally depressing stories that killed major characters and kind of left you with an empty feeling. I gave up after season 3.

Oh, yeah. And dudes sucking face just about every episode. Sorry,I try to be tolerant and all that, but it still makes me cringe. But I'm an old person.

Next Generation is a mixed bag. Some of it seems like it was made for the "Woman's network". :lol:

I think The original series was great, and it still holds up.

TNG doesn't hold up as well. The thing was the first two seasons were weak and the last season, everyone was putting more effort into DS9 and Voyager and kind of let it drift.

Deep Space Nine is a better series than anyone gave it credit for. Not as good as Babylon 5, though.

Voyager was just awful.

And by the time they got around to Enterprise, it seems like they were just finding new ways to insult their long time fans. (Like the episode that compared Vulcan Mind Melding to AIDS.)

TNG doesn't hold up as well. The thing was the first two seasons were weak and the last season, everyone was putting more effort into DS9 and Voyager and kind of let it drift.

Deep Space Nine is a better series than anyone gave it credit for. Not as good as Babylon 5, though.

Voyager was just awful.

And by the time they got around to Enterprise, it seems like they were just finding new ways to insult their long time fans. (Like the episode that compared Vulcan Mind Melding to AIDS.)
Alien Nation; short lived but I enjoyed it.

Voyager was just awful.

Alien Nation; short lived but I enjoyed it.
I'd totally forgotten about that show! It was great when it was on. But yes, definitely too shortly lived. The movie was pretty darn thought provoking for it's time, the show did a great job capitalizing on it.

I tend to ignore the Highlander movies after the first one, they all sucked. :lol:

Maybe I'm forgetting, but didn't the force in the Starz Torchwood turn out to be alien?

I thought the first season of Alphas was decent, I'll check out season 2. Misfits is still far and away the best show about super powers, though.

I feel like there's another sci-fi show that only lasted 1 season I'm forgetting....it's going to nag at me for days, I bet. :evil:

Oh, and the best theme music for a sci-fi show goes to Starblazers! Even 20 years or so after the show ended, I still remember the chorus to that. :lol:

i dont know....it was described as an unexplained rock formation that reacted to Jacks Tardis transformed Blood.....in the other shows there were Aliens or things causing problems that were not from Earth....but you knew they or it were Aliens....

I guess we're talking past and present.

1. Twilight Zone
2. The Outer Limits
3. Babylon 5
4. Fringe
5. X-Files
6. Firefly
7. Warehouse 13
8. Dr.Who
9. Terminator

I didn't care for the rest.

Battlestar Galactica (the newer one), Twilight Zone (the original)

Shows I enjoyed that haven't been mentioned:

Space: 1999
Kolchack: The Night Stalker
Logan's Run
Quark
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Fantastic Journey
The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman
My Favorite Martian
Lost in Space
The Avengers

Animated:
Jonny Quest (the original series -- Jonny was voiced by Tim Matheson, Otter of Animal House)

Forum List

Back