best hobby project?

rasing chickens

i grew some that stood 3' tall

and pigs, pigs like to drink beer btw, one can assume a brew related friendship , and never really have to bother with all the lame exchanges that go down at the bar ......

great time saver.....

~S~

Now that is funny! Drinking beer with pigs sounds like one hell of a relaxed hobby! LOL

so whats people's hobby here and what is the best project you accomplished?

mine is basically anything to do with computers. My best project so far was a hobby OS. I didn't get as far as I would like due to time constraints, but I did get through handling interrupts and such through the APIC and was starting to implement PCI recognition and drivers.

my other was a very in depth security and anti-security set of work for the linux kernel.

Children's Books Online: the Rosetta Project started out as just a hobby.

It gave me something to do when I was too sick (too crazy, actually) to do anything truly productive in the real world.

15 years later and I'm still at it.

You know how it is, folks.

Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

that is awesome! I never heard of it til now but the idea is amazing. I think I will be hitting the store

These are some really awesome things!

This summer I hope to build a RC car from scratch with my stepson. I have it planned out just need to actually do it. we will build everything but the wireless controller of course. that comes as a kit

Two hobbies - Wildlife photography and coin collecting. Just completed a professional-level photography course and I have a hugh coin collection.

rasing chickens

i grew some that stood 3' tall

and pigs, pigs like to drink beer btw, one can assume a brew related friendship , and never really have to bother with all the lame exchanges that go down at the bar ......

great time saver.....

~S~

I've drank a few beers with pigs in a bar before.

My last and likely final hobby was designing and building a 4WD power chair.
Worked out nice. direct drive 5 hp Baldour wheel motors. 6 microprocessor control units.
240 AH of battery power and a top speed of 35 mph. drives pretty much like a zero turn lawnmower.

It was a bit tricky working out the motor control programs for the turns. Have to figure in the speed and angle of turn.
Each wheel motor has an optical encoder to measure the speed. Very stable with 150 lbs of batteries mounted low.
It will take me anyplace on my farm.
And should go about 20 miles between charges, I have only taken it about 5 miles from home though. I found a semi lazy boy reclining boat seat for it. Comfy.

Drives right up the ramp into my van and latches down in place of the drivers seat.
I built it all back while I still could.

Now I just mostly read and post here. It soon will be time to get my pool ready though.

What do you use to tie everything together? A PLC or micro processor? or something else? Sounds really cool and all the talk of encoders and such makes me miss parts of my old job.

Little minature microprocessor controller modules. You can get them in various confrgurations for A/d conversions point control LCD display drivers, etc. easy to program in a variation of basic and pretty cheap. I forget the brand of the top of my head, but I got mine from Digikey. The development kit cost around $100 as I recall and then the additional modules are around $50 or less each.
They have flash ram onboard to hold the program and store data.

Here's a fountain.

fountain.jpg

and another:

fountain-1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back