Best athletic moment?

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
I do not think so. Winning 6 individual gold medals in swimming does not count? 8 gold medals total?

I can just imagine if an American won these two sprints, wait one has, I don't recall, but did they trumpet him as the greatest athletic moment?

Amazing feat indeed, but I suggest 6 individual gold medals setting records in several of them over shadows this. If you have never swum before you have no idea how much is required for that.

I do not think so. Winning 6 individual gold medals in swimming does not count? 8 gold medals total?

I can just imagine if an American won these two sprints, wait one has, I don't recall, but did they trumpet him as the greatest athletic moment?

Amazing feat indeed, but I suggest 6 individual gold medals setting records in several of them over shadows this. If you have never swum before you have no idea how much is required for that.

:eusa_eh:

No offense, but you have a gift for whatever is the opposite of clarity.

I can't tell if you're trumpeting or detracting from the accomplishments of Phelps.

Don't you ever argue with yourself? Some have a certain gift you know.

:eusa_eh:

No offense, but you have a gift for whatever is the opposite of clarity.

I can't tell if you're trumpeting or detracting from the accomplishments of Phelps.

The article I linked to detracts from his accomplishments by claiming a man that ran two races is somehow better than him.

Yeah, look it's just the bloody media cranking up something into a dispute that they can sell.

Usein Bolt is Jamaican. He won the 100m and 200m. Great runner.

Michael Phelps is an American. He won everything in swimming. The only things he didn't win were because he couldn't enter because he was a bloke.

So, you have the fastest man in the world over 100m and 200m and you have the greatest swimmer in any Olympics and the media is trying to compare them? I would suggest that both Bolt and Phelps would reject this false comparison. I bloody well am.

Anyway while I'm here - Carl Lewis is still right up there in terms of achievement.

But - I am biased I know - the late Al Oerter is above all of them for me. Four gold medals in four Olympics (Melbourne, Rome, Tokyo, Mexico City - and the one in Rome was won with a word record thow AND Oerter was taped up because he'd torn ligaments) in men's discus.

Oerter is still for me the greatest Olympian.

I agree with you here. I think I read/heard somewhere that swimming is 3 times as hard on the body as running is. It makes sense, too.

I agree with you here. I think I read/heard somewhere that swimming is 3 times as hard on the body as running is. It makes sense, too.

Yeah, but man, those Jamican's are FAST!

Another World Record is broken by them tonight in the 4X100.

*If you really want to have a toned body, swimming laps is one of the best ways to achieve that btw!

Forum List

Back